RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time to restore the wifes rx

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 07:30 PM
bri713
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to restore the wifes rx

My wife has a 2001 rx300 awd and would like it restored instead of buying a new one. This will save me some money and all she wants is for it to ride like it did when it was new. car has 101K on it.

I have searched the site but looking for the best possible setup. I like to do things right the 1st time.

I am not familial with her car like I am with my mine. She has always taken it to her mechanic for everything.

1. I plan on flushing all the fluids. Any recomondations on gear oil and trans fluid. Is it ok to run DOT 4 brake fluid?

2. Suspension needs to be addressed. I am a Koni fan but bilstein also make a good product. Do springs need to be changed or does everyone just use the factory spring.

3. Associated parts for suspension shuch as shock mounts, spring perches or hats.

4. I thought I might try and pick up some wheels to give it a different look.

5. Body needs a little attention. All 4 fenders have dents and PDR will not help. Paint will be needed.

6. Anything I am forgetting?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bri
Old 11-10-10, 09:19 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going through the same process myself. I have a 2001 RX with 75k. I began with a week long Leatherique treatment this summer. I know Lexus leather is coated but there is absorption, try spilling some black ink on it. The temperature needs to be 90 or better to apply the conditioner so August it was. I did three applications during the week and drove with a large garbage sack over the drivers seat.

Prior to the treatment, I had the bolsters on the driver's seat dyed. The rest of the interior was in excellent condition. The driver's seat is not factory fresh but it's quite nice for a middle aged car.

Mechanically, the car is excellent. I don't think I need to change my suspension at this point but if I did I would probably go with OEM parts. This is your wife's car, be careful about "sporting it up". I had all fluids changed at the 60k service.

I did get new wheels and tires. I got 18x7 chrome with 235/55/18 Yokohama tires. It feels more stable and still rides well. I also had the calipers painted because they looked pretty shabby through the new chrome wheels. I had put crossdrilled Brembo rotors on years ago and they are plated and still look nice.

I had a seats out detail done to freshen the interior and I'm pleased with that. I had the hazed headlights replaced with a product called Eagle Eyes as you can see in my sig. HIDs are also available aftermarket.

At this point, I am considering having the lower cladding repainted the body color as the two tone is dated and the bumpers could use a little attention anyway. The paint on the car is excellent. The only other thing I'm considering at this point is lowering the car an inch and a half with new springs, haven't decided on that yet.

Last edited by Carver; 11-10-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-11-10, 06:57 AM
bmwboyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carver
At this point, I am considering having the lower cladding repainted the body color as the two tone is dated and the bumpers could use a little attention anyway. The paint on the car is excellent. The only other thing I'm considering at this point is lowering the car an inch and a half with new springs, haven't decided on that yet.
I would be very cautious on painting the lower section. Do a really good photoshop before you consider it. I think it looks great on these trucks and I could see it making it look "cheap" if all one color. I'm not saying it will, but a good photoshop would save you the time and headache if you didn't like it, just delete, when painted, you don't have that option.
Old 11-11-10, 07:00 AM
bri713
Driver School Candidate

I have the leatherique sitting at home, but never found the time to do it. She has kept the interior very nice, but I know what it did for my other car and this will definetly help.

My wife wants to keep the same ride, so maybe I willl stay with OEM struts.

I will go with a black/chrome style wheel since her car is silver.

Thanks for the input

Bri
Old 11-11-10, 07:46 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwboyee
I would be very cautious on painting the lower section. Do a really good photoshop before you consider it. I think it looks great on these trucks and I could see it making it look "cheap" if all one color. I'm not saying it will, but a good photoshop would save you the time and headache if you didn't like it, just delete, when painted, you don't have that option.
Well, with white it isn't much of a stretch. The Coach Edition has been running around since '02 I think.

More pics here...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Old 11-11-10, 04:26 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

If your wife wants a factory new ride, use the OEM struts - defintely stay well clear of Bilsteins! You'll need to change pretty much everything on the strut except the springs (contrary to popular belief, springs rarely, if ever, need to be replaced) - strut mounts, bumpers, spring seats, swaybar bushings, etc, etc - anything rubber or plastic! Check all the other suspension bushings, knuckles and ball joints, also. The leaks can be expensive to repair so I'd proibably leave them unless they are getting bad.

If the bodyworky is beyond PDR and you need to get all four fenders painted, ask how much more it will be to paint the doors, hood and rear hatch (you can't see the roof, so you should be PK there) - they usually have to blend the fenders into the doors anyway.

And don't worry if the creases in the leather initially look worse after "Leatheriquing" it - they'll look great when the tratment dries properly.

Last edited by sktn77a; 11-11-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-11-10, 04:30 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Whatever you do, do not use anything other than OE strut mounts.
Old 11-12-10, 04:10 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

This may seem trivial, but if your wife's "D" light is out, replace it.

I just did mine a month ago (after it had been out for a few years)... I'm not mechanically inclined, and it did take me longer than I had hoped, but having that light be on seems to make a huge difference in the appearance of the dash.
Old 11-12-10, 08:17 AM
bri713
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
If your wife wants a factory new ride, use the OEM struts - defintely stay well clear of Bilsteins! You'll need to change pretty much everything on the strut except the springs (contrary to popular belief, springs rarely, if ever, need to be replaced) - strut mounts, bumpers, spring seats, swaybar bushings, etc, etc - anything rubber or plastic! Check all the other suspension bushings, knuckles and ball joints, also. The leaks can be expensive to repair so I'd proibably leave them unless they are getting bad.

If the bodyworky is beyond PDR and you need to get all four fenders painted, ask how much more it will be to paint the doors, hood and rear hatch (you can't see the roof, so you should be PK there) - they usually have to blend the fenders into the doors anyway.

And don't worry if the creases in the leather initially look worse after "Leatheriquing" it - they'll look great when the tratment dries properly.
Thank you for this info. I will stay with OEM struts. Ball joints were replaced last year IIRC, but no bushings were touched that I know of.

I was figuring on having it repainted since she managed to get all 4 corners of the car.

Time to start acquiring parts for this. Where is the best place to pick up parts from other than the dealer?
Old 11-12-10, 09:48 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

Best bet is Sewell Lexus or LexusPartsWorld.com (Lexus of Roseville). If you use the latter, call LPW direct (not the Lexus of Roseville parts department - they'll charge you full price).