RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Funny Noise???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 03:50 PM
mrbruce4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Funny Noise???

In my 2002 RX300 there is a funny noise that sounds like a loud buzzing coming from what seems to be under the dash on the passenger side or possibly the CD changer in the glove box. It comes & goes at random but kind of regular at start up. Could anyone give any info as to my problem? If so, what are my repair options? Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-25-10, 05:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

is it buzzing or clicking ... if it is clicking, then search on air servo.

Salim
Old 09-25-10, 05:53 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup, sounds like mine, its the Air mix servo.
Old 09-26-10, 07:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Unfortunately, it is the air mix servo. As a matter of fact, it's just my luck that my servo is now making noise too... Great! lol
I'm just going to grease mine... is there any diy's on it? preferably with pictures?
Old 09-26-10, 10:31 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Unfortunately, it is the air mix servo. As a matter of fact, it's just my luck that my servo is now making noise too... Great! lol
I'm just going to grease mine... is there any diy's on it? preferably with pictures?
There are at least 3 servos (if not more). One near the floor of the passenger side is very hard to get to as the hold down bolts can be behind the a/c pipe.

It is very easy to open it up, but remember to put back at the same angle. I just took the grease that had been pushed aside to re-smear on the shaft. One of these days I will buy a tube. I was tempted to reach for the plumbers grease (just because I have some), but there is was enough sitting in the corners.

Salim
Old 09-26-10, 01:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
There are at least 3 servos (if not more). One near the floor of the passenger side is very hard to get to as the hold down bolts can be behind the a/c pipe.

It is very easy to open it up, but remember to put back at the same angle. I just took the grease that had been pushed aside to re-smear on the shaft. One of these days I will buy a tube. I was tempted to reach for the plumbers grease (just because I have some), but there is was enough sitting in the corners.

Salim
Oh, thanks for the tip. Look's like my luck just turned around, I figured that I would change my cabin air filter today because; one it's been a long time, two i thought maybe the noise was coming from something around that area. So i take out the filter and low and behold i see a frickin' leaf in there... no idea how it got down there but it's out now. And there is no more noise.... cheer's to hoping it'll stay that way. lol
Old 09-26-10, 04:01 PM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats funny, I Also changed my cabin filter, and also thought I dropped a leaf in there, or something...
It started making a making a rapid clicking sound, and wouldn't go away.
I pulled the blower motor
(Pop off cover on bottom passenger's side under glove box with screwdriver blade, look up underneath. there's 3, 8mm hex with gold phillips screw heads, take these out. Pull down, and whole unit comes out.unlug wire clip. and its done)
I just installed a used one from E-Bay. Amarture was all burnt up on old one. I never shut my blower off. So I guess it was time. The new one sounds stronger! -And quieter...
Old 09-26-10, 08:52 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default part number for servos

I have already took them apart and cleaned them twice. I want to replace the air servos now. Or just one. Could someone please post a picture with the part numbers and location? One of them that i cleaned is working ok. I need the one that sends the air from your feet to your head;it`s clicking. I don`t have the part numbers and i hate to order the wrong one.I have read on here you can find them on the web cheaper than the dealer. Thanks for any help.