RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

window motor/regulator issues, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 01:46 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default window motor/regulator issues, any ideas?

Passenger side window rolls down fine, but when you go to roll it back up, it typically rolls itself back down a little instead.

This tells me the rails are probably grimy and getting stuck, thus setting off the anti-pinch mode and lowering it.

When the window is all the way down... it's down. It's stuck now. Time is of the essence as the wife doesn't like driving around with a garbage bag taped there.

While being stuck down, if I hit the up button, I can hear it click 2-3 times inside the door.

Should I even look into the motor/regulator or switches contacts? Or do you think I oughtta just tackle cleaning the rails + window stuff? I wanna fix this the 1st try instead of having to take apart the door 3 times before I identify the culprit ya know.

Thanks
Old 09-07-10, 07:40 PM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I had this problem with my driver side window and it was a big pain. I couldn't use the window to go drive-thru's etc. I'm pretty sure you are having the same problem i use to have. Basically when i roll my window down, it rolls down fine. But when its time to roll it back up, instead of rolling up, it rolls further down. Once its completely down, with multiple times of pushing the "UP" button, all i would hear is "click" "Click" "Click.

Anyhow, i bought my 2000 RX300 to the dealership and asked them about my window. They tried to take away my arm and leg. They were telling me if i wanted to get it fix, i would have to replace the motor, the electrical component and blah blah blah and everything would cost more than $600 bucks, (not including labor).

After coming home and being traumatized from the dealership, I figure i could live with a window that doesn't work. For almost a year, it was a pain not being able to roll the driver side window down and i had to open my door if i had to get a parking pass etc.

Anyhow, one day i was with my friend and we were at an auto body collision center to get his car audio system fix. I figured since i was there, i would ask them if its possible for them to fix my window. They checked it out and said its a "Timing Issue". I believe the repair man told me they had to reprogram the window so that the motor know the windows positions again. Everything only cost me around 50 bucks, including labor. They lubricated all the parts and now it works just fine and i'm happy again. I hope this helps you and dont let Lexus take an Arm and a Leg from you.
Old 09-07-10, 08:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Mine's practically dead (not that I care), but for me it's now definitely the motor. All that I could do with lubing the rail and anything else hasn't solved it...the motor is definitely on the way out. Sometimes it will go up somewhat and somewhat down. What I end up having to do is push the window up to help get the window up. Eventually, I will fix the window motor, but right now it's not a maintenance priority.

Taking off the door isn't an enormous pain once you do it once, but it makes sense to take it off to see what is going there. The window motor/regulator can and will go at some point.
Old 09-07-10, 08:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Mine's practically dead (not that I care), but for me it's now definitely the motor. All that I could do with lubing the rail and anything else hasn't solved it...the motor is definitely on the way out. Sometimes it will go up somewhat and somewhat down. What I end up having to do is push the window up to help get the window up. Eventually, I will fix the window motor, but right now it's not a maintenance priority.

Taking off the door isn't an enormous pain once you do it once, but it makes sense to take it off to see what is going there. The window motor/regulator can and will go at some point.
Ron:

I predicted doom & gloom, but after lube, it did last couple of years. Not bad.

Salim
Old 09-07-10, 09:33 PM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine 01 RX FWD has exactly the same problem and on the same side as well. I leave it in the up position intact. Not fun.
Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Passenger side window rolls down fine, but when you go to roll it back up, it typically rolls itself back down a little instead.

This tells me the rails are probably grimy and getting stuck, thus setting off the anti-pinch mode and lowering it.

When the window is all the way down... it's down. It's stuck now. Time is of the essence as the wife doesn't like driving around with a garbage bag taped there.

While being stuck down, if I hit the up button, I can hear it click 2-3 times inside the door.

Should I even look into the motor/regulator or switches contacts? Or do you think I oughtta just tackle cleaning the rails + window stuff? I wanna fix this the 1st try instead of having to take apart the door 3 times before I identify the culprit ya know.

Thanks
Old 09-08-10, 11:12 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
Mine 01 RX FWD has exactly the same problem and on the same side as well. I leave it in the up position intact. Not fun.
LOL, well this won't be the 1st time i've replaced a motor inside the door (door lock motor in my GS) so I'm OK with ripping everything up... kinda nervous about dealing with the glass window but w/e.

I'm gonna go with cleaning the contacts on the master and passenger side switches. Next, I'm gonna clean/lube the rails and glass edges. Hopefully this will buy me some more time with the motor. Our vendor has it for sale for like $360, but shipping is $66!!!!! I dunno about fixing the window for $430 any time soon. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Also, thanks a ton for the write-ups related to this, lexmex. When wife said her window was broke, I was like "ehhhh, I'm sure lexmex has a DIY for it on the RX forum =D" Aaaaaand I was right! But you the man, f'real