RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

iPod & Sirius Connections for 2002 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 11:04 AM
FastEC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod & Sirius Connections for 2002 RX300

Can anyone recommend the best method for connecting my iPod to my 2002 RX300 stereo? I already have my Sirius satellite radio wired in through an FM modulator and have been using my iPod for years with a tape deck adaptor, which works but isn't the best looking and ejects frequently. Also, with my Sirius radio, you have to crank the stereo volume to listen to it at normal levels compared to cd, ipod and terrestrial radio. What is the best way to hook these up? I'm not the audiophile geek type, so it doesn't have to be a complicated setup, just want to have a cleaner and more efficient setup for my iPod and Sirius without having to replace the stereo on an older vehicle with 145k miles. Also, can you disconnect the tape deck and cd changer to have a direct adapter connection into the stereo for the iPod and Sirius using the tape and cd buttons on the stereo? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-10, 12:35 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I did my XM installation about 1 1/2 years ago and wrote it up here on this forum. Prior to that I had wires running everywhere and input through one of those cassette audio pickup devices. PM me if you want to discuss this by phone. My solution did require the fabrication of cable adapters (i.e., break-out cables), but no splicing into the cables.
Old 03-27-10, 08:20 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think with an iPod, you need a line-in converter or something to get the volume from headphone level to line-in levels.

Here's my sirius install completed a few weeks ago with wires pretty well hidden. I bought a tape deck converter and an auxiliary jack from wal-mart for < $20.

By splicing the wires to the cigarette lighter next to the shifter, I could run a 2nd aux power jack behind the radio so no wires can be seen, and the cigarette lighter is still free.

I also ran the tape deck wire between the volume and temperature ***** flush with the radio line, so you barely notice it. Overall, looks pretty damn clean. The red arrow below shows where the tape converter wire is.

sorry for cell-phone picture, lol
Attached Thumbnails iPod &amp; Sirius Connections for 2002 RX300-sirius_install.jpg  
Old 03-28-10, 08:56 PM
KevininSD
Driver School Candidate

I just did an XM install using the XM Skydock (http://www.xmradio.com/skydock/index.xmc) and the Sirius FM direct adapter. Of course, an iPhone is a pre-requisite for this, but if you have one, the combo is hard to beat. I have the XM antenna mounted inside the windshield, right behind the driver-side tweeter on the dash. All of the cabling runs behind the dash and comes out to the cigarette lighter area though I hole I made where the traction control button would be. The sound is great and this setup gives you access to your iPod, XM and Pandora radio. I can post a pic if interested.
Old 03-29-10, 07:56 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KevininSD
I just did an XM install using the XM Skydock (http://www.xmradio.com/skydock/index.xmc) and the Sirius FM direct adapter. Of course, an iPhone is a pre-requisite for this, but if you have one, the combo is hard to beat. I have the XM antenna mounted inside the windshield, right behind the driver-side tweeter on the dash. All of the cabling runs behind the dash and comes out to the cigarette lighter area though I hole I made where the traction control button would be. The sound is great and this setup gives you access to your iPod, XM and Pandora radio. I can post a pic if interested.
Please do post a pic! I thought about drilling a small hole also to hide the wire better, but opted against it in the end.
Old 03-29-10, 01:17 PM
KevininSD
Driver School Candidate

Default Pics of my install

Here is my XM Skydock install. This is in a 2001 AWD RX-300.

Here's a closeup of the wiring

This is the XM antenna. I had to put the camera way up to see it. From the driver's position, this is barely visible behind the tweeter.