RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 02:54 PM
genijet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 acceleration problems

I just had an accident in a Walmart parking lot becasue as I was easing into my handicapped space, it suddenly accelerated and I steered it through the access lane between two parked cars, swiping them each and damaging my front end. Fortunately no one was hurt and I could brake a few seconds later.
Has anyone else had this experience? And will it occur again after it is fixed?
Old 11-27-10, 06:50 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

The only problem that I had heard about was an issue with floor mat and that should have been addressed.

Is your vehicle equipped with special controls?

Since it is recent/fresh ,,, can you talk about the brakes? Did the pedal sink?

Glad no one got hurt.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-27-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-27-10, 10:09 PM
tim87114
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, this type of thing shouldn't happen in the case of the RX300 unless there was a machanical failure of the throttle assembly/cruise control. The RX300 uses a standard accelerator pedal "good old fashion cable type".
There is the "floormat" discussion. But the reality is, that vehicle using "drive by wire" or electronic gas pedals can have issues with surging and such.
Jeep vehicles, Hondas, and toyota products have several complaints of this type of issue. The RX300 does not have this technology.

But again, I agree with the above poster that there would have to be some other sort of issue that if you could talk to in more detail would allow a full understanding.

1. Is your vehicle modified in anyway for accessibility, or is it a standard configuration?
2. Can you confirm if your cruise control was set to "on", meaing the power to it was on.

technically the Cruise will not "function" unless you are at 25mph or more. Meaning the "resume" feature shouldn't work. But I would wonder, if what you are saying is accurate and your RX300 "ran away", if there was a malfunction in the cruise control system. Just a thought.
Old 11-28-10, 05:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Check the flexion and condition on the accelerator cable.

On my RX300, I have a longer aftermarket pedal and I had to modify the rug so the pedal wouldn't be stuck, but on a normal unmodified RX300, the pedal should not have any issue with the carpeting.
Old 11-28-10, 10:10 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by tim87114
First off, this type of thing shouldn't happen in the case of the RX300 unless there was a machanical failure of the throttle assembly/cruise control. The RX300 uses a standard accelerator pedal "good old fashion cable type".
There is the "floormat" discussion. But the reality is, that vehicle using "drive by wire" or electronic gas pedals can have issues with surging and such.
Jeep vehicles, Hondas, and toyota products have several complaints of this type of issue. The RX300 does not have this technology.

But again, I agree with the above poster that there would have to be some other sort of issue that if you could talk to in more detail would allow a full understanding.

1. Is your vehicle modified in anyway for accessibility, or is it a standard configuration?
2. Can you confirm if your cruise control was set to "on", meaing the power to it was on.

technically the Cruise will not "function" unless you are at 25mph or more. Meaning the "resume" feature shouldn't work. But I would wonder, if what you are saying is accurate and your RX300 "ran away", if there was a malfunction in the cruise control system. Just a thought.
Accusations are out there, but no evidence pointing to a failure has been uncovered in drive by wire system. We had a long discussion in 330 forum.

Salim