RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Couple ?'s to see what is wrong with mine

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 01:54 AM
Tmntman4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Couple ?'s to see what is wrong with mine

So im running into a couple problems with my car:
1. My AC just blows straight Cold even when its on the hottest setting.
2. My drivers side window seems to be acting up. when i roll the window down itll go down good, but when i try to roll it back up, the window will sometimes not work, or it will start to go up and then go back down, but then sometimes it will work perfect. (not a good thing especially when it starts raining)
3. When i hit the lock button for my doors, my drivers side will work perfectly, but the passenger door and the one behind the passenger seat need help to lock all of the way, sometimes they will not engage all the way.

Those are the problems that im seeing right now, and i really dont want to take it to a dealer cuase they will tell me things that are not wrong with the car and try and charge me an arm and a leg. if you guys have any idea as to what i can do or what website i can go to for a VERY DETAILED explaination as to what is going on in my car that would be greatly appreciated, or if you guys have ran into it yourselfs please lend me an opinion!
Old 05-19-10, 06:40 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Yes, all fairly common problems on the older RX series. And, unfortunately, all fairly expensive to fix at the dealership. Most likely causes are:

1. heater/coolant diverter valve
2. window regulator
3. door lock actuators

You may want to search the RX300 posts on this forum for DIY fixes - I believe all have been written up in some detail.
Old 05-19-10, 06:54 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmntman4
So im running into a couple problems with my car:
1. My AC just blows straight Cold even when its on the hottest setting.
2. My drivers side window seems to be acting up. when i roll the window down itll go down good, but when i try to roll it back up, the window will sometimes not work, or it will start to go up and then go back down, but then sometimes it will work perfect. (not a good thing especially when it starts raining)
3. When i hit the lock button for my doors, my drivers side will work perfectly, but the passenger door and the one behind the passenger seat need help to lock all of the way, sometimes they will not engage all the way.

Those are the problems that im seeing right now, and i really dont want to take it to a dealer cuase they will tell me things that are not wrong with the car and try and charge me an arm and a leg. if you guys have any idea as to what i can do or what website i can go to for a VERY DETAILED explaination as to what is going on in my car that would be greatly appreciated, or if you guys have ran into it yourselfs please lend me an opinion!

How can any one charge an arm and a leg for something that they claim is right to begin with.

Lexus parts and labor rates to repair are going to be among the highest due to Luxury brand (A tad below euro Lux but almost there). I think people know this when they made the purchase decision.

1. Can you cut the cooling off [switch away from cool by changing the mode .. the green light should turn off]. Does it still blow cold air? If not then you have a problem with heating. Let us know and we can help you diagnose further. Also if you are not a DIY, to fix it, you will still need to go to a A?C mechanic or your dreaded dealer.

2. Try reprogramming the pinch protection. Instead of flick the switch up/down, hold the button and let the thing fully close and open. If that does not work, some one needs to look at the reason for binding. Lexmex posted a procedure to open up the door and lubing the motor assembly. The glass travel channels could also be the reason if they are deformed.

3. Search "door lock actuator" and you will find plenty of information.

Your best buddy is the search button. Use the advance option to refine the search.

Salim
Old 05-19-10, 03:56 PM
Tmntman4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses, i guess ill have to do a lil research for the parts and a lil more.
Old 05-19-10, 09:55 PM
ivan1
Driver

i had the AC problem, my air/mix servo was busted, was stuck on cold, cost me about 100$ to fix.