RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

LED Windshield washer fluid dispensers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-02, 08:44 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Windshield washer fluid dispensers

I was going to put the blue LED chromed windshield washer fluid dispensers on my RX, but I was just in at the dealer getting my 30,000 mile service done (ended up already needing new rear brakes by the way - what's with that???), and I got to discussing with a service manager buddy of mine - he strongly recommended against it as he said if you hook it in with the parking lights (as recommended by the install instructions) you could screw up any one of the 14 computers in the vehicle and this invalidates any warranty repair on that type of problem...

Anybody done this mod? I don't want to invalidate my warranty for any reason, but I sure like the mod... especially because of the chromed dispensors instead of the OEM black ones.

Ck
Old 07-17-02, 09:52 AM
Handogen
Driver

Ick... I wouldn't put those on... I think they're cheezy. But that's just my opinion.

The voiding the warranty should be enough of a deterrent, not to mention if something goes wrong, it's all on you.

Take care,
Hando
Old 07-17-02, 10:10 AM
Goncookoo

i was looking into it a few months back. i even have the led win. wip. fluid. dispensers sitting in my desk but didnt get to installing it yet.

I cant seem to find a way to get at the back of the factory nozzels without taking apart the underside of the hood. it seemed like too much work for two tiny nozzels that sprayed a
"fine mist" which i didnt like anyway. plus the LED ones looked king of big on the hood due to the housing of the bulb.

i think if you hooked it up correctly there wont be any problems.
i did it to my cousins car, infiniti I30, and i spliced the parking lights.

i cant see any major problems with it unless you "somehow" short out something. but then again theres aways circuit breakers. also, i dunno know know how the RX monitors blown out lights, but i dont think our RX's monitors the front parking lights?? I think we only monitor the rear lights??? so if we do monitor lights thats the only thing i could think of that would be a problem... maybe? The tech just said it "might" be a problem to be over cautious IMO.

In my profession i advise against a lot of things that i know wont really be a problem. I think hes just being over cautious.
Old 07-18-02, 12:23 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

LED washer fluid lights.... man honestly i hate those... very very cheezy!!! my opinion. i get mixed feelings on those, but mostly i think it looks dumb...

but ya, my gf has it installed on her accord and she didn't wire it to the parking brakes. What she did instead was had a wire running into the driver side with 4 double A's attached and a on off switch. So it gets it power off of that.

BTW, if your window gets dirty and you need to dispense the fluid... man do those LEW wash SUCKS for that!!! my gf window gets dirty and i turn on the washer and it shoots VERY low and bearly hits the glass... so becareful guys!
Old 07-18-02, 07:06 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by spinteews
LED washer fluid lights.... man honestly i hate those... very very cheezy!!! my opinion. i get mixed feelings on those, but mostly i think it looks dumb...

but ya, my gf has it installed on her accord and she didn't wire it to the parking brakes. What she did instead was had a wire running into the driver side with 4 double A's attached and a on off switch. So it gets it power off of that.

BTW, if your window gets dirty and you need to dispense the fluid... man do those LEW wash SUCKS for that!!! my gf window gets dirty and i turn on the washer and it shoots VERY low and bearly hits the glass... so becareful guys!
Thanks for the advice spin... thinking about it I've had a change of heart on the matter - I got carried away in trying to make "unique" ride with disregard for taste... plus it sounds like they are DEFINATELY NOT suited for a Wisconsin winter - I love the performance of the OEM washers on the RX - they really spray it good (especially with the tripple nozzle that they have).
Okay, I'll spend my time thinking up some different, more tasteful (and hopefully performance oriented) mod.
ck
Old 07-18-02, 08:18 AM
Handogen
Driver

Hey Calvin, how about some mexican dingle-***** inside around the windows? hehe... j/k. That was wrong....

http://www.dingleball.com/game.htm