RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

**FIRST POST** :) Front Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 02:23 PM
JVLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
Go back to post #7. It's either one of the sensors or the toothed ring on an axle.
At this point I agree 100%.

So at lunch I took the RX back to the dealership and took the tech's for a ride. We of course found the problem within 200yards of the front door and I had to listen to them make excuses for 10min. Anyway, I am going to take the veh back on Wed. for them to officially tell me what is wrong. I figured that I paid 100 bucks to have a diagnostic done, so I should get my money's worth. I was very clear with the service writer that I might not decide to get the car repaired at the dealership or even at all. It really depends on the price of the problem. We just had our 2nd and 3rd child so I need a mini-van in a big way. Not going to drop 1k on this car at this point. So anyway, I will keep everyone posted and I sincerely appreciate the information...
Old 06-28-10, 09:06 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you found the problem. Here's my thoughts:
  • Now that you've disabled the ABS system just drive w/o it for a while. You don't have to fix this immediately. Several of us drive our RX300 with ABS disabled. Although driving with disabled ABS is not a long term solution, it's ok for now IMHO. You may be able to find the broken tone ring yourself (w/help of your friend) or take it to dealer or take it to a shop and ask them to find which axle has problem (probably less than dealer.)
  • Dealer charges the most but you can buy new aftermarket axles for <$100. They're mostly made in China and some people have had good luck with them whereas others find the new axles poorly machined, out of round and have shimmy problems with them. Shop around for an axle; this repair doesn't have to be expensive.

I too was in a panic to find a solution and felt pressured to get this fixed by dealer. Looking back, I'm glad I took my time to look around and see what I was dealing with.

I hope to be able fix my reluctor ring July 4th weekend and have DIY written sometime shortly after that assuming all goes well.

Anyway, you've disabled the ABS for now and the problem has gone away. Let us know how Weds goes if you take it in.
Old 07-08-10, 08:01 AM
JVLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the Dealership has been unable to fix this problem thus far but have determined the problem is coming from the rear of the vehicle. They came to me yesterday and asked for me to authorize additional labor hrs to keep looking for the problem. I gave them another hr. at an additional $100. To be honest I am really not happy at this point. I hate spending money to find out what is wrong and then you have the big repair bill. The dealership is going to want $1,500 if it is the rear axel that has the problem with the tone ring. Has anyone out there sucessfully fixed this problem without the aid of a dealership? What did you spend?

I am not trying to be cheep but I have a 4year old and just had twins so money is tight. Thanks
Old 07-09-10, 12:01 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need someone better at finding problems than those mechanics seem to be (especially at $100. an hr.) I would probably be more upset than you are, but then I work on my own and family and friends cars, so I don't have to worry about it. Good Luck!

P.S. We have some really good independent Lexus shops around here. Don't you have any in Tn.?