RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX 120k miles-Leaking Coolant not from Radiator Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 08:08 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2002 RX 120k miles-Leaking Coolant not from Radiator Please Help!

Hello RX family! I'm a pretty active member on the SC430 forums and have never posted on the RX side, but we've enjoyed two RX's (2001 and 2004).

My dad has a 2001 RX with 120k miles on it and a while back had a CEL serviced by local lexus dealer and they told them it was a hose and they fixed it. Later he noticed coolant leaking under the RX in the garage and brought it back to Lexus and they said that there was no leak in the radiator or hose but it "could possibly be" a main engine seal or head gasket.

About a month ago, he filled up all the way with antifreeze and just drove the truck five hours from KS to TX and it was 3/4th of the way to HOT on the thermostat and the coolant was very low-nothing in the over flow and the radiator took 3/4th of a bottle of antifreeze.

The leak spot appears to be at the front right side of the engine bay, coming from something in between the a/c compressor underneath the accessory belt-no where near the radiator really-although I cannot see where the below hoses go from the radiator to the engine block.

Do you all think this could be a main seal/gasket? If so, what's the damage $$$??? He is contemplating trading it in on a newer RX if this will be a $2k ordeal since the mileage is high and out of warranty. Any thoughts? Much thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-10, 08:17 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Could be the waterpump leaking, highly unusual though....I had a leak on the intake manifold between the head and manifold, required removing intake and replacing gasket
Old 10-24-10, 08:22 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Thanks...interesting. Is the waterpump located in that same area? As you are standing in front of the RX, the leak is on the left side right under the a/c compressor and accessory belt. Underneath, it's leaking in between that big pan and the open part of the radiator. No wet residuals or pink coolant is evident under or around the radiator.

Leak is definitely not coming from there. Just poured fresh coolant in yesterday and we have a big puddle already under the car and they have to drive home to KS today five hours away! YIKES!
Old 10-24-10, 08:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Try taking it to a mechanic, It's hard to spot a leak without us seeing it. The lexus dealer isn't going to fix the leak if he realizes it's in hard place and he won't make much money on the part only on labor. Some mechanics won't replace thermostats because there's not much money in it for them, not much commission for the part.

If it's leaking that much, stop driving it! Your going to blow the head gasket, adding cold coolant to an already heated engine. It's not good for the engine. Get it fixed, or don't drive it. And, certainly not five hours. lol

Last edited by hypervish; 10-24-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-24-10, 08:34 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be thinking rent car for the trip. It sounds like it's getting worse and to turn dad loose in a strand waiting to happen probably isn't a good idea. Any way you can get it handled for him locally?

Rent a car or spend your Sunday going after him.
Old 10-24-10, 08:40 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

I know...tried convincing him to take in on Sat and he didn't want to, now we are stuck on Sun. He has to work tomorrow and insists on going back today

Planning on taking back to local lexus dealer that serviced it a month ago tomorrow, but I'm concerned. $2k engine seal job is not good on a 120k mile car
Old 10-24-10, 08:50 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I know...tried convincing him to take in on Sat and he didn't want to, now we are stuck on Sun. He has to work tomorrow and insists on going back today

Planning on taking back to local lexus dealer that serviced it a month ago tomorrow, but I'm concerned. $2k engine seal job is not good on a 120k mile car
Who told you it's 2k? lol
If the takes the car and drives it 5 hours today, your basically saying good bye to the engine.
Old 10-24-10, 08:58 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Steven Lexus of Wichita said it "could be" head gasket or front/rear main engine seals that need to be replaced. I looked at parts for both...look like anywhere between $400-$600 and labor would be $1500+. I searched extensively yesterday between CL and other lexus enthusiast sites (not many examples though) and it looks like all cases were $2k or so. Smaller lexus markets are hyper expensive so I'm coaching him up for the worst case scenario at $2500. Hopefully it's the water pump starting to go not that...would be much less I would think.

