RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

A slight different transmission failure question - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 07:15 PM
itsmeegan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A slight different transmission failure question - please help!

Ok, I've searched the plethora of other transmission failure threads here and can't find the exact question and answers I'm looking for. Here's my RX300 background info:
2002 RX300
125,000 miles
Last transmission service at 60,000 mi
Now exhibits slow 1-2 shifts and has a whine that is worst when it's cold, but is always present (although much quieter) when driving down the highway.
My question: How does the transmission failure manifest itself? For example,does it slowly begin to shift worse, suddenly get stuck in one gear, refuse to move out of Park, etc.? What I'm trying to learn is whether it's a hard or soft failure, so to speak. Will it leave me stranded or will I just get really annoyed and be able to drive it a ways to the dealer?

Here's why I'm asking - I'm moving from Tennessee to Canada in 2 months. If the failure is a hard failure, then I will either get a new transmission put in before I leave (because it's so expensive in Canada for everything) or I'll buy a new RX300 before I leave. If I can expect plenty of warning of the failure, then I may wait and drive it over the border to the U.S. for a new transmission if I need it. The squeeze is that I won't be allowed to sell my car (or trade it in) while I'm in Canada. It has to leave when I do. So, I need to make the right choice now.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-22-10, 03:36 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How deep into Canada will you be going? How far from a US Lexus dealer/major US city? If it is only a few miles (km), like Windsor, that could make a difference.
Old 03-22-10, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I would honestly say that if the last time you had to change out the tranny fluid was 60K, I'd have that fluid switched out.

I would run a max of 15,000 miles on Type IV fluid before changing it out. Not that it can run longer, but the only way I'd run something say 60K would be with a synthetic ATF as I'm doing now with Redline D4 and previously Amsoil ATF.

One thing to know is that the earlier 99-00 RX300s and more so with AWD seem to be more prone to the tranny issue than the 01-03 models.

If you're going to change out the ATF now, change it out 2 times first with either a week of driving or about 100 miles apart, and then on the third change, have the the transmission filter changed along with of course checking the transmission pan to see what residue is on the magnets in the bottom of the pan.

Kind of funny, same issue I had in Mexico, you couldn't sell the car, so you had to either donate the car to the government or have it towed across the U.S. border and turn in your import sticker at the border. Luckily, I never had to do that but we did have to work on the tranny one time.

There's nothing really in particular that might give away a tranny issue. Some people have said that everything was smooth and suddenly, bang, while others reported some issues (vehicle turning off for no apparent reason at a light), finding small metallic bits on last transmission fluid changeout.

I'd also like to know if your vehicle is AWD or FWD, because if it is AWD, changing out the transfer case fluid and rear differential fluid (these are both separate areas from the transmission) can improve the gear shifts, particularly 2nd to 3rd shift. I've seen this on the drag strip back in Mexico and even taking off on red lights after switching out those fluids.
Old 03-24-10, 02:32 PM
itsmeegan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far guys. To answer your questions:
1. My RX is FWD only.
2. I'll be living in a small town about an hour SW of Ottawa & about 35 miles from the 1000 Island Bridge cross point. I think the closest Lexus dealer is in Syracuse, NY, which is about 2 hours away.

The info on the transmission oil change frequency is completely news to me. My Lexus dealer in Memphis never mentioned this. I'm really worried now that my transmission has suffered significant wear. Honestly, I'm kinda pissed off about it. I would have gladly paid to do the more frequent service if they would have suggested it.