RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Some Pics of my 99 RX AWD.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 04:46 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Pics of my 99 RX AWD.

Well they aren't that great cause it was raining and at night.. but i managed to get a couple shots of my RX i recently bought and am driving for my daily driver...... Gonna start to try and figure out the video system thats installed, and look at getting the back up camera thats installed working again.... couple small things here and there.. but all in all a good ride.. with a good service history, clean carproof report, and timing belt done by toyota dealer the day i purchased it (from the dealer mechanic private sale)...

Anyway.. more pictures less type...

Rims in the springtime will be a must... 20" chrome or blacked.. i havent decided.... i kinda am leaning towards blacked rim, blacked grill, blacked tint, black running boards... and maybe even blacked paint on the bottom since it needs to be done anyway.... but fear it could look retarded..

Cheers
Old 11-16-10, 05:38 PM
asantis92
Driver School Candidate

im liking that ride man! everything you did is like what I want to do! esp that sub how much was that to get/install?
Old 11-17-10, 04:55 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Everything in this car was installed well before i bought it.... the first owner has it all professionally installed.... i assume it was pretty high end gear at one point cause that sony dvd changer retailed over $1000 alone... and the install is pretty involved....

Id like to get a third screen installed in the front.. or on the center console between the front seats for the back up camera video.... but i have yet to get at the main brain of the video.. or find where the wires from the back up camera go..
Old 11-17-10, 04:38 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been wanting headrest monitors myself...hopefully you get them figured out.
Old 11-17-10, 07:26 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Oh no... everything works fine now... both monitors work etc.... i just want to get the back up camera working... and maybe expand the system a bit... gonna take out the infinity..and put in my alpine sub box in the spring i think..
Old 12-05-10, 05:51 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Well Ive started to do a bit of research and work on the A/V side of my RX... as well i ordered the TPS sensor off ebay which should be in next week to install and hopefully sort out one of my engine codes....

As for the Monitors... I attacked the main console to remove the 3in 3out a/v switcher or selector to figure out what was going on....Thru Trial and Error, I managed to locate the two rear monitor outs..and the 10 disc dvd in... realizing there was only two monitors.. it seems that the person had the back up camera installed to a front monitor of some sort..because they didnt remove the wiring.... Also i found a rear a/v in for game system etc which now is selectable on the driver side monitor... since there was only one wired remote for this selector, i can only have one monitor selectable while the others will be stuck on the dvd changer...

Instead of running an AUX IN hack.. I took an easier route, i removed the dvd changer audio from the RF inline modulator (dvd now strictly thru the headphones from monitors.... and added my iphone video dock into the rx... so i can use the cable for audio like an aux, or attach to dock for videos thru rear monitors now... Also which seems to work great is the tom tom iphone gps app displays great on my 42" tv.. .so i assume it will look good on the monitors... just need a way to seemlessly add the small white dock, at the same time being able to still use the functions... bought dockless cable on ebay which will work better in future....

It looks like i will invest in a 4in/4out selector when i start the upgrade of the system. as i want to have four inputs
1) 10disc dvd changer
2) Game Port/Iphone video
3) Head Unit DVD/AVI etc
4) Back up Camera

And four outputs...
1) Driver headrest
2) Pass headrest
3) HeadUnit motorized 7" LCD
4) Rearview Mirror Backup LCD ( havent decided if little 3.5" monitor to side of mirror is better then 7-10" overtop the mirror and i assume i dont have a rearview mirror anymore.

Anyone has any input or suggestions im wide open.... ill be doing the majority of this install myself... so ill be piecing it together overtime...

Cheers
Old 12-05-10, 08:43 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont think black paint on the bottom would look good. maybe you can photoshop it before you spend the money. have you thought about painting you rx monotone?
Old 12-05-10, 10:48 AM
Leines
Pole Position

I have considered it all gold... i also kinda thought harder about the black bottom and im not sure id like that... i think it was mostly the idea of black wheels that made me think about that.. but now im not sold on the idea at all...

mostly gonna concentrate on the A/V stuff..then the cosmetic stuff afterwards..

Cheers
Old 12-05-10, 10:31 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is all tan...just like the coach editions. you should just go all black....the only thing that sucks is the reflective glass dosent look so sharp on black. Its okay on white and tan RXs but it annoys me to the point where im looking to trade in for a 330 or 350.
Old 12-06-10, 06:03 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Is there anyway to remove that shiny tint...or is it built into the glass... i wondered that.. cause id sure like to get all black tint this spring..
Old 12-06-10, 11:57 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope its in the glass, someone once said they could scratch it off but everywhere else ive seen has shown that its in the actual glass and not a film. I did mirror tint all around making the rears darker and the fronts match the rears (still reflective). Like i said that looks like crap on black cars IMO. I know the harriers didnt come with this tint, i wish i could get my hands on glass from a harrier and swap it all out, however that would probably be hard and more expensive then me just selling my car and buying a newer generation RX.
Old 12-06-10, 06:44 PM
Leines
Pole Position

yea i was always under the impression it was part of the glass... i forgot to mention i took out the infinity all in one sub box.. and put in my Alpine 12" sub in ported box... with my alpine mono block amp thats matched... big bass increase in the car now... I priced out the dash install kit and its basically $150 shipped to canada.... ill have to piece this system together.. so im trying to decide what should be the next item......

Im thinking ill get the reverse camera and rearview mirror setup on ebay.....which i can run into my system and it work right away.. while i stash away cash for the install kit, and single din motorized 7" LCD with bluetooth and GPS...