RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX supply drying up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 02:09 PM
white01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX supply drying up?

What's up folks? I just happened to be browsing the corporate site (Lexus) and noticed that FWD models with the exception of the Coach editions aren't available. I tried my home zip code which includes JM Lexus- they claim to be the "Largest Lexus Dealership in the World" - (if they say so )- They do have a large inventory though, none available. Tried my work zip, which includes most of Miami - none Available.

I did try an AWD configuration and it appears they are still around.

Is Lexus spooling back production? Anyone know- PaddY
Old 07-11-02, 05:15 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Drying up??

Last week I went to test drive a Ford escape just to see if their AWD was as good as people were saying. Virtually everything in stock was FWD! The salesman said that they couldn't keep AWD in stock and he rather wished Ford didn't ask them to sell an allocation of FWD here in the Pacific Northwest.

maybe you have the reverse situation in Florida, no one wants AWD.

Last edited by wwest; 07-11-02 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-11-02, 08:49 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After browsing the lexus.com site and attempting to build vehicles by entering zip codes from NC to NJ, I've come away with the impression that the site isn't working properly. The db may have become corrupt or is not updated. I've built a lot of web sites, and the responses I'm getting when trying to "Build Your Lexus" leads me to that conclusion.

Ever heard of Occam's Razor?
Occam's razor is a logical principle attributed to the medieval philosopher William of Occam (or Ockham).
The principle states that one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed, or...All things being equal (normal), the simplest solution is the answer.

So, rather than thinking of Lexus Corporation, production levels in Japan and a network of dealers and their inventory, let's look at the person or software program that maintains the web page that fostered this thinking

My answer: Lexus has plenty of cars. The web site
is screwed up, give them 24 hours to fix it.

PS White01, Please ignore those who would mention a Ford
Escape in the Lexus RX 300 forum. They cannot be trusted.
Old 07-11-02, 11:19 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
After browsing the lexus.com site and attempting to build vehicles by entering zip codes from NC to NJ, I've come away with the impression that the site isn't working properly. The db may have become corrupt or is not updated. I've built a lot of web sites, and the responses I'm getting when trying to "Build Your Lexus" leads me to that conclusion.
I think your right cuzz i was using the Lexus and Toyota build your car and the wouldn't even load up.
Old 07-12-02, 09:19 AM
white01
Driver

Think it has to do with them updating the sites in anticipation of 2003 model year dealer allotment/inventory?

When does the 2003 model year start anyway? - I'm speaking of carryover models - not "complete re-designs"
Old 07-12-02, 09:53 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I still think the web site is just screwed up. Give'm a little time to fix it.

Model year?
For most of my life, the model year began in the fall (Sept-Oct ). It's been creeping up in the last few years.

It's all free-for-all these days. Toyota has had the 03 Corolla out for months, along with the Matrix(Corolla). Honda has the 03 Pilot...Ford 03 Expedition (Last year it was the early 02 T-Bird)....MB 03 SL500. These are just some...

Lexus announced the new 03 GX 470 debut for November. That has changed to "late 2002".

Hey, they want that market share. It's all about the $$$.

The same reasoning is why there are Christmas decorations up at some businesses the day after Halloween. They used to wait until after Thanksgiving.
Old 07-16-02, 11:17 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Website is screwed up. They haven't even updated my vehicle information (Owners Site) which I tried to update 4 months ago. I called them on the 800 number, emailed them twice, called them again, and wrote to them but nothing happened.

They responded back to me and apologized about three times saying that they will take care of the problem but still....nothing.

More and more, their apologies don't mean to me as much as before. Lip service is cheap.
Old 07-16-02, 02:07 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I wrote Lexus an e-mail, informing them that their "Build Your Lexus" web page was not working correctly. The response was that their site was working correctly and if I needed further technical assistance, to contact my service provider.

There's nothing wrong with my service provider.

I sent another e-mail, to better guide them.

I placed a phone call to the Lexus Customer Satisfaction hotline. I had the rep follow my mouse clicks on his PC...the "Build Your Lexus" application failed for him.

They are now working on the problem.
Old 07-26-02, 04:32 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Update:

It's been 13 days since I contacted Lexus about their
web site. Here's their latest response from earlier today:

"Thank you for your response. Our website is not functioning properly at this time. Our Internet Marketing Department is still looking into your concern. Thank you for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused."

Ay least they finally admitted it in writing.
Old 07-29-02, 12:28 PM
white01
Driver

I wonder it has affected potential sales?

On the other hand my Selling dealer does seem to be AWD heavy now, as opposed to the other way around. Months back it was exactly the opposite. I would say there are about 7 new RX's, 3 or 4 LX's and a SEA of GS's, ES's, LS's & IS's. I Think I saw 3 SC's as well. This is supposedly, as they claim ("The Largest Lexus Dealership In The World"). I will say they probably have the largest inventory for South Florida.

I'm originally from California, and I know about Longo Toyota, I haven't seem their Lexus Dealership, but if it's anything like the Toyota Dealership I think they may have a stake in being one of the Largest Dealership's, if not the largest.

For the folks out in El Monte - what's the status? Do you know if Longo has a surplus of RX's still available?
Old 08-09-02, 02:00 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

I haven't heard this week from Lexus regarding their "Build Your Lexus" web site, but it just worked for me and then...

While writing this post, I now get an error: Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Hah...lame