RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Some transmitter key blanks do not work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 04:50 PM
Glendokid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Some transmitter key blanks do not work.

The transmitter key seems fragile in that the brass part is not well secured to the plastic part. Mine broke (the brass part broke the plastic where it was mounted) - likely from keeping my keys in my pocket.

No problem, go to your dealer and get a new one. Take money.

Note: The transmitter was fine, the brass part simply separated from the black case holding the transmitter.

After looking at this site a bit, I decided that this was easy and inexpensive to fix.

I went to Ebay and bought an "empty" key case - that is the brass blank and the plastic case (attached) without a transmitter. They're 10 bucks today, quick delivery.

I took the Key to the best locksmith in Denver and they cut the key using my non transmitter key. 15 bucks.

When I got home, I put in the transmitter and Ooops. The key wouldn't turn in the ignition!

The key would work the doors fine.

Hmmmm. I finally noted that the very end of the brass part of the key was different than my original. The end of the brass key is flat with rounded corners. If you wish, looking at the key from the side, the brass part is rectangular with rounded corners. But the new key has smaller radius rounding than the original.

Could that be it?

I took out a fine, flat file and rounded off the corners of the new key by about an RCH (What's an RCH? "about 6 thousandths of an inch" - an old IBM joke. Round the corners until they match a working key (doesn't have to be a transmitter key).

It worked!

I bought another key blank from another vendor on Ebay - same price - and it did NOT have the problem........

cheers,

tas
Old 09-23-10, 06:48 PM
ExPatBrit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a vendor on E-Bay that will cut keys from a picture of your original.

(2) keys for around $40.

I was a bit skeptical, but switched the electronics over and they work great. They can provide different color housings also.