RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Driver Side seatbelt making noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 08:44 PM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Side seatbelt making noise!!

The driver side seatbelt in my 2001 rx300 is making weird grinding noise. It happens time to time (usually when I go over a hill?). it's been driving me crazy and I dont know what is the problem. Does anybody have this problem before?
Old 04-28-10, 09:09 AM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Since no one replied, may be the problem is in the post.

Please explain your problem a little more.

I for one can not make the connection between seat belt and bumps. Does you belt move (retracts or gives more slack) or are we talking about the passenger side seat belt buckle that rattles with the pillar when the belt is not engaged. Or just some rattle in near the bottom of the pillar (where the belt retractor is) going over bumps. [there is a thin slot where the belt enters the pillar trim and if a child deposited a coin or two, it would rattle. <= just one of the many possibilities]

Salim
Old 04-28-10, 07:57 PM
jagalchi88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
Since no one replied, may be the problem is in the post.

Please explain your problem a little more.

I for one can not make the connection between seat belt and bumps. Does you belt move (retracts or gives more slack) or are we talking about the passenger side seat belt buckle that rattles with the pillar when the belt is not engaged. Or just some rattle in near the bottom of the pillar (where the belt retractor is) going over bumps. [there is a thin slot where the belt enters the pillar trim and if a child deposited a coin or two, it would rattle. <= just one of the many possibilities]

Salim
Sorry if I did not explain well. What I was trying to explain is that my seatbelt (probably the retractor part that you are talking about) makes a buzzing sound/grinding noise. The noise comes from the bottom of the pillar I think. It happens when I go over a small hill or something. But the noise only happens randomly. and I dont think a coin went in there because I'm still a college student and I dont have a child yet. Does this mean I have a to replace the retractor?
Old 04-28-10, 10:40 PM
salimshah

Received 1,069 Likes on 962 Posts

Well I guess you need to open it up and see. Unfortunately I dont have instructions how to remove the garnish. If there is a problem with the retractor, you would most probably see it in the belt.

Salim
Old 04-28-10, 10:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

is it more like a squeaking? this has happened to me before on my IS, and the dealer was able to fix it, but it definately comes from the receiver