RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 06:46 PM
aggreen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issue?

My girlfriend owns a 2001 RX300. She just recently had her check engine light come on (along with the VSC light) and produced the code P0770, which is a solenoid "e" malfunction. Probable causes are shift solenoid stuck open, blocked oil passage or lock-up clutch failure. Immediately after it came on, her transmission is having issues. Shifting from D into R, there is a long delay in engagement. Also there is now a whining noise occurring as well (i know, the greatest description).

We are definitely bringing it in to determine the issue, but wanted to post something first to see what might be the cause - based on the description I described. Appreciate any assistance...thanks.

MikeD
Old 04-18-10, 07:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

We have some failures over the years I've been on this forum with one of the solenoids. These are located in the transmission near the bottom, but above the valve body. They involve opening up the transmission pan removing the filter and valve body and replacing the solenoid.

I haven't had to do this myself but I could if my hand were forced. I know we've had a few people in this forum deal with this and I'll allow them to chime in. My personal advice is if your not really mechanically inclined that a transmission shop (the dealer will charge you mucho dinero) to open it up and replace the solenoid. I think the last time I looked up these solenoids they were like $100 and change, but I'm not sure. You could get them via the dealer, but I'd definitely have someone else put it in.
Old 04-18-10, 09:31 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

P0770: This code appears when the ECM compares the engagement condition of the lock−up clutch with the lock−up schedule in the
ECM memory to detect mechanical trouble of the shift solenoid valve SL, valve body and torque converter
clutch.

Meaning lock−up does not occur when driving in the lock−up range
(around 50mph cruising speed), or lock−up remains ON
in the lock−up OFF range.

Usually means the shift solenoid "E" is not functioning.

If only the valve is the problem, Just take the pan down and it's right out in the open. Held down with just 1 bolt.
No need to take the valve body down. Whew..
Only issue you would run into is that there are 5 solenoids in there. So make sure your replacing the right one.

The other issues you have might not pertain to the valve problem. So that's good your having it looked at.
Old 04-18-10, 07:51 PM
aggreen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your replies...this is very helpful. I wanted to get an idea of some possibilities before taking it in. I will update the diagnosis.
Old 04-18-10, 09:17 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

well since you will have to drop the tranny pan to get to these solenoids, the first thing to do is check for metal debris....If excessive you have probably toasted the tranny. Do not do a flush, it will not help. What happens is the debris goes into the valve body assembly and the solenoids causing them to not function. Tolerances are tight and just a sliver of metal will hang up pistons in the valve body. Mine had same code and the planetary gears had let loose. I cant remember anyone having sucess with the solenoids, but Maybe you will be lucky.... Good luck
Old 06-07-10, 10:49 AM
Z1968
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue with my '01 RX300. It has 130k miles on it. Same symptoms as the thread starter mentioned. Beyond that, the clutch starts slipping while on the highway. I pull over and turn off the car and then everytyhing works fine again for 1-2 mins before it fails again. I did this repeatedly to get to my mechanic's.

My mechanic pulled the code P0770 and his diagnostic instructions mention replacing shift control solenoid valve SLT, however the dealer doesn't know which of the 5 solenoids that is.

How can I determine which of the solenoids is to blame? Or do all 5 have to be removed and tested (electrically and for air leaks)?

Originally Posted by Nad1370
P0770: This code appears when the ECM compares the engagement condition of the lock−up clutch with the lock−up schedule in the
ECM memory to detect mechanical trouble of the shift solenoid valve SL, valve body and torque converter
clutch.

Meaning lock−up does not occur when driving in the lock−up range
(around 50mph cruising speed), or lock−up remains ON
in the lock−up OFF range.

Usually means the shift solenoid "E" is not functioning.

If only the valve is the problem, Just take the pan down and it's right out in the open. Held down with just 1 bolt.
No need to take the valve body down. Whew..
Only issue you would run into is that there are 5 solenoids in there. So make sure your replacing the right one.

The other issues you have might not pertain to the valve problem. So that's good your having it looked at.
Old 06-07-10, 03:27 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1968
I'm having the same issue with my '01 RX300. It has 130k miles on it. Same symptoms as the thread starter mentioned. Beyond that, the clutch starts slipping while on the highway. I pull over and turn off the car and then everytyhing works fine again for 1-2 mins before it fails again. I did this repeatedly to get to my mechanic's.

My mechanic pulled the code P0770 and his diagnostic instructions mention replacing shift control solenoid valve SLT, however the dealer doesn't know which of the 5 solenoids that is.

How can I determine which of the solenoids is to blame? Or do all 5 have to be removed and tested (electrically and for air leaks)?
Here is a pic of the trans pan of my RX.
I labeled a general area of location of the Shift Solenoids. (took me a while to get this info)
P0770 is not an automatic SSValve failure. You still have a possibility of a dirty valve body or a lock-up clutch going bad.
But the valve is the cheapest option to try.
Of course you still have to check its operation via air checks.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Issue?-trans-pan-copy.jpg  
Old 06-08-10, 08:46 AM
Z1968
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info - I gave this to my mechanic. So far, he has tested all 5 electrically and is about to test the air pressure. To do this he has to remove the valve body anyway, so he'll see if it's dirty to rule that out.

I really hope my lock-up clutch is not failing. My mechanic did find metal shavings in the oil pan, but my hope is that occured only because of the solenoid issue that allowed the clutch to disengage while driving and that it's not a sign I have to replace or rebuild the tranny.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not too optimistic that this is going to end well for my wallet.
Old 06-18-10, 01:49 PM
guugoo
Driver School Candidate

any updates on what the issue was and what you did to fix it?
Old 06-23-10, 12:57 PM
gggggarcia
Driver School Candidate

Angry Need help with 2000 RX 3000 Transmission

Our 2000 RX 300 transmission appears to be toast.
Took it to Lexus dealer and they said we needed a new one at a quote of $6,500.
We can move the shifter but the transmission does not activate allowing the vehicle to move forward or backward.
Another mechanic/transmission shop looked at it and quoted $4300. Another quoted $5600.
All said we needed a new transmission and transfer case. Some suggest a new torque converter as well.
If that be the case, where would you suggest we have this transmission rebuilt here in Denver?
I'm guessing that once they get inside and see the Planitaries (sp?) we'll probably be looking at even more $$$.

Help!!!
Old 06-23-10, 01:01 PM
gggggarcia
Driver School Candidate

Need help with 2000 RX 3000 Transmission