RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Couple Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-10, 01:43 PM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Newbie Questions

The Button that says PWR/ECT/SNOW... i notice it rockers to three selections.. but only one makes the light appear... i assume this is Electronically Control Traction.... But just wanna make sure.... does this effect gas milage?

Also what exactly is the Overdrive do... Ive also drove with it on... until the other day i accidently pressed it to off and the light came on the dash... not exactly sure what overdrive does...and if i should be using it....

my last question involves the 12v cigarette lighter.. I have a few things id like to run off this cigarette lighter and id even maybe like to run them hardwired... mostly ipod adapter, and adapter for nintendo wii.. how exactly is the best way to go about finding a key turn 12v power..and also hard wiring the 2-3 car adapters while hopefully still maintaining the cigarette light for the occasional weird thing...

Thanks in advance for any help..

Cheers
Old 12-21-10, 02:32 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leines
The Button that says PWR/ECT/SNOW... i notice it rockers to three selections.. but only one makes the light appear... i assume this is Electronically Control Traction.... But just wanna make sure.... does this effect gas milage?

Also what exactly is the Overdrive do... Ive also drove with it on... until the other day i accidently pressed it to off and the light came on the dash... not exactly sure what overdrive does...and if i should be using it....

my last question involves the 12v cigarette lighter.. I have a few things id like to run off this cigarette lighter and id even maybe like to run them hardwired... mostly ipod adapter, and adapter for nintendo wii.. how exactly is the best way to go about finding a key turn 12v power..and also hard wiring the 2-3 car adapters while hopefully still maintaining the cigarette light for the occasional weird thing...

Thanks in advance for any help..

Cheers
Tranny button:
ECT stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission
Center mode is normal driving (best MPG)
PWR is sort of the SPORT mode (faster shifts, higher shift points, which will lower your MPG)
SNOW will start you in 2nd gear to reduce wheel spin in snow/ice conditions

Overdrive button:
Turning off the overdrive button keeps the tranny from shifting into 4th gear (this is mainly useful when towing, especially up hills).

Lighter power:
You can tap into the power on the back side of the lighter socket, but if you pull too much power you risk blowing the fuse. (IIRC it has a dedicated 15amp fuse, which is a fair amount of power for low voltage devices)

Last edited by defo; 12-21-10 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 05:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Best advice I can give is ..
Get yourself an owners manual and read it. Lexus used to give complementary copies ... check Lexus.com

Salim
Old 12-22-10, 05:58 AM
Leines
Pole Position

I cant use lexus.com....and it seems lexus.ca isnt nearly as nice with its features...
Old 12-24-10, 09:45 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Do not tap into the cigarette lighter this is was designed to light a cigarette not power the whole car. Go buy yourself a a fog light wiring kit with a relay and fuse that you can mount directly to the battery this way if you blow up anything it isn't your car. They cost about $20 for a kit and you can run 1000w off them and you can switch them off and won't stay on when ignition is on if you wire up ignition wire as well. If you must have cigarette sockets wire one each to the ends that way you will have 2 more you can expand as much as you want.
Old 12-25-10, 04:17 PM
Leines
Pole Position

well i dont think i need cigarette sockets.. im sure i could strip the car adapters and hard wire them in.... i just bought myself an 8" tablet media player ( xvid,mkv,h264,avi etc) that im going to mount upfront and hook into my rear monitors... i also wanna have the wii adapter, and my siruis radio adapter.... is it a better idea to wire cigarette sockets..and plug these adapters in regularly... or could i hard wire these adapters directly to the foglight kit as you were talking about???

Id be trying to power like 4 things that all come with car adapters now..

Cheers