RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Driver side door lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 11:07 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver side door lock not working

My mom's 2000 RX power door lock stop working. All the door locks work fine, and also lock/unlock with the remote keyless, EXCEPT for the power door lock, as it will not lock/unlock unless I do it manually or with the key. My guess is that the actuator is bad.
Old 12-09-10, 12:14 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I imagine you're probably right. Did it just stop all at once or did it kind of gradually fail? Is this the drivers door, as I don't believe you identify the particular lock? There is a ton written on this forum and another Lexus forum about this failure and different types of repair. Some quite current even. Depends on what the financial situation is, and level of mechanical ability which way you go with repair. Come back with a little more in the way of details, and we'll try and direct you.
Old 12-09-10, 10:31 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by code58
I imagine you're probably right. Did it just stop all at once or did it kind of gradually fail? Is this the drivers door, as I don't believe you identify the particular lock? There is a ton written on this forum and another Lexus forum about this failure and different types of repair. Some quite current even. Depends on what the financial situation is, and level of mechanical ability which way you go with repair. Come back with a little more in the way of details, and we'll try and direct you.
Driver's door lock. The left rear door lock actuator also failed before and was subsequently fixed (by a Lexus dealer). If this helps, though unrelated, the driver window control module (for all windows) was also replaced last year as well.
Old 12-09-10, 08:12 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
Driver's door lock. The left rear door lock actuator also failed before and was subsequently fixed (by a Lexus dealer). If this helps, though unrelated, the driver window control module (for all windows) was also replaced last year as well.

If you have mechanical abilities there are places online that you can buy the actuators for about $220. If you are fearless, you can open the actuator up and replace the little motor inside but it's not a real simple job. Or you can do the "piggyback" method by installing an aftermarket lock on with the existing lock to do the work it's no longer able to. Depends on a number of the answers to the questions.
Old 12-11-10, 09:01 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

One bit of detail that can influence your choice ..

Getting the lock actuator out is not trivial (not impossible) but expect some difficulty. Piggy back solution is lot easier in amount of effort and there are only two critical steps .. how the rod attaches to the exiting lock and how you attach the the new mechanism to the door.

My vote ... piggy back.

Salim
Old 12-11-10, 11:54 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
One bit of detail that can influence your choice ..

Getting the lock actuator out is not trivial (not impossible) but expect some difficulty. Piggy back solution is lot easier in amount of effort and there are only two critical steps .. how the rod attaches to the exiting lock and how you attach the the new mechanism to the door.

My vote ... piggy back.

Salim
Salim- Did we swing you over to the "dark side" ? It's not really so bad over here.

Last edited by code58; 12-11-10 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 12:23 AM
salimshah

I still think the OEM lock solution is superior ... if things go wrong the other lock release does not interfere ... so person can always exit.

After working on my son's SC door lock actuator, I can say ... the piggy back fix is lot easier and when some one asks the question, i simply share my experience. My advice is worth the money they pay me.

Salim
Old 12-12-10, 11:14 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I still think the OEM lock solution is superior ... if things go wrong the other lock release does not interfere ... so person can always exit.

After working on my son's SC door lock actuator, I can say ... the piggy back fix is lot easier and when some one asks the question, i simply share my experience. My advice is worth the money they pay me.

Salim
Just a little attempt at humor Salim. I have to agree, the $1300. they wanted for 4 locks was what convinced me that I had to go a different way.
I'm a firm believer in the value of laughter. I think the people that laugh often live longer because of it. I have often said "Learn to laugh at yourself, if you don't somebody will do it for you". I have no problem with people laughing at my expense, often gives me a good laugh too. I don't laugh at guys bigger than me very often though.... unless I think I can outrun 'em.
Old 12-15-10, 09:40 AM
Cintea3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

Own a RX 300, 2001, Drivers Door lock doesn't work any more with the remote. Could you tell me the part number to order. Its sounds like I need a lock actuator. Any other thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-15-10, 01:04 PM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Cintea3
Own a RX 300, 2001, Drivers Door lock doesn't work any more with the remote. Could you tell me the part number to order. Its sounds like I need a lock actuator. Any other thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
There's a lot of info on this site covering this topic (many options), just do a search. I just started one of these threads a few weeks ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placeable.html
Old 03-25-11, 09:09 PM
kasak
Rookie

Have 03 RX 300 AWD. Driver's side lock won't lock or unlock with the remote. Will lock and unlock when done manually with the key or with the control panel buttons on the door itself. Reading some of these posts.. many say it is a $400 dealership cost?
Old 03-25-11, 10:49 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by kasak
Have 03 RX 300 AWD. Driver's side lock won't lock or unlock with the remote. Will lock and unlock when done manually with the key or with the control panel buttons on the door itself. Reading some of these posts.. many say it is a $400 dealership cost?
Ask the dealer for exact cost.

There is enough information here to buy the part from dealer and do it yourself or ask a mechanic to do it for you.

Cheapest alternative is the piggy back solution posted here.

Salim
Old 03-28-11, 12:42 AM
McCloud
Driver School Candidate

This past week I followed the instructions for replacing the little motors in both my front doors. Sorry guys. I come from the OEM side from my days with Bosch. I just couldn't cross over to the 'dark side' with the After Market actuators although I bet they last longer than the OEM motors! LOL!

Besides, the trade off in dificulty was between splicing my wire harness or cutting open a small plastic box. I picked the box. I used a sharp razor knife down the seam while holding it in a vise snugly but not too tight. It was just too easy. All I could think of was 'What a piece of crap! Toyota bought off on this?" No problem in putting them back together too. There are two screws that will do the trick already in place but I used electrical tape too just to make sure. Each door took about an hour. Now they work like new! Easy Breezy! The motors only set me back $8. At that price I'll keep them in my garage just in case.

Thanks guys! Code58 and Salimshah...you're both great!
Old 03-28-11, 01:15 AM
salimshah

Glad it worked out and thank you for confirming that mabuchi motor is a drop in.

If you can. please do a writeup in DIY section. How hard was it to get the lock mechanism out? The rods and the clips ... were they easy to work?

And thank you, for your kind remarks. There are so many members here who make this Forum useful to others.

Salim
Old 03-31-11, 08:59 PM
richonline
Rookie

McCloud, can you point me to the 'the instructions for replacing the little motors?' Thanks a lot.

Richonline

[QUOTE=McCloud;6260699]This past week I followed the instructions for replacing the little motors in both my front doors. Sorry guys. I come from the OEM side from my days with Bosch. I just couldn't cross over to the 'dark side' with the After Market actuators although I bet they last longer than the OEM motors! LOL!

Quick Reply: Driver side door lock not working