RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help me resurrect this rx300

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 09:45 AM
djdiplomat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me resurrect this rx300

I'm helping a friend fix his RX after it sat 2 years. Car was throwing miss-fire codes once I first started on cyl 1,4,5. After replacing the coilpacks (aftermarket), the car does run much smoother (running on all 6) however it still sputters when I give it a little gas and now it is throwing codes P1300, 1305,1310,1315,1320, andP1325. I also tried to disconnect the injectors while it was running and you can hear a difference when disconnecting each one so I am assuming those are good. Check engine is flashing continuously (indicating missfire) but throwing the above codes rather then the missfire codes.

Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJVPRjLOl_g

Thanks for any help in advance
Old 10-08-10, 02:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

I'd run some fuel injector cleaner in there for one, deposits can just cake in there for a vehicle sitting that long. The spark plugs themselves might have a deposit issue as well. Generally, when a vehicle is continuously running as opposed to sitting like that, there are 'temporary' deposits (given age of vehicle, whether that's oil, coolant, garbage in the gas, etc.) that can normally be whisked away by simple internal combustion, but when time passes, those temporary deposits can cake on, just like bugs do on a bumper if you don't clean it off.

I assume obviously a new battery was installed, what kind was it?
Old 10-08-10, 02:47 PM
kidd1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is for all codes posted
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
A Direct Ignition System (DIS) has been adopted. The DIS improves the ignition timing accuracy, reduces high-voltage loss, and enhances the the overall reliability of the ignition system by eliminating the distributor. The DIS is a 1-cylinder ignition system which ignites one cylinder with one ignition coil. In the 1-cylinder ignition system, the one spark plug is connected to the end of the secondary winding. High voltage generated in the secondary winding is applied directly to the spark plug. The spark of the spark plug pass from the center electrode to the ground electrode.
The ECM determines ignition timing and outputs the ignition signals (IGT) for each cylinder. Based on IGT signals, the power transistors in the igniter cuts off the current to the primary coil in the ignition coil is supplied to the spark plug that are connected to the end of the secondary coil. At the same time, the igniter also sends an ignition confirmation signal (IGF) as a fail-safe measure to the ecm.

HINT:

* If DTC P1300 is displayed, check No.1 ignition coil with igniter circuit.
* If DTCs P1300, P1315 and P1325, are output simultaneously, IGF1 circuit may be open or short.
* Read freeze frame data using LEXUS hand-held tester or OBD II scan tool. Because freeze frame records the engine conditions when the malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting, it is useful for determining whether the vehicle was running or stopped, the engine was warmed up or not, the air-fuel ratio was lean or rich, etc. at the time of the malfunction.

© 2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Old 10-08-10, 02:49 PM
kidd1
Rookie

Old 10-08-10, 02:56 PM
kidd1
Rookie

sorry all data messed up the photos

Last edited by kidd1; 10-11-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 01:32 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.

I'd run some fuel injector cleaner in there for one, deposits can just cake in there for a vehicle sitting that long.
I agree with LM. Go get a bottle (12 oz.) of Chevron "Techron CONCENTRATE". If the injectors are sticky (I would expect them to be after sitting for 2 years) that stuff will clear them by the time you drive around the block! Some of the best stuff I've ever seen. I had a motorcycle many years ago (only about 1 1/2 years old) that sat without being run for about 8 mo. and when I went to run it again the carb's were so varnished up I had to take them off and clean 'em to get it to any more than just barely run. Couldn't believe how quickly the varnished.
Old 10-11-10, 06:17 PM
djdiplomat
Driver School Candidate

I actually got to opening up the timing belt cover and it looks like the timing is off since the cam sprockets are not lined up perfectly. I also noticed the tensioner failed so I am pretty sure that had something to do with it. I am doing the TB job this weekend and I am going to go from there. I changed the spark plugs before checking the TB and that did not do one thing. Funny thing is that I checked real time miss-fire data and there were 0 across the board. I also checked the new coilpacks ( for peace of mind) I got on a es300 and they were fine. I'll post an update once I finish the TB,if this does not resolve it I know what to troubleshoot next thanks to you.
Old 10-16-10, 07:01 PM
djdiplomat
Driver School Candidate

OK....WTF. Timing job done and still same problems. Things I verified/changed

- All coil packs new
- Crankshaft sensor changed
- Camshaft sensor changed
- Injectors all firing, check
- Coil packs all firing, check
- Voltage to coilpacks from ECU, check

What else am I missing....now its personal with this car. I am loosing sleep not being able to figure it out....any ideas? Check engine still flashing and getting P1300-P1325.
Old 10-17-10, 06:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

What kind of spark plugs did you use on the changeout and did you check the gaps on those plugs?
Old 10-17-10, 03:03 PM
djdiplomat
Driver School Candidate

After days of messing around with this, I finally fixed it. Turned out to be the dammed ignition coil. NEVER buy the Hamburg-technic POS coils. The resistance on the coils differ from the OEM coils causing the ECU to freak out.