RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Upper engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10 | 10:52 AM
rbodor3
Driver School Candidate

Default Upper engine mount

Hello all - first time on the forum. I've been deemed "worthy" to take over maintenance of my mom's RX, which has been dealer maintained for the previous 156k miles of it's life.

My experience with Lexus/Toyota has been swapping a V8 1UZFE into a race-ready Miata, and just minor maintenance of friends' Camrys/corollas.

Unsurprisingly, the RX is easy and standard to work on. Drive by wire is also a plus! I often see cars over 100k miles with broke engine mounts, and the RX is no exception. It has cracked and I'm sure has resulted in increased interior vibration, and possible minor loss in responsiveness/laggy acceleration. A search has not really yielded an economical replacement.

OE replacement runs $130 at local stealership, I wanted to know what other aftermarket or polyurethane sources others are using. In lieu of anything economical, I'll fabricate a poly mount myself (what I'm doing on my 6er BMW for track season), but would prefer to preserve the luxury of her vehicle.
Old 04-06-10 | 03:15 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rbodor3
Hello all - first time on the forum. I've been deemed "worthy" to take over maintenance of my mom's RX, which has been dealer maintained for the previous 156k miles of it's life.

My experience with Lexus/Toyota has been swapping a V8 1UZFE into a race-ready Miata, and just minor maintenance of friends' Camrys/corollas.

Unsurprisingly, the RX is easy and standard to work on. Drive by wire is also a plus! I often see cars over 100k miles with broke engine mounts, and the RX is no exception. It has cracked and I'm sure has resulted in increased interior vibration, and possible minor loss in responsiveness/laggy acceleration. A search has not really yielded an economical replacement.

OE replacement runs $130 at local stealership, I wanted to know what other aftermarket or polyurethane sources others are using. In lieu of anything economical, I'll fabricate a poly mount myself (what I'm doing on my 6er BMW for track season), but would prefer to preserve the luxury of her vehicle.

Well the upper engine mount your talking about is Pic 1. Should be around $50 factory.
The one in Pic 2 is the front mount. $130 not a bad price.
Which one do you need?

Also if you do need the Front mount, it is a Vaccum adjusted mount(green arrow) This part is an actice control mount.
So going aftermarket would be a crap shoot if you want this to work.
Also polyurethane bushings will increase vibration as oppose to stock factory rubber variants.

FWIW...If the stock one lasted 156k, I think $130 is worth it to go another 156k more.
Attached Thumbnails Upper engine mount-dog-bone.jpg   Upper engine mount-frontmotor-mount.jpg  
Old 04-06-10 | 03:16 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by rbodor3

150k and still maintained by the dealership is what a typical Lexus customer would do and from that you can infer that there is a very small market for after market products. The other thing is the original has lasted you 150K so the product is not bad. ... unlike the ones used in bmw that need replacement around 60k [I recently worked on my sons 328i suspension]. Look at the price offered by some CL sponsors. It may even be worth buying the arm instead of the bushing as you may need press or pay some one to do the job for you.

Salim
Old 04-06-10 | 03:21 PM
salimshah

was that ESP ... Nad1370 and my posts are one minute apart.

Salim
Old 04-06-10 | 03:25 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

^^ That's so crazy..!!!
We need to get out more ...Hahaha.!
Old 04-07-10 | 04:26 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I just had all my motor mounts replaced a month ago. The Front one in pic 2, has two pieces, the mount itself and some rubber piece that goes on top. They have two different part #'s. Also, I changed out the "engine shock absorber", this is directly to the right of the front mount in pic 2. After that, my car feels like I just pulled out of a lexus dealership. So smooth.
Old 04-07-10 | 06:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

John, were you getting a resonance vibration before you changed those mounts? Just curious, as I have 177k miles and I get this weird very low level vibration at highway speed.
Old 04-08-10 | 08:58 AM
rbodor3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
150k and still maintained by the dealership is what a typical Lexus customer would do and from that you can infer that there is a very small market for after market products. The other thing is the original has lasted you 150K so the product is not bad. ... unlike the ones used in bmw that need replacement around 60k [I recently worked on my sons 328i suspension]. Look at the price offered by some CL sponsors. It may even be worth buying the arm instead of the bushing as you may need press or pay some one to do the job for you.

Salim

True to all that say it lasted 150k, but my opinion on these sort of things is if it needs replacement then upgrade. I.E~ I'd rather pay $60 for an air filter that lasts a lifetime that I have to clean every service interval, than pay $5 to buy a new one every time.

And as can be expected at any competent machine shop, I have access to hydraulic press
and delrin..... just kidding I wouldn't put my dear old mommy through that!
Old 04-08-10 | 11:47 AM
awdonald
Driver School Candidate

Autohaus Arizona has a "mechanical" one at $108 and the other mount at $50...have a look around...Sewell etc....on the other hand if you are determined to improve on the design go for it...
Old 04-11-10 | 02:39 PM
rbodor3
Driver School Candidate

For future thread searches, it was the dogbone engine mount (pictured) and I also show a macro of the damage. It's one of the first things I look at when somebody asks me to take a look at their car, because they're almost always shot. Gives you a good idea of how well they're paying attention and/or maintaining the vehicle

Old 04-11-10 | 05:25 PM
bearbrew
Driver

Default Engine mount

Is there a P/N for the dog bone and the lower mount? with a P/N we can shop around for price.

Thank you,

bearbrew
Old 04-11-10 | 06:16 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bearbrew
Is there a P/N for the dog bone and the lower mount? with a P/N we can shop around for price.

Thank you,

bearbrew
Torque rod mount (dog bone)----Part # 12363-20040
Front Motor mount--------------Part # 12361-20060