RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Michelin Cross Terrains on SALE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02 | 07:38 AM
RXKen
Driver

Default Michelin Cross Terrains on SALE!

Tire Rack has the 235 70/16 Michelin Cross Terrains (RX300 comes with 225's) on sale for $88 each! That's $51 less PER TIRE than the 225's. I just ordered a set to replace our awful Goodyear Integritys that have seen 3 flats in 2 years and another one losing air left and right.

I couldn't pass up saving that much per tire and getting the 235 size that I really wanted. If I understand it correctly, the 245's will rub, but 235's are OK. Anyone here able to verify that? I am remembering some thread from last year but couldn't find it.

Here's a link:
Tire Rack Tire Sale on Michelins
Old 06-03-02 | 02:18 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

I don't have 235s on, but I remember several posts regarding them. All said they don't rub.
Old 06-05-02 | 09:35 AM
RXKen
Driver

Default Installed the Cross Terrains

I had the Michelin Cross Terrains installed on my wife's car today, the ones I ordered from Tire Rack came in. 235 70 16's, they don't rub at all. I'll have to take a photo of the clearance for everyone to see.

The car not only LOOKS better with these tires on, but the ride is just as quiet, in fact quieter around corners where they don't squeal as much because they handle better which brings me to better handling too! A win-win in my book, so far, in 20+ miles of driving the new tires, I'm happy with them and glad to be leaving the Goodyear Integrity tires in the dumpster!

Thumbs up for Tire Rack and the Michelins!
Old 06-06-02 | 02:22 PM
white01
Driver

I cant wait to give my GoodYear Integrity inner-tubes to the local marina. They should work quite well keeping the boats from thrashing against the docks
Old 06-19-02 | 02:51 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor
CL Folding 100000

Speaking from experience, the Integrity would make a better tire swing than tennis shoes for your car.

A 245/70R-16 will work on the vehicle but rub slightly when making hard turns (rubs on inner fender liner), but will not damage anything. 235's are perfect!
Old 06-20-02 | 05:11 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by martins_acct
.... when making hard turns .....
He he...my RX can't do a hard turn. It needs an acre to do a u-turn
Old 06-23-02 | 01:43 PM
oldguy
Driver

Thank you. I've ordered a set for my wifes RX.

Edit: They do not want to sell these because of the size difference and say they have experience that they rub. Not statically, but with driving. I've cancelled my order, will look for the former links for information.

Last edited by oldguy; 06-24-02 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-25-02 | 02:09 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

haha an arc to do a U-turn? shoot, thast only if we are lucky.. sometimes a 3 point turn LoL
Old 06-26-02 | 03:55 PM
white01
Driver

I had an order in for the Cross-Terrains then canceled it because ......... I went with the Kumho Ecsta STX's 235/70/16 "H" rated tires instead- "dude" they don't rub. I did a bit of research on them and I actually called a couple of different advisors at the "Rack" to garner different opinions on the brand and model. Both came back with positive marks with a most of the references based on the performance of Kumho's race tires. Which I'm told cost less than the competition but perform almost as good, right up to the limit. We all know that the race track is the breeding ground for most performance tires, so they had my attention. Not to mention for my purposes: no snow, hardly any mud, just heat and rain. I was able to go with the more aggressive tire. It's funny that no one I speak to has anything good to say about the Integrity. Lexus must have went with the softest tire around to make sure customers were happy with the "pillow ride" or could proclaim their "SUV drives like a Lexus" <- whatever man!

The Michelin may last longer but I'm also concerned about handling. Many of you say the Cross-Terrain handles well too. I don't doubt it as, I am familiar with the quality and durability typical of the brand, and for the most part seek them out. Although, this car is currently governed at a buck -12, I like how the speed rated - in this case H (130mph) tires feel. I had them installed this past Saturday, and I was at least able to test them in a serious downpour on the highway. This storm was part of the deluge of rain South Florida has encountered over the last couple of weeks. They performed admirably, especially in the wet, the asymmetric tread design performs the way it should. I was rolling at a good clip, and I didn't detect any signs of hydroplaining or pulling (FWD model) from the RX. Many cars along I-75 didn't fair as well, as I saw at least six separate incidents, were I'm assuming cars had hydroplaned off the road, and got stuck in the grass median separating the North and Southbound lanes. My evaluation has been temporarily suspended as I'm out of town in Boston, and the car has been parked since Sunday. Another thing that I like is that the RX looks much better, and the tread pattern is waaay more aggressive than anything else in this size. This is probably the most fun you can have on the south side of a larger diameter tire. I'm the type of person that will roll stock rims before I put something that's wacked on. For now I'm happy. Although, this is an itermmediary step as I want those L-sportline joints

I take tires seriously, this is the first car that I have bought with Goodyear tires installed. I will not scrimp on cost. However, if this tire performs as expected ( it costs more than than the Integrity and about the same as the Cross Terrains in this size) it will be a win, win situation- stay tuned
Old 06-26-02 | 06:48 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Default Kumho

You sure you didn't buy the Kumho's for the sunglasses?
Old 06-27-02 | 10:26 AM
white01
Driver

nah, don't really like the look of the Momo's ....but I'll take em'
Old 06-27-02 | 10:34 AM
white01
Driver

nah, don't really like the look of the Momo glasses ...I'll find sombody to give them to though
Old 08-10-02 | 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I need new tires for the wife's RX300. She had Goodyear Integrity's first (crappola) and now she has Michelin Symmetry's which have been excellent. The Cross Terrain is fine I'm sure but seems to be overkill for the kind of driving she does (90% highway).

Comments welcomed, thanks.
Old 08-10-02 | 12:19 PM
RXKen
Driver

Default Tire Recommendations

We've been very happy with the Cross Terrains, I don't think you'd be disappointed and the larger size does NOT rub.

Kumhos? I am taking a set back and exchanging for a set of Bridgestone S03's. The Kumhos tend to flat-spot after even just a day, and don't have the grip of the SO3's but they do cost less. Tire Rack is doing the swap free of charge if I pay the difference in the tire price.

This is for a Porsche 986 GT3 S that I track on occassion, so to me performance and ride are important and the Kumho's didn't cut it in my opinion. I have no experience with their SUV/Truck tires.
Old 08-10-02 | 12:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/P. No OWL. 60,000mi. They apprear to only come in 235/70/16, though.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/index.asp

Here's pics to compare all Duelers.
Be sure to scroll down.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 08-10-02 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Cross Terrains on SALE!