RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

So what is it?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 07:44 AM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what is it?????????????????

Hello People. This is my second post here i think & I've got a potentially serious problem which i feel is coming from the front end of the car. She SWAYS un-announced & un-provoked from side to side when I'm cruising at normal speed of 70-80mph, so you can imagine at higher speeds.....WHAT IS THAT"????

here's what I've done recently, hoping that along the way this problem would go away.....
- replaced front low arms (bushings & ball joints) (L&R)
- replaced front Stab Links (L&R)
- re-greased front shaft (L&R) & replaced hoses
- replaced rear Shock absorbers (L&R)
- re-surfaced all Brake Discs
- replaced rear stab links (L&R)

this is all, as u can see, has to do with the suspension issues. After completing the above, went to do wheel balancing & alignment.....upon all this, there is still a noticeable "SWAYING", albeit not as grave as before.....

Please if anyone has an idea or advice on WHAT I SHOULD do next please do not hesitate to HEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!...

Thanks & awaiting Ur HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!
Old 10-02-10, 11:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

Are you sure this isn't the effect of wind on the freeway?
Old 10-02-10, 12:06 PM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

I'm absolutely sure........ for goodness sake, it's 1,000+ kg of heavy metal....not a kite...:-))))......

anyone else pls?
Old 10-02-10, 01:02 PM
ivan1
Driver

what happens when you let go of the steering wheel or when u loosing the grip on it? is there any noise coming from anywhere. this only happens at higher speed?
Old 10-02-10, 01:04 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

To eliminate external factors, you need to be on a flat smooth road.

Your tires must be in good shape.

Your shock/spring/strut must be in good condition.

You really need to go to a suspension/alignment expert to test out the play in the linkages and pivots. At times it requires special lift set up .. that can raise the vehicle and put suspension under load.

Last of all a structural issue after an accident is nearly impossible to fix.

I have been on this forum for years and mostly the problems have been fixed by changing tires. But posts have been from people who drive on US roads.

Salim
Old 10-03-10, 01:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There has to be a valve of some kind to announce "steering assist needed". Is there a chance that that valve is faulty and doing UNCOMMANDED announcing (meaning having a DEFECTIVE brain of it's own). I am reminded of a car that my boss of MANY years ago took in trade. It was about 2 years old and I borrowed the car once and was appalled at the pull to one side that it had. The former owner said it had been that way since he got it new. I got to looking into it and found the the Equalizer valve (back then was in the steering slave assy.) was adjusted to far to one side and I adjusted it to a neutral position and it steered just fine. It was being "power assisted" that whole time to one side (probably about 15-18 %)
Old 10-08-10, 04:55 AM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

apologies for the late replies to you guys....

well, the problem is still present but now a bit less pronounced. i had changed my rear shocks and my axle (rear....cause the pinion rod & plate had some broken teeth) and seemed to have helped a bit. I'll research that equalizer valve thing & check if my model has it in the first place. also, i discovered a littler part called "harmonic balancer' while looking for parts. could this be a contributor? what is it actually for and where is it located on the car?..

THANKS PPL.....:-)
Old 10-08-10, 05:49 AM
bearbrew
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a "harmonic balancer" located on the forward end of the engine crankshaft. The "harmonic balancer" is about 5 to 6 inches in diameter and about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. It is designed to reduce or eliminate harmonic vibrations within the engine.
I am not sure this is what you are referring to.
Old 10-08-10, 08:30 AM
salimshah

I am lost.

We were on suspension/alignment issue(s) and now we are on engine/motor.

Salim
Old 10-09-10, 01:42 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am lost.

We were on suspension/alignment issue(s) and now we are on engine/motor.

Salim
Salim- I think because he's on the other side of the world, he was just looking at the book upside down! (Was just looking for anything that would "balance" things out).
Old 10-09-10, 01:45 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

also, i discovered a littler part called "harmonic balancer' while looking for parts. could this be a contributor?

Nope, not much of ANY chance that has anything to do with it!
Old 11-04-10, 12:16 PM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

Been a while since I posted here guys. No new updates to report. I've been busy with work lately & haven't had time to update u and Ive been just managing the situation, swaying.

The problem is still present. The car is not "pulling" to one side. I did balancing & alignment and the car is moving straight nicely. Except when it SWAYS. I know it sounds confusing. I strongly sense it has to do with the steering (& every thing connected to it). I'm gonna see this guy over here in the OTHER SIDE OF WORLD (lol) on Saturday & he's supposed to be a steering expert (that's all he repairs). He's gonna bring the rack and all down. check & solve the problem and assemble back. I'm of course gonna be with him every step of the way.

I'm hoping that @ the end of it all, the F---g nuisance of a problem would be history.
I'll keep u guys posted.

On a separate issue: my speedometer doesn't work & hence the digital reading on the display.I've replaced the speedometer cable/sensor, left side, front and back & NADA. checked all fuses & relays, NOTHING. Am a missing something guys??? Help pls. Also, for some reason my CD-loader doesn't produce SOUND at all. Radio & cassette Blast sounds just perfectly..HELP too, :-) !!!

Thanks in advance ppl.
Old 11-04-10, 02:48 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the swaying issue and it went away with new tires. Not saying that is your problem but it took care of mine. What tires do you have and what is the condition?
Old 11-07-10, 07:35 AM
NaijaRx300
Driver School Candidate

i have GT radials. granted my tyres are not very good but i dont think its the problem. If they wer a big cause as implied, doing balancing & alignment should take care of it.
I want u guys to help me by focusing on the steering aspect of the problem. I do feel a minor "clearance" or "gapping" from the steering wheel so i am still planning to visit THIS guy who's supposed to be good.

i'll keep u guys posted...
Old 11-07-10, 08:39 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by NaijaRx300
i have GT radials. granted my tyres are not very good but i dont think its the problem. If they wer a big cause as implied, doing balancing & alignment should take care of it.
I want u guys to help me by focusing on the steering aspect of the problem. I do feel a minor "clearance" or "gapping" from the steering wheel so i am still planning to visit THIS guy who's supposed to be good.

i'll keep u guys posted...
I know you are tempted to rule out tires, but keep them as a distinct possibility. Do the other stuff, but at times there are hidden defects. If only you could swap out all fours for a known good set ...

Salim