RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What's with all my problems? (get ready for some readin')

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 05:34 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What's with all my problems? (get ready for some readin')

First my headlight lens fogs up, now my CD changer freezes up on me.

So, I'm on my way down the road just out of my driveway and I am on CD 4 - Song 12 - 16 seconds and the music just stops:eek: I try changing the track, disk, nothing worked. I pushed the button to turn off the radio...hesitates, then turns off. The radio still works, but the system will not go into CD mode. I take out the changer (all this is happening at the stop sign at the end of my home's street while the RX is running) and check the disks, take them all out and back in the cartridge and put back into the changer. It cycles through the disks but still doesn't work.

I'm pissed at this point I keep pressing the CD button is dispair So, I just ride the rest of the way in silence...well...I rev the engine a little higher. I force the RX to give me SOME music

I pull up to my destination and figure, if anything now, I will turn off the ignition then back on and the changer will work. So I do. The CD player plays, but only seeks disk 5 and 6 - I have all six filled. So I take them all out of the cartridge and back in again while the vehicle is on acc. Finally, it all works and did on my way back home

What the crap happened?!?!

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow for my headlight, whining when steering right (steering wheel whines), hatch opens like a sloth, and some rattling noises. I still love the vehicle and believe them to be of the best quality...but's what's happening here. It is getting harder and harder for me to tell people how easy it is to own this vehicle.

I guarantee this wouldn't happen to someone who doesn't give a lick about their car!

Last edited by LexRX; 06-06-02 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-06-02, 07:44 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DooD,
Did you break an e-mail chain letter?

Seriously, though...I'm just thankful for
warranties and loaner cars.
Old 06-06-02, 07:59 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

HEy Lex You think The cd promblem may have somehting to do with you HID kit? Maybe something with the wiring? Just a wild guess Good Luck
Old 06-06-02, 08:46 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

DooD, Did you break an e-mail chain letter?
lol...seems like it!

The warranty will save me and the loaner car makes this very bearable. Can you say IS300? I sure do hope so.

I don't think it's the HID's because they work just like my halogens. They get power directly from the stock wiring harness. I must have pissed some cosmic force off

I'ma gonna give the dealer a ring tomorrow.
Old 06-06-02, 09:45 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default One word..

HUMIDITY
Old 06-06-02, 10:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

I had the CD not working problem once in my wife's GS. Ignition key power cycle fixed it and has not happened since then. If it repeats again and again I would worry, but have the dealer log the complaint. { I would not insist on any work to be done just yet ... I have more confidence in the assmebler than the dealer}.

Steering noise when turning is most probably the power assist pump and would be of concern if it is high or non-hydraulic (valve letting out excess pressure).

How hot is the lense with the HID bulb? If it becomes hotter than normal, the seal could have busted and hence the leak. An old trick about light bulbs is to raise the temprature of the housing before twisting in the bulb (hair dryer or just turning the bulb on to heat it up), this produces low pressure inside the housing when things cool down. {did you hear a woosh sound of air running in when you untwisted the OEM bulb?}

Salim
Old 06-06-02, 10:09 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: One word..

Originally posted by wwest
HUMIDITY
No ***** wwest I mean really...like I didn't know that!!!

Yeah, I know, I'm being rude.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

salimshah, I didn't notice any trapped air pressure when I removed the halogen bulb. As for the HID's, the acutually run at a lower temperature than halogens. Halogens NEED heat to produce light, the light is just a byproduct of the resistance of the electricity passing through the filament.

I'm using less wattage and have lower heat now (35watts vs. 55)

Last edited by LexRX; 06-06-02 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-06-02, 11:57 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear that Nick... but i had that cd prob you encountered also

it was during the FIRST WEEK i got my rx3 also man!!!

i started to freak.. my cds were jacked and i was on the freeway so i coudln't try to turn off car and turn back on... so i had to listen to radio all the way back... wasn't that bad but i wanted my cds

but then it worked after you power off and on... just like a computer HAHHAHA, reboot the car
Old 06-07-02, 04:59 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by spinteews

but then it worked after you power off and on... just like a computer HAHHAHA, reboot the car
Yeah, I think it needed a reboot. What, is Lexus using Microsoft software!?!
Old 06-07-02, 09:52 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Try another word wwest...

HUMILITY
Old 06-07-02, 10:25 AM
shmelvin
Driver School Candidate

Default typical

you are just going through the usual stuff. Let's face it this is the best car/wagon/suv in its class, but its a **** poor excuse for a Lexus.
Old 06-07-02, 10:47 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Okay, I have an appointment for Tuesday morning to get some stuff checked out and fixed. We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-07-02, 03:26 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

it will be fine
Old 06-10-02, 09:31 AM
Handogen
Driver

I just wanted to say I had a problem with humidity in the right front headlight when I lived in Oregon. I moved out to the Denver area in March and haven't had the problem since...

When I took it to the Lexus Dealer in Oregon, he said they had never seen anything like it and couldn't explain what the problem was.

I'm thinking of buying new ones anyways... probably one of the newer tinted sets you see on the 2001/2002 models.... I'm just waiting to find the right deal.

As for the CD Changer, knock on wood, I haven't had problems with it yet... unless you count the 80 minute CD I burned and tried to use in my RX. I have since limited my CD's to 74 minutes and use a 2 second delay between tracks... no more problems!

Hando
Old 06-10-02, 01:10 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Handogen
I just wanted to say I had a problem with humidity in the right front headlight when I lived in Oregon. I moved out to the Denver area in March and haven't had the problem since...

When I took it to the Lexus Dealer in Oregon, he said they had never seen anything like it and couldn't explain what the problem was.

As for the CD Changer, knock on wood, I haven't had problems with it yet... unless you count the 80 minute CD I burned and tried to use in my RX. I have since limited my CD's to 74 minutes and use a 2 second delay between tracks... no more problems!

Hando
The dealer didn't replace the light for you? I'm not taking no for an answer. I've lived in the same area all my life and this is the first car me or my family has owned that has done this. Our LS doesn't have this problem.

What brand CD did you use for the 80min CD? That's about all I use in 80min 700mb disks and they work fine in my changer. I use TDK and Memorex. PNY, Maxell, and others will work too. It all depends on the dye used in the CD.

Quick Reply: What's with all my problems? (get ready for some readin')