RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clicking coming from interior fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 03:27 PM
cwharper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking coming from interior fuse box

At low speeds you can hear an annoying clicking noise coming from the fuse box. I pulled out the change holder and felt around the fuse box. On the left hand side of the box, on the rear, i can feel a small metal object (almost like an old metal cigarette lighter, only smaller). The noise is coming from this thing. You can feel the vibrations from it. My first inclination is that it may be the blinker module but not sure. Anyone have ideas?
Old 07-31-10, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Are you able to take a picture of the area?
Old 07-31-10, 04:59 PM
cwharper
Driver School Candidate

To the left of the fuse box is another box that snaps to connect to the fuse box. I snapped this box off and found a relay that was snapped into this box that was making the noise. I popped it out (it was the top relay. There was nothing in the middle relay. Below that was a totally different looking relay.)and the noise stopped but so did the motor after a few seconds. I took the relay to NAPA, the guy knew exactly what it was, cost about 5 dollars and I came home and snapped it in. Motor cranked and no more noise. My wife drove the car again for a while and she said the noise started back after a while but much more subdued. I'll send a picture in a bit. Any ideas what this relay is connected to?
Old 07-31-10, 08:01 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

A clicking relay can be caused by a weak battery. Maybe check the battery and grounds.
Old 08-30-10, 04:38 PM
cwharper
Driver School Candidate

It's been about a month since I posted this and a lot has happened. I took the vehicle to a local repair center that specializes in Lexus/Toyota where it spent over three weeks. The owner/mechanic discovered that the clicking was coming from every relay on the car: dash, under hood, by gas tank, etc. He spent the last three weeks trying to track it down, spoke to many of his friends who still work at Lexus or Toyota dealerships and has given up and asked me to come get the car! I know he spent hours (I would just pop in on him) tracking down everything. In the process he replaced all the fuses and relays, replaced the computer with two refurbished computers and then a new one, and finally tried replacing the alternator. I'm sure he tried other things but to no avail. When I picked it up today (with no charge) the owner/mechanic who worked on my car was gone. One of his other mechanics told me that this was the first time a car ever beat him and that he tried everything he knew. He recommended to drive it (with the stereo loud so we can't hear the clicking) and just wait for it to break down and then he'll know where the problem is. By the way, I did tell him about how a weak battery may cause this. That's how he got to replacing the alternator. Problem is my wife drives this vehicle and I don't won't to see her break down in it. SO....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY MORE IDEAS!?!?!?
Old 08-30-10, 05:06 PM
awdonald
Driver School Candidate

I had clicking in the fuse/relay box on the driver's side in the engine compartment...and 2 batteries later (warranty) all is well.

I concluded with a low amp and/or charge the clicking started...it would continue or start after the engine was shut off.

Although both batteries tested out fine...the 2nd one has been in several months now and no problems.

YMMV

Cheers,
Alan
Old 08-30-10, 07:19 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

I would throw it on a battery charger and see if it still happens when it is hooked up and topped off. If not, I would replace the battery.
Old 08-30-10, 07:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
I would throw it on a battery charger and see if it still happens when it is hooked up and topped off. If not, I would replace the battery.
x2, charge the battery up, and see if it still happens. Or, better yet have it stress tested first, and if it checks out okay, then charge it up and see if it still makes the noise.