RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How Lexus is screwing me on my Transmision

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 09:32 AM
redtoesblue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How Lexus is screwing me on my Transmision

I have 2000 RX300. Transmission went out Dec 2008. I had an independent shop install a Lexus Transmission purchased at a Lexus dealer. Dealer gives 12 month warranty. October 2009 (10 months later) I was having issues with the transmission shifting rough, took it to a dealer and they said I was crazy and couldn't find anything. They lied to me, but they gave me no choice but to take my car back and give them their loaner.

February 2010 (14 months after transmission was replaced) I can no longer drive proper as it is still having issues. I take it to the dealer, they say there is nothing wrong with it and it shifts fine. I told them that they were lying and ask for a drive with a technician. My request was denied as they had their top 3 technicians look at it and whatever I was experiencing was normal. They claimed I was "hypersensitive".

3 days after the above incident, I took it to another dealer where they found the problem. They were nice about everything and offered to do a test drive (basically proper lexus customer care and service). Now Lexus is saying they will do nothing as it is out of the 12 month warranty.

My concern is that my first transmission lasted 10 years. Now this one lasts technically less than 12 months. I took it to the dealer the first time under warranty and was told that there is nothing wrong, when in fact there was something wrong. A transmission should last more than 12 months.

Can someone please help me? I don't know what to do further. I have reached out to Lexus corporate via phone, but I am unsure how much help they can provide me.
Old 03-15-10, 10:24 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Gather your documentation and go to small claims court.
Old 03-15-10, 11:27 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Talking to Lexus (not the dealer) tell them that the first Lexus dealership has been in denial and they never acknowledged the problem. Had they acknowledged or looked harder they would have discovered the problem the 2nd dealership found. The only thing to be concerned about the time difference between dealership1 and dealership2 [Just in case, Lexus defends both dealerships and says the problem happened in the time gap].

Not that I recommend but it might be interesting to take it back to dealership1 and see if they say there is still no problem.

What does the independent shop say? They are the middle entity. Why are they not the one dealing with Lexus/dealerships. Depending on your sales/repair contract, if there is a breach, you may have to take them to the court and they then have to go after Lexus.

Salim
Old 03-15-10, 04:46 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Talking to Lexus (not the dealer) tell them that the first Lexus dealership has been in denial and they never acknowledged the problem. Had they acknowledged or looked harder they would have discovered the problem the 2nd dealership found. The only thing to be concerned about the time difference between dealership1 and dealership2 [Just in case, Lexus defends both dealerships and says the problem happened in the time gap].

Not that I recommend but it might be interesting to take it back to dealership1 and see if they say there is still no problem.

What does the independent shop say? They are the middle entity. Why are they not the one dealing with Lexus/dealerships. Depending on your sales/repair contract, if there is a breach, you may have to take them to the court and they then have to go after Lexus.

Salim
Dealer 1 Diagnostics: October 2009 - Nothing Found (Inside of Warranty Period)
Dealer 2 Diagnostics: March 4th 2010 - Nothing Found
Dealer 3 Diagnostics: March 8th 2010 - Found the problem

Dealer 2 was so extremely rude that I am sure I would receive better service at a ford dealership.

I am speaking with Lexus now and they are saying that they are looking into this and will be speaking with the guy at Dealer 3. What is reasonable to ask of them? Replacement trans & installation? or just the transmission?

Independent shop says that it is Lexus's problem as the warranty is through them and if there was something wrong with it, they would have to fix it as their labor was done properly.
Old 03-15-10, 04:48 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
Gather your documentation and go to small claims court.
On what basis? I mean, it is technically out of warranty. I am not sure if the judge would look at my case favorably.
Old 03-15-10, 05:49 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by redtoesblue
Dealer 1 Diagnostics: October 2009 - Nothing Found (Inside of Warranty Period)
Dealer 2 Diagnostics: March 4th 2010 - Nothing Found
Dealer 3 Diagnostics: March 8th 2010 - Found the problem

Dealer 2 was so extremely rude that I am sure I would receive better service at a ford dealership.

I am speaking with Lexus now and they are saying that they are looking into this and will be speaking with the guy at Dealer 3. What is reasonable to ask of them? Replacement trans & installation? or just the transmission?

Independent shop says that it is Lexus's problem as the warranty is through them and if there was something wrong with it, they would have to fix it as their labor was done properly.
Please review your work order to determine who bought the transmission from the dealer. If you bought it and had it brought in then you have to deal with Lexus. If the shop bought it then they are the ones to make the warranty claim.

The three way situation makes it more complicated. I would try to get in writing from the repair shop that
a) The repair was done in good fashion.
b) The transmission developed a problem within 12 months
c) The problem has nothing to do with their workmanship.
d) If the problem is traced down to their shoddy work, they will pay for the repairs and damage caused.

If the failure happened outside of warranty period [if determined by arbitration/court-of-law] then the answer is obvious. You can still rely on Lexus goodwill [the goodwill part depends upon how you interact with Lexus as well as how the dealership #3 handles your case].

Remedy depends upon the contract and typically it is limited to what was furnished. Assuming the warranty was full replacement, it will be limited to giving you a new transmission. [court can award damages too, but realistically max you will get is a transmission, and in a good-will a %cost of transmission].

You need to think beyond as well and see who will do the imminent repairs. If you had Lexus handle all the repairs [although they may have used the same of another transmission shop], your situation may have been different. sure it would have cost you more, but it might have saved you some aggravation. I would suggest launching a trial balloon with dealership #3 for possible repairs. This may sweeten the pot for them.

I am surprised at the independent for washing their hands off. Is there more to it?

Salim
Old 03-15-10, 06:03 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by redtoesblue
3 days after the above incident, I took it to another dealer where they found the problem.

^^--Just curious...what problem was actually found?
What explanaition did they give you about the problem?
Old 03-16-10, 08:06 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

If the problem was reported while under warranty and you have documentation to prove this, then there should be no problem. Unfortunately, Lexus only warrant the parts if that's all you bought from them, and the installer will only warrant the installation. So it looks like, at best, you will get study for a 2nd install fee.