RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 06:44 PM
armywife
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issue

I am new here and we have only had our 2002 RX300 since September but it has 154,000 miles on it. We've never had any problems at all with it until now. We drove it earlier today with no problems at all, but I just got in it to run to the store and it was fine at first but I got about 3 minutes down the road and it was shifting really low like at 1000 rpms. So I pulled into a neighborhood and turned it off and then turned it back on and all the sudden it wouldn't let me put it into drive, like I could put the gear shift into drive but it wouldn't light up on the dash or even go anywhere. So I put it into 2nd and nothing and then low and nothing. So I turned it off again and then back on and it would drive into 2nd and low but revved really really high then all the sudden nothing. So I pulled over again and turned it back off, called someone to come get me but then tried again and it went into 2nd and I was able to drive home. I had a hard time pulling into our driveway even though it's not steep at all. Does this sound like the dreaded tranmission failure? I read that someone else had similiar problems and did a fluid change and changed the filter so I'm going to have my husband do that this weekend in hopes that it will work. What do yal think it sounds like to you though? Also, could someone tell me what we need to do to do the fluids and filter change.
Old 04-16-10, 06:54 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

good luck and i hope not , sounds like a clogged tranny filter blocking the fluid and reducing pressure causing it to strain alot cheaper than a new tranny hope thats it let us know the outcome
Old 04-16-10, 07:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,071 Likes on 964 Posts

Start by checking the transmission fluid level and condition.

At this time I would suggest postpone other fluid change [just make sure the levels are good]. Once the transmission issue is resolved then get into replacement of other fluids.

Salim
Old 04-16-10, 07:07 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by armywife
I read that someone else had similiar problems and did a fluid change and changed the filter so I'm going to have my husband do that this weekend in hopes that it will work. What do yal think it sounds like to you though? Also, could someone tell me what we need to do to do the fluids and filter change.
Yikes..!!
Hopefully a fluid change is all it needs but I fear the worst has happened.
Check fluid levels first or leaks present.

Here a DIY sticky thread that will help you change the Trans fluid:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html
Old 04-16-10, 07:16 PM
armywife
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Yikes..!!
Hopefully a fluid change is all it needs but I fear the worst has happened.
Check fluid levels first or leaks present.

Here a DIY sticky thread that will help you change the Trans fluid:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

OOO no don't say that! This is the last thing we need, we are about to be moving to Hawaii in about a month so this is not good.
Old 04-16-10, 07:30 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

OOO no don't say that! This is the last thing we need, we are about to be moving to Hawaii in about a month so this is not good.
Lol..!
Don't mind me. I always think of the worst poss. so I'll be ready and no surprises.
Hawaii huh..?
Man... I need to go back there.
Old 04-16-10, 07:38 PM
armywife
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Lol..!
Don't mind me. I always think of the worst poss. so I'll be ready and no surprises.
Hawaii huh..?
Man... I need to go back there.
HAHA ok thanks. Well I just talked to my dad who has been working with cars since he was 13 and he says it sounds like it's not getting transmission fluid. AHH I hope that's what it is, we just had the clutch go out on my husbands jeep the day after we bought it but it was under warranty so it was covered, but this wont be.

Yea, Hawaii. He's in the military, he's a helicopter pilot.
Old 04-17-10, 12:13 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

HAHA ok thanks. Well I just talked to my dad who has been working with cars since he was 13 and he says it sounds like it's not getting transmission fluid. AHH I hope that's what it is, we just had the clutch go out on my husbands jeep the day after we bought it but it was under warranty so it was covered, but this wont be.

Yea, Hawaii. He's in the military, he's a helicopter pilot.
Al? Helicopter pilot? Our son is an Apache pilot currently stationed at Rucker. Works in Safety currently but sounds like he will be on his way to "who-knows-where" before long. Good Luck!
Old 04-17-10, 06:08 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

It sounds like the filter may be clogged.
Old 04-17-10, 08:44 AM
armywife
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
It sounds like the filter may be clogged.
I am hoping that's what it is. We bought a new filter and new transmission fluid so he will be checking it all out within an hour probably. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-17-10, 09:09 AM
salimshah

Condition of the fluid is the first thing to check. If there are no suspended debris, it is unlikely the filter is clogged. Did we talk about the level?

There are couple of solenoids that can be swapped ... search the net.

If you have the wire-mesh filter and you suspect particles in the fluid, I would wash and reuse the filter and drain and fill a few times. Then drop pan and replace the filter. Also i would re-use the gasket [so what if it leaks a bit], if you plan to drop the pan again in few days. Only on the last drop, I would use the new pan-gasket.

Just think ahead and save some money on parts. The cost can add up to 3 figures .... still lot less than 4 figures for replacement or transmission.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-17-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 01:34 PM
armywife
Driver School Candidate

Well he dropped the pan and replaced the filter and the fluid. He got it down from the lift, put it in reverse and what do you know....it runs!
Old 04-17-10, 03:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd suggest doing one or two more drain and fills. To get all of the old fluid out and if there is any other "sludge".
Old 04-17-10, 08:43 PM
varithms
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you two for your service to the USA.
Old 04-17-10, 11:23 PM
salimshah

Well he dropped the pan and replaced the filter and the fluid. He got it down from the lift, put it in reverse and what do you know....it runs!
That is a good start. I hope it stays good.

Salim

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue