RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Where to put head unit in RX300 (keeping stock center console)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 02:20 PM
allanbw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Where to put head unit in RX300 (keeping stock center console)

So here is my plan for an after market system in my 2000 RX300...

I will keep all of the factory pioneer system hooked up, including the center console, except.. I will disconnect and remove the front 6.5 door speakers.

I will set up and new stereo with a head unit, 2 front 6.5 components, mounting the tweater just under the window/door control, and 1 10" subwoofer in the back.

Here is my issue, where can I put the head unit? I do not think it will fit in the glove box. I was thinking of finding some way to brace it under the shifter on the floor, as there is plenty of room down there.

Has anyone mounted a head unit under the dash/steering wheel area?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-10, 02:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

There is someone on youtube who has done this, he mounted a stereo right where the heated seat controls are and then the screen comes out and goes up (Motorized). Let me try and find the video.

Update: I found the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBb4p...eature=related
Old 11-21-10, 02:35 PM
allanbw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I will consider mounting a 1 DIN head unit in that spot as well since my RX does not have seat heaters nor traction controll.

I just have to find out what bracket/adapter he put in there, and if it will fit a standard head unit.
Old 11-21-10, 02:47 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installer.com has aftermarket mounting adapters, maybe this one will help?

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...hp?it=AOK-01FB

Here's everything else you could want, wiring harnesses, etc.:

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6539

Hope this helps,
TC
Old 11-23-10, 11:14 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mount it there, the screen can't come out if it is in "Park".
Old 11-24-10, 12:23 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What features do you actually want DVD, Mp3? The headrests,visors,and roof mount dvd players are available with FM modulators to tune into the stereo.
You could get a half din DVD mp3 player and put next to the seat wire that in without modulator. Or custom build a lower console out of fiberglass to hold a double din between gears and draw and floor. Or use the face plate if use able mentioned above. I am in process of the debate of what i want. I have rear head rest dvd nothing up front but sound is fm modulated which does the trick but i am assuming you also want more bass etc.

If planning on using new speakers in door what is too stop you also wiring factory deck to those speakers providing they both are not on same time it should be functional without problems.

Last edited by Australian; 11-24-10 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-24-10, 03:41 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Im wondering if this is the only option for an aftermarket headunit... I know you cant remove the stock one because it controls everything... I do have heated seats....

Would it be easier to relocate the heated seats buttons to the sides or below, and use the above adapter, or is there another option??

Ive considered a rooftop unit, but im unsure thats the answer for me.... I currently use the stock 6 disc for cds, and i have a sony 10disc dvd mounted in the spare wheel compartment that runs the video in the headrest lcds.... the sound is FM transmitted, thru the stock unit.... In a perfect world id like to add a LCD up front to use for backup camera, as well as a media player unit with usb or hdd for playing videos etc to the back seats..... It might be very difficult.. but id like the 10 disc to use when my daughter is in the back, and the video from the head unit to appear when she isnt in the car..... two video sources and being able to select between the two for all monitors basically is what im after if thats even possible...

Cheers