RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

corner light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 11:17 AM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default corner light bulb

Hello!
My driver side light bulb (indicated by the arrow) has died... i was wondering if anybody knows how to change it. Also, I would like to get a white color bulb, rather than a boring yellow ones... If you have have comments or advice, please post. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails corner light bulb-1234.gif  
Old 03-29-10, 12:50 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to recall reading that driving around with certain cool white bulbs, instead of boring yellow ones, is not legal in most states. I'm not sure if that applies to that bulb, or your state, but it might be worth checking.
Old 03-29-10, 01:23 PM
ivan1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you remove you inner lining of you fender you will be able to get to it easily. that is the only way without removing the actual headlight. find the bulb number and then you can replace it with any color you want since it really does not provide any light it's just there for when your headlights aren't on so that others can see you coming.
Old 03-30-10, 01:21 AM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool

Well...

I've got one that's burned out now on the drivers side on a RX300 1999. Its WHITE. Per Sylvania the replacement is #168XL. I will be changing it when my HID kit for my fog lights arrives. You can get to both fog and running lights by removing a few bolts and pulling the fender shields back. It can be done with the tires left on but its easyer with it removed.

Jerry
Old 03-31-10, 01:02 PM
nocar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ivan1
if you remove you inner lining of you fender you will be able to get to it easily. that is the only way without removing the actual headlight. find the bulb number and then you can replace it with any color you want since it really does not provide any light it's just there for when your headlights aren't on so that others can see you coming.
yeah i did it on my gf's rx300 there are abourt 6-8 screws/nuts to be removed fromt he fender lining
and u can grab the bulb from under the car

took 15mins or so
Old 04-01-10, 09:25 PM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil
Well...

I've got one that's burned out now on the drivers side on a RX300 1999. Its WHITE. Per Sylvania the replacement is #168XL. I will be changing it when my HID kit for my fog lights arrives. You can get to both fog and running lights by removing a few bolts and pulling the fender shields back. It can be done with the tires left on but its easyer with it removed.

Jerry
is the sylvania #168XL same bulb as the license plate bulb? cause that's how it shows on their website...
Old 04-01-10, 10:27 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool

Yes it is (168)....I also question if it is the right bulb for the running lights. It (168) is listed on several sites for marker, lic plate and day light running lights. I bought a set. I guess I'll find out if its the right bulb when I get it apart. (I'll post in about a week). I am also changing the turn signals and converting the fogs to HID 6000K.

I an waiting for the HID conversion kits to be delivered from DDM. I ordered them five days ago and just got a email tonight that they were picked up by UPS and I can expect delivery on April 7TH!!!.

I'm not impressed with DDM or UPS at this point. I thought that I payed for 2 DAY delivery. It took DDM five days to just get it shipped?

Jerry
Old 04-02-10, 12:25 PM
ivan1
Driver

Originally Posted by Jerry Stil

I'm not impressed with DDM or UPS at this point. I thought that I payed for 2 DAY delivery. It took DDM five days to just get it shipped?

Jerry
my buddy had the same problem with his kits. DDM has a disclaimer on there site saying that shipping might be slower during some months because of high demand but i have there 55W kit on my car, you wont be disappointed.
Old 04-13-10, 02:14 PM
nocar
Driver School Candidate

i installed teh 55w ddm tuning hid kit on my gf's car, and she is happy with it now she can see clearly at night, only thing i need to do is align the lights a bit lower,

ive been to ddm's store in HB, its actually packed there lots of people going in n out and tehy only have a few poeple working there..

as for the corner light removed the fender lliner and grab it from the bottom it took me about 10 mins to do this, its gonna be dirty though lol
Old 04-13-10, 07:18 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Cool

Well...I installed the HID fog light kits. You can actually do it from above. Easy on the passenger side. Just take the bolt out of the washer fluid thingie.

For the drivers side you will have to remove the battery. Although I did remove the wheel wells as I had to change the running lights and I wanted to hide the HID ballests and related wiring out of sight. The running lights bulbs are 168LX. But you still end up with yellow running lights as the lens are yellow (with age?).

The fog kits are 6000K and appear to be too blue, to me. I think that I Will have to replace the HID bulbs with 4000 or 5000K for a whiter color. The head lights are PIAA bright white halogens and really contrast with the Blueish fogs.

Them suckers sure are really bright after they warm up. And they're only 35 watts.

Jerry
Old 04-17-10, 08:41 AM
bergi85
10th Gear

Jerry,

I am just ordered HID fogs too, how do you like them? Are they good? I also ordered them from DDM. And I have a 55W HID kit coming for my low beams, im going to retrofit projectors in them too. Just wondering how they look.

Mitch
Old 04-17-10, 10:05 PM
Aprazur
Rookie

Thumbs up

The cops will bust you around these parts if your lights are too blue and look like you've changed to non factory HID's. I like them a lot...other than the blue (6000k) color. You have to let them warm up. They're dim when they are first turned on. Let them warm up, takes about 2 to five min to get max brightness. Then them suckers are BRIGHT. And they just 35w.

I'm going to order some 4000k (whiter) bulbs for them, And I think a HID kit of 55w 4000k lower beams. Although I just bought new halogen PIAA bright whites (4000k) for the low beams.

I'm not sure if I will order from DDM again. Slow service in mailing and the fit was less them perfect. But, they seem to be the cheapest, although the shipping charge is high.

Jerry
Old 08-29-20, 06:39 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jagalchi88
Hello!
My driver side light bulb (indicated by the arrow) has died... i was wondering if anybody knows how to change it. Also, I would like to get a white color bulb, rather than a boring yellow ones... If you have have comments or advice, please post. Thank you!!
What exactly is that small round light? Apparently they are out on my 2001 ?

thx

bob
Old 08-29-20, 08:20 PM
SVRX300
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steelgtr
What exactly is that small round light? Apparently they are out on my 2001 ?

thx

bob
I checked with my 2000 owners manual. It is called Parking light.