RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keep the '99 RX300 or get another car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 10:33 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keep the '99 RX300 or get another car?

I have a 1999 RX300 with just over 135,000 miles... I believe a 90k service was done but a 120k was not done out of my own mental retardation and lack of money, and the mechanic at a shop that specialize in Lexus strongly recommended it ($1,200 for the 120k service). He told me this after clearing the P0441 and P0301 codes that popped up yesterday.

In the 10+ years the car has been in our family, it's had one other CEL before yesterday: P0171 and P4050. This happened over 2 years ago (thread here), and these two times are pretty much the only times ever the CEL popped up. Besides a cracked exhaust and manifold, a bunch of dings and scratches here and there, but overall the car is in decent shape. I was able to drain the transmission fluid (thanks to you guys) but that was like 17k miles ago...

Now, this car that I'm driving isn't mine; it is under my parents' name, but I'm the sole driver. After hearing about this, they are suggesting that I don't do any "major" maintenances or repairs, let the car eventually die off and get another car. Lease it, buy it used or new, who cares but it doesn't matter, they're strongly siding with not putting in money towards this 10 year old car.

I've read a bunch of posts in this forum about fellow RX300 users that have 200k+ miles on it. I would love to be able to ride this car out for that long through better maintenance, but my parents are arguing that it'll be cheaper to get a $200/month car payment on a newer car that'll last me much longer, especially if the RX might last for a couple years after spending another few thousand on repairs and maintenance. They have their point, and obviously I can't comeback with "what if the new car is a lemon and explodes" counterargument all the time.

So, what do you guys think? What's the longevity on the RX? I've heard some horrible stories about bad trannies, but (knock on wood) this car seems to have escaped that for the most part. I realize that it's kind of silly to have strangers put in their input on this personal family issue, but I'd like to hear you guys out on how you would approach "maintaining this car or tossing it." I love this car and I would hate to part from it.
Old 03-26-10, 10:47 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmmmm Id say sell it now while its still decent and use that money towards a new ride. you will not get much if the car isnt running and the tranny is dead. Someone else can purchase the car put some cash into it and get a great deal. I think maybe it has run its course for you but has life left for someone else. Maybe someone that can do alot of this work on their own.
Old 03-27-10, 12:05 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I love this car and I would hate to part from it.
I can relate to that. I would think it would be cheaper to hold it the vast majorityof the time. There are cases that would be otherwise, like putting in a large amount of money and the car being totaled in a collision, and stuff like that. I had one car in the past for 19 1/2 years (1972 Mercedes diesel sedan) and parts availability became a factor in my replacing it. My father had a 1969 SAAB for 28 1/2 years, and he quit driving before the car quit.
Old 03-27-10, 04:47 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
I love this car and I would hate to part from it.
I can definitely indentify with you here too...you have a tough decision to make. Your parents make a good argument too.

The way I tend to look at things when it comes to putting money into an older car as opposed to buying one is this. There was a post somewhere else on this board in which someone was debating on whether to put $5k into thier RX300 for a transmission replacement, or to buy a new SUV for $18k with a 10/100 powertrain warranty (Hyundai or Kia??). Anyway, my answer to that question was this: If your car is otherwise in good shape, and all it needs is some preventative maintenance for $1200 done, I would say go for it. Even if you have a transmission go bad for $5k, it is still cheaper than buying a new car at $18k (Consider too it is not the same car...i.e. comparing apples to oranges. A Kia is not a Lexus). Divide the cost of the repair over the length of time you would take out a loan for or lease a new car and compare these costs then.

I say this not knowing how your RX has been cared for over the past 10 years. I can honestly tell you that if my 300 was in the same boat, I would put the money into it no question. Mine has been babied for 10 years (my mom and dad had it) and they did have some 02 sensor issues many years back and they got those resolved and the car now just has a little over 47k on it. I expect that car to last for many years to come. Also, I don't drive it every day, it is only a "weekend" car.

Uh oh...I am starting to ramble. Good luck!

