RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX Brakes are super good

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 09:47 PM
salimshah

Received 1,095 Likes on 985 Posts
Default RX Brakes are super good

Today my RX brakes saved a life.

To enter my neighborhood I have to cross over a boulevard [2 lanes each way divided by a grassy median]. It is a "T" junction and there is no traffic light. Rush hour traffic, produces long line of vehicles and they leave a gap to allow crossing vehicles to cross over. I crossed the median and my passenger door was in line with the first car ... and I see a bicyclist come speeding from behind the second car. I slammed the brakes and bicyclist zoomed by.

I was shaken and a silent prayer escaped my lips. I am so glad that I did not hit the bicyclist.

So glad that the RX brakes are super good.

Salim
Old 10-08-10, 02:45 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Today my RX brakes saved a life.

To enter my neighborhood I have to cross over a boulevard [2 lanes each way divided by a grassy median]. It is a "T" junction and there is no traffic light. Rush hour traffic, produces long line of vehicles and they leave a gap to allow crossing vehicles to cross over. I crossed the median and my passenger door was in line with the first car ... and I see a bicyclist come speeding from behind the second car. I slammed the brakes and bicyclist zoomed by.

I was shaken and a silent prayer escaped my lips. I am so glad that I did not hit the bicyclist.

So glad that the RX brakes are super good.

Salim

Glad you avoided the accident! Are you using factory pads/rotors?
Old 10-08-10, 06:12 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super good???? REALLY?!?!?!?! I'm glad they were able to stop ya in time... but with new OEM rotors, and new Akebone pads, I can't get the RX to even squeal the tires when stomping on them. It just gradually comes to a stop.

If I did the same stunt in my GS... tires would lock up and bring it screeching to a halt. So I guess they're pretty good in comparison to like... a school bus. But driving back to back with another car that DOES have super good brakes is like night and day, and makes the RX brakes feel like oatmeal. I wanna put LS or TT brakes on the GS and put the GS brakes on my RX It's fun to dream.
Old 10-08-10, 08:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,095 Likes on 985 Posts

Brakes are OEM.

I subscribe to the thought that it is the Tires and the road surface that maters the most once the vehicle is equipped with ABS.[that even eliminates the driver]. Superior after-market mods can help if there is brake fade due to excessive braking or slowing down from 80mph with wot.

In my case I am using soft tires. 25k and I am almost ready to change the tires. But that is another story. Also there was no additional weight and the pavement was bone dry.

Comparing with GS400:
GS400 has good braking when you look at the raw published numbers. Have not had an emergency situation, but driving it, I always question if it will stop in time and it does. I feel almost opposite to what JiBBel comparing RX with GS braking. Again these are just how one feels and the scientific data may or may not match it.

Salim
Old 10-08-10, 09:45 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Super good???? REALLY?!?!?!?! I'm glad they were able to stop ya in time... but with new OEM rotors, and new Akebone pads, I can't get the RX to even squeal the tires when stomping on them. It just gradually comes to a stop.

If I did the same stunt in my GS... tires would lock up and bring it screeching to a halt. So I guess they're pretty good in comparison to like... a school bus. But driving back to back with another car that DOES have super good brakes is like night and day, and makes the RX brakes feel like oatmeal. I wanna put LS or TT brakes on the GS and put the GS brakes on my RX It's fun to dream.
Why are your brakes locking up and squealing when you have antilocks??
Old 10-08-10, 07:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I think the stock brakes on the RX are fantastic! Currently I have Auto Zone Rotors and Auto Zone Ceramic Pads, and they provide excellent stopping power. But, the OEM pads and rotors were awesome, the RX has great brakes, they are not under-sized like some other vehicle's I've driven.
Old 10-08-10, 07:30 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
Why are your brakes locking up and squealing when you have antilocks??
x2. If you have Anti-Lock brakes your wheels shouldn't lock up upon full pressure on the brake pedal. Although, I believe you may have been trying to be sarcastic.
Old 10-09-10, 09:09 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having good tires and decent suspension are also very important factors in stopping distance, I have pretty good bite with EBC Red Stuff and EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors but as per earlier post if I make an emergency stop sometimes my tires can lock up because they are worn to crap. But glad to hear you avoided an accident.
Old 10-09-10, 12:00 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had my brakes done at a Lexus / Toyota show, and agree that the brakes on the OEM brakes on the RX300 are fantastic! But they should be, for the price.

I also had a 2004 Highlander, and I've always felt that the brakes in the 2002 RX300 were superior to those of the Highlander.