RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 11:49 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow Fender Flares

I found these pics while scanning Car Domain ....this guy installed highlander fender flares on his RX. Anyone know of any other fender flare options?
Please post up pics, and if possible, the brand.
(oh....try to ignore the hood in photo 3)

Old 12-06-10, 12:35 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This one looks good if it is a bolt on kit.
I have become a bit of a expert now when it comes to fender flares i spent a long time researching these and know what is available that bolts on and what i can tell you that if that if something isn't made for the car then it will not fit without modification to the flare or the car. Everyone will want a bolt on kit not molded if it is needed. If you want to mold in your flares be prepared for a lot of work and i mean a lot. Now lets say we have a set of highlander flares with the rubber grommet hold it up along side of the car and what it doesn't fit but i bought highlander what year again. This would be the reaction. What does it take to fit these well i will say a lot of patience a dremel kit and palm sander and a lot of bondo on the flare itself before it wan be fitted against the car then primed and painted. I have made custom flares for another car when nothing was available to fit and spent 100's of hours to get them right they were completely molded.
It will still take a long time to even modify a bolt on flare for another car to fit. Unless someone has done the work and made it in kit form this will be no easy task so do not delude yourselves.

Before you actually flare the guards does a 9.5 inch wheel with 285 tires even stick out enough to even warrant flared guards? Does it sit under the guard? I am wondering how fat do you really want to go as the 19" wheels in the picture below should actually bolt on as same stud pattern and fit a Rx300. I have seen 8.5's with 245's and seemed to have plenty of room so i do not see why a 9.5 with 285's wouldn't fit. If you want to go wider than 285's good luck trying to get tires as nobody is going to make affordable tires wider with a profile less than 30mm so the wheels will buckle like that in a second on an RX.

The pic below is not a lexus but some custom molded flares i made:
Click to see it is not displayed on purpose as not lexus and has no real place in thread other than for my own credibility on the subject.
http://www.wedriveexcitement.com/slides/Image0304.jpg

Last edited by Australian; 12-06-10 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-06-10, 12:23 PM
MVLEX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the paint job on it and also look at the fog/driving lights on the bumper and #3 pic..........sweeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 12-07-10, 02:38 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I just noticed the custom bar on pic #3 more modern look i am really seeing my car as dated. I want to add perhaps bull bar to cover up the front end to hide it.