RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

TRD high-flow air filter has ARRIVED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-02, 10:20 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jonnystan
Peace man, PEACE.

I just put in a K&N Filter in my RX and I can feel a difference too. Nothing major, but it has improved gas mileage and my accelaration is a bit more responsive. I too, am getting a RMM exhaust (today it will come hopefully), and the combination of the two should make a big difference.

Hey, if nothing else, I'll have a cool sounding exhaust and the peace of mind that I have a good filter! Right?
Right on man - PEACE! Yup, if nothin' else you and I will both hve a cool sounding exhaust and the best filter available... but if you're like me, knowin' that there's something even better out there (i.e. weapon-r air box and intake) makes it only a matter of time before I've GOTTA have one
ck
Old 08-12-02, 10:56 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

Who cares that your friend is the HEAD OF SERVICE? I am not sure if someone who wants to go for a performance upgrade would prefer a drop-in filter. Maybe you would cuz you know crap about ur performance part. U and ur friend know anything about performance part. And by the way, u can never catch up with my RX becuz what I do to it is way beyond what you and your friend know (Head of SERVICE ). All I can say is, you are not getting much performacne differenct for a crappy $100 dollars or less for your cheap *** TRD filter. WOOOOOO!!!!. You pay more and you get more, that's the real world loser and to your loser HEAD OF SERVICE friend.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-12-02 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 10:58 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

And dude, if you are so happy with ur TRD filter, why are u trying to purchase a Weapon R INTAKE???
Old 08-12-02, 11:30 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Swing913
And dude, if you are so happy with ur TRD filter, why are u trying to purchase a Weapon R INTAKE???
My gosh you certainly are hostile, aren't you? Relax a little bit, okay? This stuff is supposed to be FUN
I'm trying to purchase a Weapon R Intake so that I can observe the performance difference between the TRD/K&N and the WR intake for myself.... Like I stated earlier, I know that an intake would give me more performance than a high-flow filter - I never denied that in any way.
If/when I do purchase the WR Intake, I'll report my findings and comparisons between the two here on the forum - glad to contribute any way I can. In the meantime, relax a little brotha - this is supposed to be FUN.
Old 08-12-02, 12:26 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a weapon R but the website says they will only fit 2000-up Rx's....I have a 99 Does anyone know if they are correct? Is there any difference in the 99 and the 2000 intakes? So until I figure out what will fit, I guess I am stuck with a K&N. Not to mention I have no $$$

Swing- I dont want to get into this at all....but you sound like a 13 year old fighting with his parents. CHILL OUT. CK1 apologized for arguing....so why restart the fight?

ARENT WE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE>>>>MY FELLOW RX LOVERS!!
Old 08-12-02, 03:39 PM
Visitor
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys document your performance with a dyno graph?
Different car models respond differently to mods., it would be interesting to see what intake, exhaust and/or headers do for the RX.

Personally, I would not mess with mine unless it's for something more substantial, a Supercharger or turbo comes to mind.
Old 08-12-02, 04:34 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

performance upgrades can be subjective...the "easiest" way to compare is if we could do a head to head between all the intakes...even then, the only way to get an accurate measure is on the dyno for hp increase...gas mileage improvements are harder to measure...driving style/pattern is different for everyone and that has the most impact on the measurements...we're here to learn people...let's stay constructive...
Old 08-12-02, 04:34 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aight..i just happened to stumble across this and since i have both filters, i figured what the heck..ill improve my post count j/k
I have a K&N cone filter on my 1992 SC300 and a TRD drop in filter on my dads 1999 GS300. Now, i do feel more changes on my car, but i have the cone filter to suck in more air. However, i did notice that w/ my dads car, the TRD filter has helped a lil.
Swing, just to clarify a few points (not flaming): u said taht once u clean an air filter, etc. its no good. Well w/ both the K&N and TRD, once u clean it, u MUST put the oil on it (that is what makes these performance filters...the filter has sooo many holes in it its crazy, but the oil is the key to them). U r right about the warranty tho, just put the stock box back in.

Now, i can say that they have both helped out a lil, but not THAT much. They might help out more w/ some more bolt ons like exhaust, turbos (sorry RX guys), etc. Now, i wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for a filter, but u cna get them fairly cheap (i won teh TRD filter (thanks to the CL raffle) and the K$N cone filter set me back like $45 (it was a while back when i got it but i think it was around there....just go to a ricer shop and get one (or pepboys, autozone, etc.)
Old 08-12-02, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Indeed.

Another advantage of a K&N or other high performance filter is you don't have to replace them,just oil and clean periodically. Saves you about $70 every 30k service interval, cause they would otherwise replace.
Old 08-13-02, 09:15 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Hmmm...

So why is it exactly that a cold air box & intake voids your warranty? Does it just give the dealer an excuse to point towards if something goes wrong? In my mind, there doesn't seem to be any real danger - all your doing is breathing more air into your engine...
Old 08-13-02, 09:30 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think it voided ur warranty. The reason fro this might be b/c there isn't an "official" intake made by Lexus/Toyota for the RX (please correct me if i am wrong as i am not an RX aficionado (sp?))
Old 08-13-02, 10:23 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300
I didn't think it voided ur warranty. The reason fro this might be b/c there isn't an "official" intake made by Lexus/Toyota for the RX (please correct me if i am wrong as i am not an RX aficionado (sp?))
No, there isn't an "official" intake made by Lexus for the RX - you are correct... but I'm not sure that's the reason, as the Lexus dealer actually ordered and is going to install "approvingly" my Rod Millen Motorsport exhaust - also not an "official" exhaust. Maybe this is different because of the nature of an exhaust as opposed to an air intake on the engine? A bit less obtrusive perhaps... but dealers aren't usually prone to using that kind of discretion are they?
Old 08-13-02, 10:58 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CK1,

Write the intake manufacturer and ask them if there are any warranty issues with the installation of their product.

While you're waiting for an answer, read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. An online search will find it easily.

Here's a relevant passage...or why you can buy other manufacturer's parts for your car:

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2302(C)

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.
Old 08-13-02, 11:07 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Paddy Wagon
CK1,

Write the intake manufacturer and ask them if there are any warranty issues with the installation of their product.

While you're waiting for an answer, read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. An online search will find it easily.

Here's a relevant passage...or why you can buy other manufacturer's parts for your car:

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Section 2302(C)

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.
Thanks Paddy - that's great stuff! I've already e-mailed weapon-r to get their take on any possible warranty invaildation from their intake... sounds to me like I've just got to make sure that weapon supports the fact that the intake is a suitable replacement component for the stock airbox... trouble might be in getting Lexus to acknowledge the fact that an intake is a safe and suitable replacement for an airbox... And in taking it to that extreme, it really becomes to much of a hassle to mess with - either I'd get an intake and just take it off every 3-5,000 miles when I go in for an oil change, or I'd just be happy with the good-enough gains my TRD high-flow filter has given me. Don't want to mess around in a legal battle, ya know?
Thanks again,
Ck
Old 08-13-02, 07:26 PM
satxrx
Driver

On a more mellower note:

Hey, CK1 would you might posting the part number for the TRD filter? And where can I get one? Dealer? Website? Thanks!

Quick Reply: TRD high-flow air filter has ARRIVED!