RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice needed for Pricing and timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-02, 04:44 PM
tarheelrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for Pricing and timing

Hello All-
My wife and I have decided to purchase an RX300, but we are not in any rush. What is typically the best time to buy, and how much above invoice should we expect to pay? thanks for the help!
Old 06-08-02, 05:13 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy it the last week of the month...

Scope the lot and take notes on the cars
and their packages and options.

Then go home and surf out to Edmunds and find the TMV price of the vehicle you want. Their prices are pretty close to what you'll pay.

I used Consumer Reports New Car Buying Guide. Saved me a ton.

Oh, and don't take any crap.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 06-08-02 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-08-02, 08:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Also try autobytel.com. It's an easy service to use and worth a try. I used it for the first time yesterday pricing a new Sequoia. Only one dealer in my area participated in autobytel.com's service. They quoted me a price that was $4600 below MSRP.

Towards the end of the model year is the best time to find a deal. For Lexus, this is usually around the Fall of the year. Beginning around august. I bought my RX on August 18th 2000 and was quoted a price of $4000+ off MSRP with no problem. Incidentally, it's the one I'm driving now A little shopping around is a must.

Like Paddy Wagon said, don't take any crap. Take notes, and be educated on exactly what you want and can get. Take your time and get exactly what you want.
Old 06-08-02, 08:55 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, man...My Lexus dealer tried everything. Here's some highlights:

"We actually have people who come in and don't even bother to look at the sticker."

While haggling, he points to my Consumer Reports information;
"That's your problem, right there...We just don't discount like other car dealers."

"These cars are so popular, I can't guarantee we'll have one next week." (There were 19 on the lot).

Now, I know some of this is typical of car dealers, but at Lexus they seem to feel they're a cut above other dealers.

Lexus service is a cut above, yes!
Lexus sales? C'mon, get real.
Old 06-08-02, 09:04 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon

"These cars are so popular, I can't guarantee we'll have one next week." (There were 19 on the lot).
That one made me LOL
Old 06-09-02, 08:13 AM
tarheelrx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the advice -- the Fall is good timing for us, and luckily, there are 3 dealerships here within a hour of where we live. Will keep everyone posted!
Old 06-09-02, 11:02 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

You should be able to buy a new RX (or ES) for about $500 over invoice especially with dealers that have high inventory. If you are not in a real hurry, you may want to wait till the new RX330 comes out which has a little more power than the current and more storage behind the rear seat (similar to the Highlander). Of course the downside with any new models especially if it is popular is the lack of discount or unwillingness to discount.

There is also a "hidden" factory rebate for previous or current Lexus owners if you borrow money from Lexus Financial. The rebates run from $500 to $1500 depending on the model. If you have never owned a Lexus before, it's doubtful you can get it but won't hurt to try. Good luck!