RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New (frustrated) owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 01:11 PM
Sol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (frustrated) owner

About a month ago I bought a 2000 FWD RX300 with 75,000 miles. It was beautiful and shiny and I was like the guy in the car ad that couldn't stop looking out the window at it.

So what if the remote locking didn't seem to work on the front doors and it cost more than what I wanted to spend So what if, as I quickly noticed, it only about about 10-11mpg. It had pristine leather seats, a thumping sound system and it was like driving a cloud.

For the first couple of weeks. Then the check engine and trac off lights came on. It started idling rough and smelling of fuel and was sluggish to drive.

So I took it to the dealer who charged me a $150 diagnostic fee....$150 to put a plug in a socket and look up a code. Then they charged me $1,500 to replace 6 ignition coils and the spark plugs.

At this stage I was trying not to think about the 2004 RX I could have had instead for another $7,000. I thought at least now I've had the major repairs done, it should be running smoothly for a while.

It was running very smoothly for exactly 48 hours. Then, as I was scooting along the dual carriageway this morning, the oil light came on and the car started to make a funny rattling noise. Then it cut out completely. As in, while I was driving it at about 60mph I suddently found myself without any power, and hardly any steering or brakes. I managed to "park" it in a hedge without causing much damage (to the car....the hedge fared worse) and call the tow truck to take it back to the garage. That's $150 for the tow truck and another $150 diag-f*@&ing-nosis fee and now I'm waiting for them to call me with the cost of the repairs.

I'm so bummed out. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused the latest problem? More importantly, is this car a lemon? I'm starting to think I should cut my losses and get rid of it.

EDIT: sorry I should have said I live in the Cayman Islands, not Florida (the registration demanded I nominate a state so I went for the closest one). I bought the car privately.

Last edited by Sol; 11-03-10 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-03-10, 01:27 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your unusual difficulties. Did you buy the car from a dealer, individual, auction,... ?

I'd try staying far away from that dealer. It sounds like the dealer is still trying to pay for their luxurious palace at your expense. I know that independent Lexus mechanics don't seem to exist in South Florida. I don't know why. There are many up here in the Wash. DC area where I spend half the year.

Did you check the car's history before purchasing?
Old 11-03-10, 01:32 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. it could be the oil pump or worst, it is engine sludge. i wouldn't think that was timing belt issue or battery or alternator.
Old 11-03-10, 06:09 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Why not have a mechanic check out the condition (more than the look and feel). Code readers are around $30.00 and many places check it for free.

Salim
Old 11-03-10, 06:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

Buy a code reader ($30) to read the codes and pull the valve cover gasket to see if there's sludge all over the valvetrain.
Old 11-04-10, 06:52 AM
splacek007
Driver School Candidate

That's tough...the problem I've always found is the "uncertainty" of: (1) cost; and, (2) whether or not the problem is fixed or is going to be fixed. A trustworthy mechanic who know's Lexus is invaluable.
Old 11-04-10, 06:10 PM
Shoediva60
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I feel for you.Sounds like you got yourself a real lemon. I hope that you can get you problem solved without costing you tooo much money.
Old 11-04-10, 08:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoediva60
I feel for you.Sounds like you got yourself a real lemon. I hope that you can get you problem solved without costing you tooo much money.
x2, I would do some research on the Lemon Law if I were you, and try to file a complaint or something or another along those lines.
Old 11-05-10, 02:27 PM
Sol
Driver School Candidate

Update- the mechanic just called. The car has engine sludge and needs a new engine. Apparently there are pieces of aluminium in the oil pan and the center rod bearings are bent. Basically it's had it.

A new engine is apparently $14k, and even a used one is going to end up costing about what I paid for the car since I'll have to have it shipped out.

I'm thinking of just selling it for parts. That seems a shame though as it's pristine inside- new leather, premium sound system etc.

Anyway thanks for all the useful advice.
Old 11-05-10, 03:11 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus has some kind of extended warranty due to the sludging issue, you might contact them and see if they have any help for you.
Old 11-05-10, 05:11 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

The Lexus goodwill engine warranty for sludge was for 8 years. A "new" engine shouldn't cost anywhere near $14k. Maybe $4-5k.
Old 11-05-10, 11:47 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
The Lexus goodwill engine warranty for sludge was for 8 years. A "new" engine shouldn't cost anywhere near $14k. Maybe $4-5k.
When I've looked just for curiosity on the online discount T/L dealer sites I believe a NEW long block runs over $10k even here in the U.S. I don't believe T/L even sells "remanufactured" engines.
Old 11-08-10, 07:37 AM
Sol
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the info...very helpful people on these boards!

I'm about to start the process of finding a used engine for the car. I understand that mine had the 1MZ-FE, FWD engine with automatic transmission.

In terms of a replacement, do I need to get another one exactly the same? Does it have to be a 1MZ-FE from a 2000 Lexus RX300, or can it be a 1MZ-FE from another vehicle? Can it be one of the other engines used in the RX300? Would an engine from an RX330 fit?

Are Toyota Harrier and RX300 parts completely interchangeable?

Sorry for all the questions. Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 11-08-10, 09:18 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Tread that water carefully. When it comes to engine, I would suggest get for the same vehicle Yr/mode/FWD/AWD ... a single mount point difference can be an expensive learning lesson. From what I have come across here in CL, the FWD and AWD are not interchangeable (components are shared but bolts pattern is different).

Salim
Old 11-08-10, 11:10 AM
Sol
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim. Being a total noob about these things I think I will take your advice and get an exact replacement to avoid any further disasters.

Quick Reply: New (frustrated) owner