RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Now She wont start..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 09:46 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now She wont start..

I love this SUV so im not gonna get down on her... but today she wont start.... I know i have a evap code that i need to sort out shortly... and i have a TPS code.. i have a new oem toyota bagged TPS here..so im hoping thats the issue with the starting...

It started fine yesterday... today..she sounds like she wants to go... lots of power and sounds like spark... but seems like a fuel issue.... then i decided to give her a pump of the ol pedal while trying to start... i can get her to start that way..and i can keep her running as long as my foot is down... but if i take my foot off the gas.. she dies... i can even keep my foot soo slightly on the pedal..the rpms will stay at 500-750 area...

Please tell me that this is the TPS.. it seems logical... i just hope im not into another ball of wax here...as i need my car for my job which is basically driving all day long... yikes...

Thanks again CL..... You guys are really helping me take a lot of the scare outta owning a suv people trashed all day long to me.... i love it soo much.. i just want us to get along nicely... and ill be good to her...

Cheers
Old 12-12-10, 09:55 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,110 Likes on 997 Posts

Search on IACV (idle control valve) ... Could be a simple cleaning issue. Just be careful how you tackle the soft phillips head screws .. Use gentle hammer blow through a phillips screw driver seated in the head.

Salim
Old 12-12-10, 11:04 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree witht the IACV cleaning first. The fact you can get it to start by pushing the pedal (means it's not a fuel issue) is more than likely because you're opening the throttle plates and letting air in.

It could still be the TPS since you got a code. I would do the IACV clean first.

BTW, always order your parts from RockAuto.com. I recently thought I had a bad IACV and ordered one from them at a great price. Turns out it wan't the IACV and I didn't use/need the part afterall. Returned to RockAuto under their no questions asked return policy. Only out the cost of shipping. Great customer service.
Old 12-12-10, 11:51 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Thanks guys... Ill take a look at that thread.. but since i dont have a shop to pull into and its snowing like crazy for the next couple days.. ill more then likely need to take it somewhere to get them to fix it... they are calling for 1.5ft of snow between this morning and tomorrow morning...and its been easy a foot already and its only 3pm... apparently it will be a couple days before it was done...

On a side note while i have your attention...
I have the evap codes.. i believe 441 446, im going to check the air hose on the back of the airbox as ive read thats a common place... but i also have noticed that my gascap is very hard to turn when i go to refill the car... sometimes i need to turn the way that just clicks then turn back to get it off... i also noticed there was some sort of clear lube or something around the gas cap..... is this a sign of something to do with the evap error as well maybe???

Just thought it was worth mentioning since i read somewhere else that gascaps throw evap codes as well...

Cheers
Old 12-12-10, 11:02 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

.. i also noticed there was some sort of clear lube or something around the gas cap..... is this a sign of something to do with the evap error as well maybe???
Is there a chance someone used Vasoline to lube the rubber, and if so, who?
Old 12-13-10, 05:11 AM
Leines
Pole Position

It looks very similar.... and id assume it was the previous owner whom did it... its looking more and more like he tried to find the error and gave up.... he told me its the rear VSV sensor... but i cant even seem to find that part listed... and the codes dont say sensor..they are vac leak codes i guess...
Old 12-14-10, 01:52 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Just heard back from the shop... he installed the TPS sensor... didnt effect the not starting part... he said he started to clean the IACV while it was on the throttle body because the screws looked soft to remove it.... but what cleaning he did.. didnt seem to allow the car to start.... he said he would clean the IACV a bit better this afternoon and let me know whats up.... Im starting to get a bit worried... the car started fine friday all day.... yet on sunday it wont start.... i assume even a small amount of cleaning on the IACV would remove enough to allow it to start again... but it doesnt seem to be the case..... yet it will still turn over if you apply a bit of pressure to the gas pedal....

Any other suggestions... im hoping the second round of cleaning the IACV will fix it but maybe their is another thing i should be getting him to look at??

Cheers
Old 12-14-10, 04:30 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

In order to clean the IACV while on the throttle body, you have to remove the IACV motor so you can rotate the valve plenum with your fingers. Without removing the motor it will stay shut and not allow the cleaning fluid to escape. Not effective. There are plenty of write ups here showing how to do this, might want to print one out and show it to your mechanic.
Old 12-14-10, 05:19 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Ive checked the threads..and read the write up... i just kinda feel like a **** bringing it to him... i guess if he hasnt figured it out by tomorrow ill ask him if he wants me to bring in the write up.... Im thinking he might just tackle removing the iacv from the throttle body to clean it... but not sure.. still havent heard from him this afternoon....this is the first time he has worked on my lexus... so we will see... he has worked on my mothers toyota rav4 many times tho...
Old 12-14-10, 07:08 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but there is no need to actually remove the IACV from the throttle body to clean it. While it might be nice to do, it's more labor intensive and obviously more costly when you're paying someone else. All one has to do is remove the IACV motor. It's two philips head screws and that's it.
Old 12-15-10, 06:01 PM
Leines
Pole Position

I got the lexus back.... He cleaned the IACV and installed the TPS... engine code for TPS seems to have disappeared..and the car starts and idles great again..... ended up costing me $200 with an oil change for everything... so it wasnt too bad at the end of everything...

Now to start chasing down these 0441 0446 evap codes..... i think ill start with a new gas cap..... since i checked the hose on the airbox and it doesnt seem to be disconnected..

Cheers