RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear hatch lock wont open

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 02:52 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch lock wont open

I worked fine two days ago.. but its been cold here lately..and now my back hatch wont open... sure sounds like its unlocking.. but it doesnt open.... anyone had a similar problem with the rear hatch... maybe its something easy to fix???

Cheers
Old 12-09-10, 03:10 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Early RX models had a flaw in the rear hatch locking mechanism.

Since you did not uncover it earlier, it very well could be some other issue .. like frozen mechanism (wait for warm day) or some object jammed in the catch.

Salim
Old 12-09-10, 08:27 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leines
I worked fine two days ago.. but its been cold here lately..and now my back hatch wont open... sure sounds like its unlocking.. but it doesnt open.... anyone had a similar problem with the rear hatch... maybe its something easy to fix???

Cheers
I agree with Salim. I was born and raised in cold country and door rubbers can definitely freeze tight. And it could also be something in the lock, like a piece of twine. Haven't brought you Christmas tree home yet have you? It's most likely frozen, ESPECIALLY in Canada!
Old 12-10-10, 07:23 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Well it was well above freezing today...and now that i think about it... it was working before when it was below freezing... when i click the unlock on my keyless.. it sounds like its unlocking inside the rear hatch.. but when i press on the button to open the hatch.. it goes in.. but doesnt release the latch..... Mine is a 99 model rx so i assume it was and early model... also the guy i purchased the car from mentioned he had worked on the rear hatch as it was sticking....

What was the problem with them... maybe its something i can fix myself..

Cheers.
Old 12-11-10, 06:35 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leines
Well it was well above freezing today...and now that i think about it... it was working before when it was below freezing... when i click the unlock on my keyless.. it sounds like its unlocking inside the rear hatch.. but when i press on the button to open the hatch.. it goes in.. but doesnt release the latch..... Mine is a 99 model rx so i assume it was and early model... also the guy i purchased the car from mentioned he had worked on the rear hatch as it was sticking....

What was the problem with them... maybe its something i can fix myself..

Cheers.
Using the excellent search tool here at ClubLexus reveals the following threads which describe how to get at the mechanism:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ear-hatch.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tch-stuck.html
Old 12-12-10, 09:12 AM
cdduqu
Driver School Candidate

i have had similiar issue for many years-cold/warm. In my case, the handle in the tailgate gets stuck in a closed position when you squeeze it to open and lift it. you then close the latch and lock it with the remote, the handle stays in the same open position and wont open again despite hearing clicks. to fix, manualy push the handle back to original position (un squeezed) and then click the remote to unlock. it should then release the latch.