RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 11:43 PM
lexkidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light

Okay, I am new to this so not really sure what to expect. Anyways I have a 1999 rx300 with 119k miles. Ive owned it for over 3 years and most of that time the check engine light has been on. It seems to just go on and off by itself. When we first got the car, we brought it to several mechanics and the lexus dealer, and some repairs were done, but the light never stayed off for more than a month. A few times it has even flashed on and off repeatedly. I am only 19, and I tell my parents when the light comes on and all the problems I have with the car and they never bring it to the mechanic or anything. They think I am making this stuff up, but I and definitely not. I am worried something major might be wrong with the car, but dont have the knowledge or money to figure it out. I record how many miles I have every time I get gas and calculate my MPG. I usually get around 11 or 12, 15 on completely highway. My dad says this is "normal" and blames me for the car running poorly, saying I am a bad driver who does nothing to maintain it. So, just looking for a little advice, what do you guys think?
Old 10-21-10, 04:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Even if the check engine light goes out, there is still a record in the system of the code that occurred...a simple OBD2 reader is the way to go in place of going to a dealer, mechanic or an auto store (the auto store will often scan your vehicle for free).

This is my current OBD 2 reader, http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...7661387&sr=8-1 and about the best bang for the buck you're going to get.

In this thread, I show where the location is for the OBD2 port, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-you-had.html

Once you have those codes, let us know what they are.
Old 10-21-10, 12:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with Lexmex, the first thing to do is get the codes read. I'd suggest going to AutoZone, as they check the codes for free. Once you get the codes, post them up here. It sounds like a A/F sensor, as your mpg's have really took a big hit, but we won't know till we see the codes.

I get 18mpg City, and about 23-24 sometimes even 25 on the highway, and that's pretty good for a full-time AWD system, mind you I don't drive like a grandma either, I go WOT at least 2x a week.
Old 10-21-10, 05:16 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

A flashing check engine light could be serious.

Your MPG seems low to me
Old 10-21-10, 10:21 PM
tonixgs300
Driver School Candidate

i agree with every one here get ur codes pulled and go on from there usually when the check engine light start flashin it means misfires witch means it could lead up to cat. burnd up. and in the end it cost more then it should of
Old 10-27-10, 07:28 PM
lexkidd
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I ordered the scanner from Amazon and will give you the codes once I get them
Old 11-01-10, 02:51 PM
lexkidd
Driver School Candidate

Okay I got the scanner and used it today. Here is what I got.

Fault: 05
Pend: 02

The fault ones:

P0300, P0302, P0304, P0306, P0171

and the two pending ones are: P0171 P and P1153 P

also, when I was driving the other day, I pulled out onto the road (speed limit around 50) and started accelerating. I got up to 30 and even when pressing the accellerator, the car would not go over 30 and was making funny noises, so I had to pull over into a parking lot. had a few of my friends in the car and they were kind of freaking out. this happened four days ago but car has been fine since then.
Old 11-01-10, 05:43 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

It looks as if the car is misfiring. I would take a look at the coils and spark plugs.
And, the P0171 looks as if it's a vacuum leak or possibly a sensor. Which would make sense, since your mpg's are so bad.
Old 11-03-10, 07:12 AM
jiciong
Driver School Candidate

I just get my 1st Generation Harrier/RX300 3.0 Four/AWD, just after done the servicing, timing belt and tensioner+bearing, Spark plugs, changing engine oil, ATF, brake fluid, filter. but the problem is coming out after done my service.

The car pop out yellow engine check light after i start moving my car for few seconds, when switch off engine and start again, the light disappear, but moving few seconds the light pop out again, I sent back to mechanical to have OBDII tested, showing code is P1346 VVT Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range Performance Problem (Bank 1). But after check and recheck, the marked and teeth on timing belt is correct in everything and replaced with Original parts. Even had did reset the CEL, but the next day CEL came on again when drive for few seconds. But car is going fine and smooth, juz the irritating CEL showing on there. Could be Camshaft Sensor or VVT sensor?? As i know, faulty Camshaft Sensor wont affect car performance. Any clues as to what could be causing the CEL stay activate whenever i start moving my car for few seconds? Anything I might have missed?

Secondly, after done servicing, my car more powerful than 1st day i received, but the problem is quite jerky for 1st and 2nd gear even 3rd, is this normal?? any expert may help??

thanks for the advice, Sir..
Old 11-03-10, 08:45 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jiciong
Secondly, after done servicing, my car more powerful than 1st day i received, but the problem is quite jerky for 1st and 2nd gear even 3rd, is this normal?? any expert may help??
Strange , my RX300 is experiencing similar symptoms. I got the timing-belt package done and the suv was driving fine for one week but yesterday it started with jerky shifting of gears between 1 - 2, 2 - 3, 3 - 4 , once in 4 it's fine. Then after few hours came the VSC and Engine light on. Regards to "VSC and eingine" light there is lots on the forum so I know about it but the problem with jerky shifts from gear to gear is really bothering me.
Could be it be the T-belt, but it was driving fine for a week ?
Old 11-03-10, 05:35 PM
jiciong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rx300mm
Strange , my RX300 is experiencing similar symptoms. I got the timing-belt package done and the suv was driving fine for one week but yesterday it started with jerky shifting of gears between 1 - 2, 2 - 3, 3 - 4 , once in 4 it's fine. Then after few hours came the VSC and Engine light on. Regards to "VSC and eingine" light there is lots on the forum so I know about it but the problem with jerky shifts from gear to gear is really bothering me.
Could be it be the T-belt, but it was driving fine for a week ?
But my car dont have VSC light on, just CEL only..
I dunno yet, coz my car just done 3 or 4 days, not yet a week.
If i accelerate softly, the shifting gear to gear is alright, not jerky shift..
If i accelerate half or more than that, then i can fell very obviously, this is my car symptoms.
Old 11-03-10, 08:22 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But my car dont have VSC light on, just CEL only..
I dunno yet, coz my car just done 3 or 4 days, not yet a week.
If i accelerate softly, the shifting gear to gear is alright, not jerky shift..
If i accelerate half or more than that, then i can fell very obviously, this is my car symptoms.
I just got a garage run computer tests and the reading was trouble code = P0770 which reads as a Shift Solenoid E Malfunction, tranny issues. I have to think out next steps.
In your case, have you checked the gas cap ? take it to a garage and do a computer test to check for trouble codes, maybe something that isnot that serious.
Old 11-08-10, 09:25 AM
jiciong
Driver School Candidate

I just back from changing The Camshaft Position Sensor, but the CEL (P1346) still come out after some few mile ride, what is the problem actually?? i really have no idea, already checked what supposed to check and change what supposed to change..
Old 11-08-10, 11:12 AM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

I just back from changing The Camshaft Position Sensor, but the CEL (P1346) still come out after some few mile ride, what is the problem actually?? i really have no idea, already checked what supposed to check and change what supposed to change..
The CEL based codes tell you where the problem is .. Although most of the times the problem is with the sensor itself and people blindly change the sensor ... but the problem needs troubleshooting. Check for disconnected connectors, damaged wires ,,, specially after the engine has been worked on.

Salim
Old 11-08-10, 04:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I don't know if the scanner you have has a freezeframe function. I've got laptop software that will show the readings at the point of error and that can pinpoint an issue.

Quick Reply: Check engine light