RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door Ding

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-02, 09:24 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Door Ding

I picked up my Lexus 2002 Coach about 3 weeks ago. It is Pearl White.

I was devastated the other day when I noticed a small ding in the door. it is probably a little smaller that a dime and located right below the top crease on the driver side back door. It is very close to the front door though.

I have used the paintless dent repair guys in the past with success, and I am going to make an appointment to get this looked at very soon.

The thing I am worried about is where the ding is located. Like I said it is very close to the front door. To access it, all you have to do is open the front door, no need to remove the door panel. But that part of the door is thicker and the ding is not felt from the inside. Think a paintless guy could still do it?

What other options would I have?

While I always look for the best spot in parking lots, I was getting a little too comfortable around other cars, and this is what happened. From now on I will be parking away from everybody!!
Old 06-29-02, 01:56 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

i just had three dings taken out by the paintless dent removal guys not too log ago......worked like a charm. one on the hood and the other two on the doors. those guys work wonders.........not sure if they can do it on the thick metal part you are talking about. i'm sure they'll let you know when you take it to them........if not it's going to have to be the old fashioned way. body shop with bondo/body filler and then painted.

hope the paintless process works out for you.
Old 06-29-02, 02:30 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can do it. They will use a glue to adhere your door to a scew that they torque up to pull out the dent. Then they have a solvent to detach and clean the glued area. They do not need to get inside the door. It is better than paying $800 for a door repaint like it over here. Should be $50 for the PDR.
Old 06-29-02, 05:13 PM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the hope

I will be making an appt. as soon as possible to get it looked at. I have to bring it to the dealer this week for it's 30 day checkup, so I am going to let them look at it as well.

I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe even some before and after photos.

Most people I point it out to, say they would not have noticed it, if I had not brought attention to it. But it drives me crazy!
Old 06-30-02, 08:53 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good paintless dent repair place in the Bay Area?
Old 07-08-02, 12:50 PM
Thunk
Driver School Candidate

I've heard good things about Dentpro in the bay area. Luckly, I haven't had a need to go to them yet. They might be a national chain.

David
Old 07-08-02, 01:48 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

how about scratches? I still have about a 6 inch key on the side of my fender... any good places? i was thinking of just brining it back to my dealer and see what they can do.
Old 07-08-02, 07:30 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by spinteews
how about scratches? I still have about a 6 inch key on the side of my fender... any good places? i was thinking of just brining it back to my dealer and see what they can do.
That depends on how deep it is. Remember that factories usually put alot more paint on the front bumper. A lot of rock chips can be color sanded off once and maybe twice before a refresh. If you have a scratch that goes all the way through the paint there might not be much hope. It would take alot of labor to touch up and then sand and polish down smooth just to still see a little remnant.
Old 07-10-02, 04:42 PM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Default Done

Well, I just returned from my Dealer, where they did my 30 day checkup. I had them do the Paintless Dent Removal, and it came out very nice. I've been looking at it at all different angles, and there is no trace of the old ding.

My only complaint is they hit me up for $150!! Dealer prices, yuk!

If I ever need it again, I will track down the guy who did it for them, as he was an independent contractor and I bet I can get it done for $80 or less.
Old 07-10-02, 07:34 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Out in Cali it is usually $70/panel and includes any ding on a panel to a point of course.
Old 07-11-02, 02:43 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I know. There is no doubt in my mind that I got robbed on this one. I learned a lesson, next time I will shop around.

The important thing is that I am pleased with the results, and I'll soon get over the sting of overpaying.
Old 07-11-02, 07:26 AM
white01
Driver

Yeah, I am lucky enough to have a guy who I always use for this type of work $35 - $50 is what he usually charges me. He does nothing but exotics and he is very good at his craft. If you were in
South Florida I would be able to refer you.

Luckily I don't require his services that often. I park on the end - usually with a pillar or median on one side, and I will walk a longer distance if need be. In the parking garage where I work, this is the case. Same spot - kind of pisses you off when people realize why you park off from everybody else, and snub your pristine - "end" parking spot.
Old 07-11-02, 08:22 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by white01
kind of pisses you off when people realize why you park off from everybody else, and snub your pristine - "end" parking spot.
Yeah some lamer did this at work lately and would snag the prime spot with his mid 80s really beat up pickup truck. The car had bad paint and was dented on all sides like it mattered.