RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Newbie @ Lexus - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 04:55 AM
homms2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie @ Lexus - HELP

Hello everyone. Nice to be here. I come to you from another excellent user-forum, bimmerfest.com. I'm no more frequenting there cause I sold my baby BMW & got me a fairly used Lexus RX300.

Now, I have 1 problem/question & 3 questions to pose here in this forum.
1) problem/question: Why is my RX seeming Sawying from left to right and visa versa, which i feel from my steering wheel,when I'm cruising on a smoth road. it's very scary and creepy, it feels like exterior force is in control & not me...PLEASE ADVICE!!!

1) Question: What do the 2 amber indicators mean in the attached pic 1?

2) Question: If you notice in Pic 2, my speedometer ain't working...how come? is it a cable, is it computer related....what should I do. **notice the RMP which is at 2000rps while the odometer is flat 0 ( obviously I was in motion when I took the picture)...now by extention, the trip info on the dashboard display doesnt "move" & the outside temp. reading is not accurate i believe cause it's always reading 15 deg....Hot day or Night...

3) is the engine temp reading in it's "normal" position? I know from BMW, that if it's at the half {as in this case** it's normal. So I'm wondering if it's the same on a lexus (see Pic 2).
Attached Thumbnails Newbie @ Lexus - HELP-p1.jpg   Newbie @ Lexus - HELP-p2.jpg  

Last edited by homms2010; 09-25-10 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-25-10, 07:39 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by homms2010
Hello everyone. Nice to be here. I come to you from another excellent user-forum, bimmerfest.com. I'm no more frequenting there cause I sold my baby BMW & got me a fairly used Lexus RX300.

Now, I have 1 problem/question & 3 questions to pose here in this forum.
1) problem/question: Why is my RX seeming Sawying from left to right and visa versa, which i feel from my steering wheel,when I'm cruising on a smoth road. it's very scary and creepy, it feels like exterior force is in control & not me...PLEASE ADVICE!!!

1) Question: What do the 2 amber indicators mean in the attached pic 1?

2) Question: If you notice in Pic 2, my speedometer ain't working...how come? is it a cable, is it computer related....what should I do. **notice the RMP which is at 2000rps while the odometer is flat 0 ( obviously I was in motion when I took the picture)...now by extention, the trip info on the dashboard display doesnt "move" & the outside temp. reading is not accurate i believe cause it's always reading 15 deg....Hot day or Night...

3) is the engine temp reading in it's "normal" position? I know from BMW, that if it's at the half {as in this case** it's normal. So I'm wondering if it's the same on a lexus (see Pic 2).
Did your RX come with an Owner's Manual?
Old 09-25-10, 08:12 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, I know that weird side to side feeling, it was bad tires. Got new ones and it never happened again. The temp is normal, the right amber means one of your tail lights is out and the ABS means ABS.

Speedo and the rest, I don't know.

I cannot believe your Drive light works!
Old 09-25-10, 08:33 AM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

I strongly suggest that any used vehicle should be inspected and tested.

Sway and float: some of the feeling you have could be due to the nature of Lexus and SUV and some thing could be actually wrong with the suspension, [test and inspection should have covered these]. On the same note, RX is relatively floaty, but no where does it gives me a feeling of being dangerous. [It is Lexus SUV and not a sports car].

For the amber lights, they signify a trouble in that area. Tail light malfunction and ABS malfunction. [BMW's are notorious for false Brake light warning ... with Lexus the warnings are 99.99% accurate].

As an owner, at times removing battery for 20 mins or so, removes software gremlins. You will loose your presets too. Try that for resetting the rpm-speedo issue. A good battery is almost required for the electronics to work. If the problem goes away and comes back then replace the battery. If does not go away the a trip to repair shop is needed. If it goes away and never returns, celebrate.

The coolant temp gauge does not need to be exactly 50%. In between the two middle marks is good.

The outside temp gauge displays approx outside temp. I have observed it to be +/-10 degrees and is typically way off when the vehicle is started.

For new owners, it is very beneficial to read the owners manual.

Salim
Old 09-27-10, 09:25 AM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all those that responded. My ID here has changed to NaijaRx300 from homms2010, so further posts from me will be changed.

Sway thing: I'll try to rotate the tires and see if anything changes.....
Temp gauge: I'm used to the BMW being normal in the middle, however for Japanese cars I'm thinking that they should close to the cooler side than the hotter side.

Well, I'll stay in touch and get more involved on this forum.....hopefully with some input rather than question, :-)....