RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing reflective glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 07:28 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing reflective glass

Has anyone done this? Im tired of the reflective glass and want to paint my car but I feel that the glass and "mirror" tint limit my color choices.

I can either replace the glass or trade in for a 330. Does anyone know if companies even do this? Im assuming its just the back windows that need to be replaced right?

Last edited by robertrios; 07-12-10 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-22-10, 09:14 PM
ivan1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was actually thinking about this because i want tints in the front but when i went to a car glass replacement shop they told me it would not be worth the price i would actually pay. but i would love to hear how much you would be quoted for when you do find out.
Old 03-22-10, 09:17 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I was thinking about ordering glass from a Harrier. I cant find anything online...it would be very expensive to ship. Maybe a Harrier from Mexico...Lexmex- did you see any down in mexico back in the day? They had clear windows with no factory tint mix in them right? I know that the glass on the doors is one peice with the sissor like metal thing that raises the window up and down....so that would all need to be purchased as one.
Old 03-23-10, 05:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
I was thinking about ordering glass from a Harrier. I cant find anything online...it would be very expensive to ship. Maybe a Harrier from Mexico...Lexmex- did you see any down in mexico back in the day? They had clear windows with no factory tint mix in them right? I know that the glass on the doors is one peice with the sissor like metal thing that raises the window up and down....so that would all need to be purchased as one.
There's no Harriers down there or Lexus for that matter. The only Harriers I ever saw were 2 belonging to Asian diplomats I met in my earlier years down there. If you want Harriers, try Jamaica, I saw them all over the place when I visited Kingston 3 years ago. There was a place in Kingston, http://www.bertsautoparts.com/ where I got my Harrier Emblem. I went to the Toyota dealer (that's where Lexus is sold out of), but they didn't have my emblem in stock.

I'm not sure about the Bahamas, but I have seen a Harrier or two on cardomain from Nassau.
Old 03-23-10, 07:53 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Window tint

Is the window tint on a piece of film between two pieces of glass or is the tint applied to the glass? If applied to the glass the tint should be able to be removed by immersion in a chemical bath.
Prescription sun glasses are submerged in a solution to tint the lenses. The tint can be removed from prescription sunglasses in the same manner.
My 78 Toyota FJ40 came from Arizona and all the windows are tinted and it is not a film applied to the windows. As far as I am aware of there were not any FJ40's delivered with factory tinted windows like you see today.
It might be worth a little research time on the net. If it is possible to remove the tint a person would save a pocket full of money over locating, shipping and having the windows replaced.
Old 03-24-10, 05:16 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

interesting...i never thought of that. Ill have to do some research...if anyone has done anything like that let me know.
Old 03-24-10, 06:07 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bearbrew
Is the window tint on a piece of film between two pieces of glass or is the tint applied to the glass?
I accidently scraped a piece of the tint off of the rear window. So, I definitely think it is not embedded and can be removed.
Old 03-24-10, 08:37 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

really? on the inside right? Are you sure you didnt have tint on top of your glass from a previous owner? If thats so then ill take mine off this weekend!
Old 03-25-10, 12:56 AM
bob2200
Driver

Originally Posted by robertrios
really? on the inside right? Are you sure you didnt have tint on top of your glass from a previous owner?
On the inside. I'm original owner. Anybody near Ft Lauderdale FL (Tamarac) is welcome to PM me and come by and look.
Old 03-26-10, 10:53 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

interesting....could you take a pic maybe??? Is the glass in the "scraped off" area clear? Im wondering if there are multiple coats or something???

I would love to scrape it off but it would take removal of the tint and then removal or the oem stuff....not fun.
Old 03-27-10, 06:25 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window tint

From the information I have read, the Lexus RX300 came with tinted windows from the factory. The windows behind the driver and front passenger were tinted darker then the forward windows. The tint was was a solution tint not a film.
Some dealers, depending on location, may have added a film tint to help reduce heat transfer in hotter climates.
Usually, if film tint is applied, you will be able to see a narrow gap along the top edge of roll down windows where no film is applied. This gap is to help eliminate film peeling when the window is raised and lowered. By chance you do not have an approximate 1/4" film gap at the top of the window take a magnifier and see if you can see the film. Unaided you may not see the film as high quality film is quite thin.
Also, any bubbles or change in tonal color will denote applied film.

Bearbrew
Old 03-27-10, 07:48 AM
bob2200
Driver

Default Scaped Tint, 2 photos

I purchased the car new in 2002 in Arlington, Virginia. The photos didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I'm wearing a green shirt, which is part of the background coloration.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing reflective glass-rxwindow_out.jpg   Replacing reflective glass-rxwindow_in.jpg