RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How do you replace the Blower Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 07:05 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you replace the Blower Control Module?

My blower control module went out and I have located where it is. It is an extreme tight fit. I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one but it is just hanging for today. How do I get to that top screw? Do I remove the glove box? and if I do, are there instructions on how to do so? Model year is 1999. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-10, 09:43 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know about the blower control module but I do know about the glove box. It's really easy to get out. Comes out as an assembly, door and glove box together. If I remember correctly there are 2- 10 MM bolts and a couple of phillips screws, that should be easy to see. I think you should be able to "yank" on it and it will come out. It's not difficult at all.
Old 10-27-10, 07:55 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Don't know about the blower control module but I do know about the glove box. It's really easy to get out. Comes out as an assembly, door and glove box together. If I remember correctly there are 2- 10 MM bolts and a couple of phillips screws, that should be easy to see. I think you should be able to "yank" on it and it will come out. It's not difficult at all.
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have any pictures of this? I want to make sure I remove all required screws before I "yank".
Old 10-27-10, 10:01 AM
Barryst
Driver

The blower motor?
There is a plastic plate that you pull down, and then out, under the glove box. Then look up underneath, and there will be 3 gold colored screws, I think that you can use a 8mm or philips screwdriver to take them out. Unplug the wire connection, and the whole unit should just pull down. (Use a screwdriver to pry a little around it, it should come right out.)I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago... You don't have to take the glove box off.
Old 10-27-10, 01:36 PM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barryst
The blower motor?
There is a plastic plate that you pull down, and then out, under the glove box. Then look up underneath, and there will be 3 gold colored screws, I think that you can use a 8mm or philips screwdriver to take them out. Unplug the wire connection, and the whole unit should just pull down. (Use a screwdriver to pry a little around it, it should come right out.)I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago... You don't have to take the glove box off.
Will try this tonight and report back. Thanks. So the plastic piece it is mounted to needs to be removed and those are the 3 gold screws you are talking about?
Old 10-27-10, 02:02 PM
Barryst
Driver

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing??

Is it your blower motor you are refering to?

You say your blower control module went out. Did it not turn on? -Or make noise when on?

If its already hanging by the wires now, you only have to look where you unplugged it and you will see those screws. The motor drops out from the bottom.-
Old 10-27-10, 04:43 PM
Barryst
Driver

I just found this.

I guess there IS a blower control behind the glove box.

I have never had to deal with this yet.-

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Last edited by Barryst; 10-27-10 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Diagram will not show from Carson Toyota parts
Old 10-27-10, 05:29 PM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

no problem. and yes, it is the blower control module. the problem is is that it is really tight back there and hard to get to where the one screw that holds it.
Old 06-21-19, 11:46 PM
Toymaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryst
I just found this.

I guess there IS a blower control behind the glove box.

I have never had to deal with this yet.-

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

You my friend just calmed my heart and nerves. My chilton Manual said the blower motor control module/resistor is under the hood and to get to it half the ac unit has to be pulled out from under the hood!
I'm tackling this problem in the next few days. No heat/ac. No fan at all. Got a 42 code. Inlet servo motor but there was a mouse nest in the glove box down to the blower housing so I'm assuming the housing, blower etc are clogged. Gonna clean it all first then see if it works. If not...I start testing things..lol

Oh, have to replace rear sway bar bushings and the windshield washer pump as well. I really hate PA car inspections.
Old 06-22-19, 12:11 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

you revived a pretty old thread. Search would have found other threads and i remember pointing out the module location in a servo thread.

Salim
Old 06-22-19, 04:36 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I replaced mine several years ago and don't recall it being terribly difficult. The secret to long life for this module is to regularly change the cabin air filter.
Old 06-22-19, 12:06 PM
Toymaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm sorry. I was only thanking that user. I saw this on google while searching for everything related to the blower motor since I'm about to tackle that.
Old 06-22-19, 01:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

We appreciate that you searched and sharing the goodwill so no apologies needed.

Here is what I found for you
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-location.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-blowing.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ter-rx300.html

Hope the above helps.

Salim