RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

So what is it.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 06:19 AM
lexitaxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So what is it.....

I'm stumped by something that will turn out to be so simple.... That is why I have turned to all of you smart people! I have a 2000 RX, obviously with a mast antenna that does not extend/retract properly like most of them out there. But my question has nothing to do with that. On the driver's side rear quarter window, what are the two "wires" that are on the glass for? They are not heating elements for defrosting the window, because the passenger side window doesn't have it, and it they are not for the radio antenna since we have the mast antenna..... so what are those "wires" for?
Old 07-13-10, 06:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I think they actually are heating elements, my passenger side rear quarter window use to also have it, but that window cracked and I had it replaced ; the one that replaced it doesn't have the heating element. But the original one on the rear drivers side does.
Old 07-13-10, 07:17 AM
georgie39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna

I believe those wires are part of the FM diversity antenna system that augments and supplements the mast antenna in receiving FM radio broadcasts.
I think a description of the function of those embedded wires and their purpose are covered in your owners manual in the "Audio Section"
Old 07-13-10, 07:25 AM
lexitaxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy both of your answers.... Since we are the second owners of our RX, the previous owners may have replaced the passenger side rear quarter panel glass and I never noticed that it wasn't replaced with Toyota/Lexus glass. So Hypervish, I like your theory. Can anyone confirm on original glass that there are no "wires" on the passenger side rear quarter glass?

Georgie39 - your theory still has legs too. Must find the owner's manual to research your theory....
Old 07-13-10, 07:27 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I believe it's the other way around, the original glass did have the wires but the one it may have been replaced with did not.
Old 07-13-10, 01:19 PM
georgie39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna

lexitaxi
I looked through my owners manual and I could not find a reference any where to the FM diversity antenna. However I am positive that's what those wires are in the small side window in the left rear of the car.
I must have read a reference to the FM diversity antenna in another Toyota / Lexus owners manual someplace and just assumed it was in the Lexus manual.
It's strange that if a Lexus shop replaced that piece of glass they didn't use the proper with the antenna wires in it.
Maybe the dealer out-sourced the replacement to an independent glass shop because I would image that the Lexus replacement glass is EXPENSIVE.
Old 07-13-10, 01:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I remember someone saying it was the antenna for the keyless remote. Not sure though.
Old 07-13-10, 02:07 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Its the AM radio antenna.
Old 07-13-10, 02:37 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by georgie39
lexitaxi
I looked through my owners manual and I could not find a reference any where to the FM diversity antenna. However I am positive that's what those wires are in the small side window in the left rear of the car.
I must have read a reference to the FM diversity antenna in another Toyota / Lexus owners manual someplace and just assumed it was in the Lexus manual.
It's strange that if a Lexus shop replaced that piece of glass they didn't use the proper with the antenna wires in it.
Maybe the dealer out-sourced the replacement to an independent glass shop because I would image that the Lexus replacement glass is EXPENSIVE.
The glass that I replaced it with was from the junkyard and I got it installed independently.