RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Key remote not responding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 09:11 PM
satxrx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key remote not responding?

Lately I've been noticing that my key remote intermittenly stops working (i.e. press the button and nothing happens). Thing is the key was supposed to be brand new (replaced when I bought the RX as CPO) and so I don't think it's the internal battery.

So what I have to do is stick the key in the lock and manually unlock the RX. A real pain especially when I'm holding on to my kid. Strange thing is that it's intermitten. Won't happen all the time.

What's wrong with this scene? Is it the key or the car? Anyone else run across this?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-02, 11:08 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

It's your remote. I have the same situation today. I parked my car in the movie garage and I came back. I couldn't remember which floor I parked so (2nd or 3rd floor) so I pressed the panic button. No sound. I kept pressing it. The little red LED was dim. When I finally found my car, I pressed UNLOCK very close and it worked. Check your owners manual for the thin circle battery, which I think is 1616 something (easy to remember). I put a new battery and everything is find. Try it. I never unlock my door manually anymore with technology these days.
=)
Old 07-13-02, 10:28 AM
foucco
Rookie

I have the same problem. I figured out that all I have to do is stick the key in the lock (don't turn it) and it works after that. I thought it was my remote, but had the dealer check both batteries (2 keys) and they were both fine. Putnam Lexus opened and closed it ten times with my key remote and deemed it functional (pathetic) so I'm going to take it to another dealership that will take the time to diagnose it.

I think it's got something to do with the tranceiver in the car because one key is new and both of them have the problem.

I may take it in this week or in early August. I'll let you know if they find anything.
Old 07-15-02, 11:48 AM
Thunk
Driver School Candidate

I've had this happen to me too. Every once in awhile the remote just refuses to unlock the door. I've never had this happen with the IS300.
I wonder if Lexus Service is aware that this might be a recurring problem with RX owners.

David
Old 07-15-02, 01:38 PM
Brentone
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same trouble. I came to the conclusion since it only happens when it some sort of parking lot. That it it some sort of theif deterint. (it thinks some is trying to use some kind of device to fake the transmiter code) so it shuts down. Just my guess, becouse it never happens at home.

Last edited by Brentone; 07-15-02 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-15-02, 01:58 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default I agree with everyone

I've thought about all the same possible reasons that everyone's posted as to why the remote goes comatose every now and then.

Still a mystery. But seems to only occur at shopping strips and Costco. It's probably some sort of interference of some kind.

I'll keep a mental note of when the remote goes out and see if there's a pattern.
Old 03-31-09, 09:46 PM
sacscorpio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foucco
I have the same problem. I figured out that all I have to do is stick the key in the lock (don't turn it) and it works after that. I thought it was my remote, but had the dealer check both batteries (2 keys) and they were both fine. Putnam Lexus opened and closed it ten times with my key remote and deemed it functional (pathetic) so I'm going to take it to another dealership that will take the time to diagnose it.

I think it's got something to do with the tranceiver in the car because one key is new and both of them have the problem.

I may take it in this week or in early August. I'll let you know if they find anything.
Did you ever find out what was causing this? I'm having the same problem now!
Old 03-31-09, 10:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,084 Likes on 976 Posts

The Lexus remote receiver has a security feature and it locks up [you need the key inserted in the lock mechanism to un-lock] and stops accepting remote signal.

This security feature is activated when the receiver receives the same frequency but different id-code.... like a remote lock-unlock from another RX key (with in the reception range). This security has been put in to prevent people from using a scanner-transmitter to bombard the remote with different codes to un-lock the RX.

It is like a wrong password once and the account is locked up. You need the supervisor password (the key) to unlock.

The other possibility is the battery is weak. Check the red led ,,, it should light up. Typically the life of the battery is 5+yrs.

The lock actuator(s) go bad over time. Have not heard of the receiving unit go bad (can happen though, but very unlikely).

Lastly, the range of the RX key remote is fairly long. You can extend the range by holding the key between your chin and the neck (key tip pointing up). I really dont know the long term medical implications. So do it in desperation and try to avoid it as much as possible.

Salim
Old 04-01-09, 05:21 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
. I really dont know the long term medical implications.
I'm completely confident there are none. The radio-frequency (RF) power is extremely low. -- Bob, the retired Electrical Engineer
Old 04-01-09, 04:36 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about the roaming scanning error and the system deactivating, but it does seem to occur to me more frequency in outdoor situations. I had always theorized that it was because of powerline wires overhead because for me, it always occurs that this one area where there are high tension wires above.

As for the "resetting" putting the key into the lock and then unlocking manually while pressing the "unlock" button seems to easily reactivate the lock.
Old 04-01-09, 10:55 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

happened to me when i was downtown alone late at night : / the car wouldnt lock so i didnt go far