RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Upgrade Tires + Braking on RX

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 12:21 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgrade Tires + Braking on RX

Ok guys so I drive the 250 and the lady drives the Rx300. She has been using my car every now and then and prefers the IS's handeling and breaking over the 300s. I know I know...different kind of car. What would you suggest to give the RX300 a better feel. Im on stock RX330 rims so im thinking a change of tires and pads/rotors?

Any suggestions would help...oh I have 255-55-18 tires...a little bigger then the 235-55-18 which were on there originally (rx330 not rx300).

Thanks!
Old 08-11-10, 12:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

You can make tweaks and the level of difference you will make is like full_tank of gas, + 5 adults + owners manual vs without.

Salim
Old 08-11-10, 12:58 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

what if i switch to ceramic brakes to make it "feel" like its tighter (you press it less to stop)
Old 08-11-10, 01:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I've heard that Hawk brakes bit real hard, so I'm going to try those next on my RX. My cousin has them on his RX and they are great, big improvement over my Duralast brake pads. The only reason I put on crap Duralasts was because I had a gift card for AutoZone, but I did get the Ceramics so they aren't bad at all.
If your looking for maximum stopping power, think about getting some Hawk pads and slotted rotors from Raybestos. But the slotted rotors may be expensive. I honestly don't see a big difference in slotted rotors but I know people that swear by them, so they must have a huge improvement on cooling.
Old 08-11-10, 06:30 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

ill go ceramics next for sure, ill try out hawks maybe lexus has a ceramic option for the RX? Thats where Ive been getting everything done.
Old 08-11-10, 07:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 309 Likes on 269 Posts

By all means get the best tires you can. They will improve roadholding and braking. Unfortunately, they won't change the fundamental handling feel of the car, which is characterized by soft springing and mild damping. The RX300 is a luxury car - not a sports car or an off-road hauler. I know exactly what you mean - my daily driver is an IS250 and when I get into the RX300 it fels like a fully loader ocean liner!
Old 08-12-10, 07:11 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Which tires do you recommend...im switching them soon I think. That + ceramic brakes will maybe help a little but yea....dont think im going to get any drastic results.
Old 08-12-10, 02:59 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there ya go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cross...ht_3125wt_1167

ive been using their stuff for years on all my cars and braking improves drastically!!
Old 08-12-10, 04:13 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 309 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
Which tires do you recommend...im switching them soon I think.
Don't have a specific recommendation for the RX but for my other cars, I get Michelins, if they're on sale, otherwise I've had good luck with Kumho ASX. I've had mixed experience with Goodyear, Dunlop. And my experience bears absolutely NO relation to the the surveys on Tire Rack so I don't use those any more.
Old 08-12-10, 05:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I also get Michelins. I absolutely hate Goodyear. If your not looking to get michelins, I'd recommend Bridgestone or Kumho.
Old 08-13-10, 06:02 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Yea im gonna get those rotors and see how they work, Ill also do ceramic brakes. Im using Michelins right now so maybe ill give Kuhmo a try once I move down to the 245-55-18.
Old 08-16-10, 11:28 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Utter silliness to get new rotors. Talk about a waste of money that you won't feel at all. Getting ceramic pads was a way better idea. I put on Akebono ProACT pads and they bite quick, and have a linear feel all the way. I also put new OEM rotors on at the same time. Michelin's would be the way to go on tires for sure. If new brake pads/rotors and new tires don't do it for ya, look into upgrading the shocks/springs to something a bit sportier. A new set of KYB shocks is only $250. For improved steering, you can get sport sway bars for $400.
Old 08-16-10, 12:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Utter silliness to get new rotors. Talk about a waste of money that you won't feel at all. Getting ceramic pads was a way better idea. I put on Akebono ProACT pads and they bite quick, and have a linear feel all the way. I also put new OEM rotors on at the same time. Michelin's would be the way to go on tires for sure. If new brake pads/rotors and new tires don't do it for ya, look into upgrading the shocks/springs to something a bit sportier. A new set of KYB shocks is only $250. For improved steering, you can get sport sway bars for $400.
New rotors are not a waste of money... rotors have heat capacity which eventually becomes lower and lower. Heat will affect the braking power immensely, which is why rotors should be in good shape and shouldn't be rusty or be shaved to the point that they don't have sufficient heat capacity to handle heavy braking or even light braking for that matter. Newer rotors have a much larger heat capacity keeping the brakes performing flawlessly "no matter" how hard you push them. I use the term "no matter" in a loose manner and doesn't certainly include going down steep gradients with the brakes on.
Old 08-16-10, 01:06 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

the bars sound like a good idea...ill look into it
Old 08-18-10, 04:01 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
By all means get the best tires you can. They will improve roadholding and braking. Unfortunately, they won't change the fundamental handling feel of the car, which is characterized by soft springing and mild damping. The RX300 is a luxury car - not a sports car or an off-road hauler. I know exactly what you mean - my daily driver is an IS250 and when I get into the RX300 it fels like a fully loader ocean liner!
This happens to me too, gotta slow down in some of those turns in the RX.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Tires + Braking on RX