JBL

Last edited by jbl-1985; 03-27-10 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 04:59 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 1999 has 178K on it. If I were in your position, I would put the money into maintenance and keep the RX as long as you can.
Old 03-27-10, 01:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would put the money into fixing it up or regular maintenance. Stick with the RX,it's a great car and it'll last a long time if you just keep up the routine oil changes, etc.
Old 03-27-10, 07:01 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Lets see what maintenenace items we are talking about.

In no particular order:

1. Change spark plugs around 110k.
2. Flush out brake fluid.
3. Coolant change.
4. Air filter change and cabin filter change.
5. Diff (if equipped) oil change.
6. Brake pad change (when needed).
7. IACV/maf clean-up
8. Engine oil + filter change.
9. Transmission drain and fill.
10. Timing belt (90k multiples)

See what is needed and how many of these you can handle on your own. I think after 100K if you do the rest on your own or go to a trusted mechanic. I think the 120k service can be done lot cheaper.

The question about keeping or selling should be addressed if you are faced with major repair bill. If you dont do the maintenance that day will be lot sooner.

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pants or you are tired of the current vehicle, just start stashing monthly payment in the bank. And if and when the day comes when you are faced with major repair, take the saved up money and go buy yourself a vehicle you want.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-28-10 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 11:12 AM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep it....I have a 2001 Rx with 90K...I plan to do the timing belt/water pump at 100K...

The 120K service should be considerably less then $1200 if the T-belt has been done...it should be spark plugs and some fluids...

Always get a service quote fron a Toyota dealer ...they know the engine well and are less expensive then Lexus
Good Luck
Old 03-28-10, 12:59 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Lets see what maintenenace items we are talking about.

In no particular order:

1. Change spark plugs around 110k.
2. Flush out brake fluid.
3. Coolant change.
4. Air filter change and cabin filter change.
5. Diff (if equipped) oil change.
6. Brake pad change (when needed).
7. IACV/maf clean-up
8. Engine oil + filter change.
9. Transmission drain and fill.
10. Timing belt (90k multiples)
Most of those are done easily enough if motivated. In the 9 years and 200,000+ miles I've had my RX, I've done the majority of the maintenance myself and have found it to be pretty reasonable. Only #10 is a PITA. I agree in keeping it going. It's a good car and will take care of you if you take care of it.
Old 03-28-10, 04:00 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BurnishedGoldRX
Most of those are done easily enough if motivated.
Do you really think it's an easy job to get to the rear bank of spark plugs? That is one job I may take it in for when it is due.

JBL
Old 03-28-10, 06:32 PM
Mut
Rookie

Thanks for the replies, guys. This place is always reliable

I'm going to read over the posts more thoroughly and so more thinking and research. It's a tough decision so it's going to take some time.

I'll try the local Toyota dealer to see how much the 120k service would cost. The closest Lexus dealership is over 50 miles away.
Old 03-28-10, 07:05 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is included in the $1200 at 120K maintenance? If timing belt/water pump, and plugs were done back in 90K, then +30K is not time for either, so what is left for $1200?
Old 03-28-10, 07:51 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Do you really think it's an easy job to get to the rear bank of spark plugs? That is one job I may take it in for when it is due.

JBL
I was able to do it without removing the air intake. I would be much easier if you did, however. I used the suggestion in the DIY message on here that having a good selection of extensions for your ratchet is helpful. I had to do it without actually seeing any of them but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.
Old 03-29-10, 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BurnishedGoldRX
I was able to do it without removing the air intake. I would be much easier if you did, however. I used the suggestion in the DIY message on here that having a good selection of extensions for your ratchet is helpful. I had to do it without actually seeing any of them but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.
I'm still a long ways away from doing my plugs again, but I'm sure I'll be using something even a little different and more handy the next time around.

I might consider also taking the intake manifold off for cleaning purposes, even though I no longer have the PCV hoses/crankcase hoses hooked up, but I know there's residue in there.
Old 03-29-10, 09:44 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

The procedure is lot simpler if you have one of the spark plug sockets .. which has a rubber grommet to hold on to the plug. 1/4" ratchet and 1/4" extension is all you need. There is not enough room for 3/8 stuff or torque wrench.

Salim
[hopefully we can get back on the main topic]

Quick Reply: Keep the '99 RX300 or get another car?