RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300 fan at MAX speed then not work

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 01:24 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 RX300 fan at MAX speed then not work

My 99 RX300 began to have a fan problem around 1 weeks ago.

Once I turned on the engine, the fan will work at MAX speed. The control wheel on the dash board cannot control the fan speed at all. But I could shut down the fan if I press "OFF" on the dash board. It has been like this for about 1 week. Then today, during the driving, the fan suddenly shut down completely, no matter whether I use the dash board control to turn it on or not. I notice that the fan will turn itself on automatically if I leave the control on "on" status for some time. It can last about 1 min, then it shuts down again itself.

it's really hot these several days. it's really hard to drive w/o A/C on.

Anyone have any suggestion about it?
Old 08-11-10, 06:08 PM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

Have you checked the fuses by the driver knee?

There is a fan speed control module which may be bad among other things.

Salim
Old 08-11-10, 07:10 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
are there any diagram or pictures for this module?
Old 08-11-10, 07:48 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Check this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...peed-only.html
Old 08-17-10, 02:24 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
I pull off the dash board on driver's side. There are so many fuses there. How can I check which one is bad? or which one is related to fan operation?

This is my 1st time to do any fix in car. really need some details suggestion.

I also pull off the glove compartment on the passenger side. where should I expect to see the blower motor control module? how can I determine it's bad or not.

I am borrowing a picture online

can anybody point out where is the firewall and blower motor control module?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-10, 06:00 PM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by ididit
I pull off the dash board on driver's side. There are so many fuses there. How can I check which one is bad? or which one is related to fan operation?

This is my 1st time to do any fix in car. really need some details suggestion.

I also pull off the glove compartment on the passenger side. where should I expect to see the blower motor control module? how can I determine it's bad or not.

I am borrowing a picture online

can anybody point out where is the firewall and blower motor control module?

Thanks.
There should be map of fuses and function.

Please get hold of service manual to locate and test out the module. If I am not mistaken Alldata provides the access to the manual for a fee.

Salim
Old 08-18-10, 12:44 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

try to do a ac/heat self-diagnosis based on another thread. LCD shows code "21" on the screen first. then keep flashing the same info. unless I push "refresh" button, it begins to show number 0 to 9 with different level of blowing scale on screen. repeatedly, again and again. won't stop. If I push "refresh" button again, display becomes code "21" info again.

What do it mean? I saw other thread mentioned that other code will pop out. Does it mean that my car don't have other problem?
Old 09-03-10, 01:53 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

just got the car fix today.

since I didn't have necessary device to detect which part is wrong, I sent my car to my local car shop for diagnosis. the mechanic man found that it's the BLOWER MOTOR CONTROL that caused the problem. The part number is 87165-22040. he called local dealer for a quote. It's about $300 for the device. So he suggested me to go online to buy one instead(That's actually what I am going to do. ).

I made an order from sewellparts.com. It cost $180 after I used club member discount. The part I order is 87165-22050, which is used by RX300 from 2001 to 2003.

The following 3 photos shows the actual part & the part location in the car.

The part is behind passenger side glove box.

you can unscrew it and unplug the cable, then take the part out.

the old broken blower motor control part

It's my first time to do DIY work with my car. a little bit nervous. thanks for all your suggestions. I did found lots of useful info that made myself more confident about what I need to do about it. BTW, I also changed the engineer oil. That's my 1st time to do it too. Not too bad. by following the online instruction, it's quite an easy job except unscrewing the engineer oil plug. it's really fun.

Tomorrow I am going to change the tires from Pepboys. They have a Buy 3 to Get 1 FREE promotion going on. Hopefully by then, my lexus will be ready for the winter.

Last edited by ididit; 09-03-10 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 09:44 AM
albyone
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to thank ididit for the photos and easy explanation to fixing the blower control module.

I had the same problem with the fan constantly blowing at full blast. Eventually it stopped running. I removed the cabin air filter that's located at the back of the glove compartment (which by the way I also replaced, coz it looked really nasty!), unscrewed the 2 nuts at the bottom of the glove compartment, unscrewed the 2 top screws, and wiggled it out. The rest is as shown in the great photos.

One note: the back of the control module has a heat sink that gets very hot if you have the car running. It could be that the transistors inside were broken and just burning up, or maybe that's how it works when new (I didn't try feeling testing this with the new one), so, just be careful and don't burn yourself!

Thanks again for great info on this site.

Alberto
Old 10-09-13, 10:51 AM
NBKarnage
Driver School Candidate

Reviving this post slightly as it's just entered my world...

I have a couple lines on the same part number item, but they came from IS300 2001-2005. I have a 99RX300 and just want to know if they will work together.
Part looks identical and I'm sure will work, but it's still slightly pricey and non-returnable if I purchase.

Thanks!