RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

01 RX300 Key replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 04:49 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 01 RX300 Key replacement

Okay im in the process of buying a RX. All the owner has is the Emergency Key card with the aluminium key to start the car. He said they called the dealer and they said they can get a new master fob key for about $200. Does anyone know if this is the case? I keep seeing things about needing new ecu's or reprogrammed ecu's if you dont have a master key to program the new keys with. Is there anyway to program the new master with the emergency key? Im reading a lot about what people think can be done but cant seem to find exactly what the deal is.
Old 08-01-10, 08:51 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Ive been reading all night on this and from what i gather is you do have to replace ecu or get it reflashed to accept a new key IF you dont have the master key. I will call Lexus tomorrow to confirm.

As of now my work around that i think will probably work is to:
1. Get two non-transponder keys from dealextreme.com @ $3.66 each
2. Have keys cut $25-40 each
3. Glue/stick emergency key transponder near ignition
4. Get cheap $30 aftermarket keyless entry
Old 08-02-10, 01:59 PM
ExPatBrit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the dealer can get you a new master key and remote I would get one.

The remote and transponder are part of the same electronics.

Then buy a second used remote / uncut key on E-bay for about $70.

http://www.programyourremote.com/cla...Ad.asp?id=1784

Once it's cut clone it to the master.

The other option sounds ridiculous, you will never be able to resell the car in the future with that setup.
Old 08-02-10, 03:28 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Ok i got all the info i need. If you dont have a master key you cant program other keys. You have to get new ecu and have new master key programmed to it or have the old ecu reflashed so it will open it up to receive new master key.

I dont see why my option is ridiculous. You or anyone else will never know. The emergency key transponder will be hidden behind key ignition panel. You will still have a stock lexus key (valet style) and just a different fob to unlock car Id really like to not have a lexus pos fob anyways. Ive had two is300's and they have been through 4 of those key fobs...i finally gave up and just use the valet key because its the only one that doesnt bust apart in 10 degree weather.
Old 08-02-10, 03:46 PM
ExPatBrit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bufferdan
Ok i got all the info i need. If you dont have a master key you cant program other keys. You have to get new ecu and have new master key programmed to it or have the old ecu reflashed so it will open it up to receive new master key.

I dont see why my option is ridiculous. You or anyone else will never know. The emergency key transponder will be hidden behind key ignition panel. You will still have a stock lexus key (valet style) and just a different fob to unlock car Id really like to not have a lexus pos fob anyways. Ive had two is300's and they have been through 4 of those key fobs...i finally gave up and just use the valet key because its the only one that doesnt bust apart in 10 degree weather.
The key fobs are seriously cr*p, no disagreement there. I have (2) new ones and two extra spares in the drawer.

That's a serious limitation on getting new keys, new ECU required???

Even our other German car only requires that you spend 1/2 hour labor. They can supply cut key and remote by VIN#.

Mental note to self "buy another key remote and lock in safe!"

Good luck anyway, hope you got a good deal. Could you buy an ECU and key from a wrecked RX of the same year. I know you would still need the keys cut, but would that work?
Old 08-02-10, 04:06 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Yeah i guess you could get a ecu and key from wrecked one and buy a new key to program to it. Still would probably cost about the same. Lexus told me they will replace the ecu once if you buy two masters + programming + labor which is $540+ tax. This is my last resort. I already have two lexus valet keys on their way and will get them cut and a buddy that does alarm/keyless installs so he is going to hook me up.
Old 08-02-10, 04:11 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Oh and its a 2001 Onyx Black with black/walnut interior with 178k. Drove great, no weird sounds or leaks from what i could tell. Will need a timing belt pretty soon which i will do along with full fluid changes. Got it for $4500 so i think its a decent deal