RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

PCV oil into intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10 | 08:54 PM
varithms
Rookie

Default PCV oil into intake

I ran across a guy that put a air dryer (like on an air compressor) between the intake and the PCV valve. He gets about two table spoons between oil changes. He did this because he didn't like the amount of residue inside the intake. I might give it a shot on the Lexus.

Take a peek:
http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/oil_catch_can
Old 04-18-10 | 07:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The oil catch can...it's a common practice. There's a whole bunch of members at Solaraguy who do this on their 1MZFE powered Solaras.

What I have right now (and some of you are going to scoff, but hear me out) is the PCV valve is hollow and just vents to the air (no hose or return line to the intake manifold). Same thing goes for the hose that links from the top of the front engine bank to the air intake tube, just a hose to air. Now, one might think that the oil will drip everywhere and create a mess, but for well over 1.5 years since I started this system...not an issue. Result is that oil residue is not shoved back into the engine combustion cycle thus providing a cleaner burn out the back end...better MPG and power. I guarantee you that my HC (hydrocarbon count) is a lot lower as result.
Old 04-18-10 | 08:55 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The oil catch can...it's a common practice. There's a whole bunch of members at Solaraguy who do this on their 1MZFE powered Solaras.

What I have right now (and some of you are going to scoff, but hear me out) is the PCV valve is hollow and just vents to the air (no hose or return line to the intake manifold). Same thing goes for the hose that links from the top of the front engine bank to the air intake tube, just a hose to air. Now, one might think that the oil will drip everywhere and create a mess, but for well over 1.5 years since I started this system...not an issue. Result is that oil residue is not shoved back into the engine combustion cycle thus providing a cleaner burn out the back end...better MPG and power. I guarantee you that my HC (hydrocarbon count) is a lot lower as result.
Better MPG, on average how much better do you get, I'm thinking about doing this now!
Old 04-18-10 | 12:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
Better MPG, on average how much better do you get, I'm thinking about doing this now!
Gets in 19s with city driving.

This won't throw a code, but you have to cap off the places where the hose connections are on the manifold (see where those rubber stoppers are), see http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/6 (see at the bottom). I deleted those little air filters in the picture and the PCV valve is hollowed out.
Old 04-19-10 | 07:37 PM
varithms
Rookie

The only thing I worry about that is the pcv makes a small amount of vacume in the engine, that helps keep the oil leaks to a min. If he has done it that long I think it prob ok.

If the hoses off the pcv run up hill it helps prevent drips. On my truck (18 wheeler)it is a 1/2" hose that runs down to the ground. I think it just keeps the engine from pressurizing and blowing out seals

Last edited by varithms; 04-19-10 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-20-10 | 06:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by varithms
The only thing I worry about that is the pcv makes a small amount of vacume in the engine, that helps keep the oil leaks to a min. If he has done it that long I think it prob ok.

If the hoses off the pcv run up hill it helps prevent drips. On my truck (18 wheeler)it is a 1/2" hose that runs down to the ground. I think it just keeps the engine from pressurizing and blowing out seals
I did do that one time with the hose running to the ground, but had some issues with such a long hose (on the RX300).

Perhaps I can show some more photos later of the setup to get an idea.
Old 04-30-13 | 08:03 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I did do that one time with the hose running to the ground, but had some issues with such a long hose (on the RX300).

Perhaps I can show some more photos later of the setup to get an idea.

Hi Ron, Do you have any new set up for the pcv?
Old 05-01-13 | 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
Hi Ron, Do you have any new set up for the pcv?
The thing I have been playing around with for sometime is bored out PCV (plastic since it is a 1999) with no hose attached (that's the passenger side) and just leaving the hose on the driver's side off of the connection to the air intake (and I capped off the air intake with a rubber piece). I haven't had an issue with this at all for...well since god knows when, it's definitely been since a few months after my previous post above. Have not seen any issue with my oil consumption either (no crap in the oil when I drain it). That hose that hangs down off the top of the crankcase shoots out some vapor but have not had any real oil residue or anything accumulating on top of the tranny.

Generally, this shouldn't be done as to get that crud/vapor out of the engine, you need the engine process to suck out the stuff via the attached hoses. Vehicle does run much smoother, no power or mpg loss.
Old 05-01-13 | 09:40 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Ron.
Old 05-04-13 | 07:31 AM
dbui
Driver

I am looking to replace the My PVC rx300 2001 but I am unable to locate on the engine please help!

thanks
Old 05-04-13 | 08:57 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dbui
I am looking to replace the My PVC rx300 2001 but I am unable to locate on the engine please help!

thanks
It's on the back valve cover on the passengers side. Probably a screw in like this:

If not, then a plastic push in like this:

Last edited by carguy07; 05-04-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-04-13 | 09:42 AM
dbui
Driver

Thank you!

Last edited by dbui; 07-08-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-08-13 | 02:42 PM
dbui
Driver

How do you replace it?
It's not plastic so I guess you have to unscrew it with the wrench or something? sorry kind of dump question but I just don't want to mess it up!
I called the dealer and gave them my vin# they said it metal not plastic.

What is the best way to replace it? Thanks.
Old 07-08-13 | 04:38 PM
salimshah

See post 11.

In either case twist the hose (going to the intake side) to break the seal and pull it off.

The picture on the top (pcv by itself) has threads and you use a wrench to undo it.Depending on the model (your vin number), lexus switched to a different valve cover and a different pcv.

The lower picture shows insitu pcv and it is plastic. Follow the white arrow. You remove this one with a twist and pull action.The rubber grommet should be replaced if it has become hard. You have to be careful as the rubber grommet breaks and tends to fall inside, but there is a ledge and most of the times the grommet can be pulled out.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-08-13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-08-13 | 05:21 PM
dbui
Driver

Got it, Thank you Salim.

Quick Reply: PCV oil into intake