You guys really think it's not safe to drive at all even with a full radiator of coolant? Too rapid of a leak? Do you think putting some prestone stop leak stuff in the radiator would help even if it's not coming from there?
Old 10-24-10, 09:20 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What scares me is the "big puddle" from yesterday while it was just sitting. 5 hours under high speed pressure will blow it out even faster. You guys know your situation better than we do but there are too many unknowns for me to turn my dad loose.

Maybe with a cargo area filled with gallons of coolant and refilling every half hour would get him home. It just depends on how fast it will leak out at speed. Maybe he could drive it for half an hour today before the trip to try to get a leak rate.
Old 10-24-10, 11:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The engine will sustain major damage from adding coolant every few miles to a hot engine. I've seen cases like this at my uncle's shop, when the customer didn't want to tow the vehicle and he wanted to drive it to the shop and fill the overflow and radiator every few miles. The engine destroyed itself, head gasket was blown. Trust me on that.
Old 10-24-10, 12:29 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Well, thanks all for your advice. If it was me, I would have taken it, but I showed my dad this forum and told him you all advised not to drive and he still took matter into his own hands!

Stubborn parents, you know? I begged him not to do it, but he had to get back today for work tomorrow.

I did send him off with plenty of rags to open the radiator and he bought some coolant and will drive 5 hours in 85 degree plus temperatures up to KS from TX today with a prayer and no a/c (talked him into turning off that at least!). Wish him luck!

I will update. he's been on the road for an hour. We'll see
Old 10-24-10, 01:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Well, thanks all for your advice. If it was me, I would have taken it, but I showed my dad this forum and told him you all advised not to drive and he still took matter into his own hands!

Stubborn parents, you know? I begged him not to do it, but he had to get back today for work tomorrow.

I did send him off with plenty of rags to open the radiator and he bought some coolant and will drive 5 hours in 85 degree plus temperatures up to KS from TX today with a prayer and no a/c (talked him into turning off that at least!). Wish him luck!

I will update. he's been on the road for an hour. We'll see
Good Luck! Remember if it's start to overheat, put the heater on full HEAT.
Old 10-24-10, 05:30 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I would have traded cars, and tried to get it fixed locally. The Coolent hose on top of the engine between the cylinder heads could also be the culprit, but suspect the waterpump... which is located under the timing belt cover on the side you indicated.
Old 10-24-10, 10:59 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have gotten my hands on a radiator pressure tester even if I would have had to buy one. Get it warmed up (doesn't sound like you would even have to do that) Run it when warm and pump up the pressure on it and I will GUARANTEE it will reveal itself. You won't have to WONDER where it's coming from. i sure hope they made it home safe. All aluminum engine is NOT the engine to overheat. Aluminum expands so much that it doesn't tolerate overheating at all like an all cast iron engine does.
Old 10-25-10, 07:55 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

May be a bit late ... but tell your parents there is a process to add coolant in a hot engine.

1. If the engine is still 50% or higher coolant left, I would only add distilled water as long as the weather is going to be above freezing. At repair time almost all will be drained .. so no point in adding anti=freeze. Tap water can be used too, but if jugs have to carried/transported, might as buy distilled water.

2. Most accidents/injuries happen when the radiator cap is removed. The coolant, which is under pressure and with temp above its boiling point, vaporizes and expands in volume violently. The steam and hot fluid causes injuries.

So one has to wait for the radiator to be cooled enough before opening the cap.

Once the cap is off safely, the engine should be started and cold coolant should be poured in slowly. The key is that the coolant should be in circulation. This prevents the surge of cold coolant from being thrown on top of a hot engine head.

Older parents are like young adults, who dont want to be told how to. Since they are not defendant on you they will act out as they please. You have a better chance if you explain things.

With an older Lexus, I would go to a radiator shop to diagnose simple problems and fixes.

[For op .. The RX has transverse engine so the water pump and the main seal are near the passenger side front wheel.

Salim

Quick Reply: 2002 RX 120k miles-Leaking Coolant not from Radiator Please Help!