RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

TRD high-flow air filter has ARRIVED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 12:04 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking TRD high-flow air filter has ARRIVED!

Lexus just called and my TRD high-flow filter is in! I'm going to go pick it up and drop it in this afternoon - then I'll giver 'er the ol' zoom test and see how she goes... Chances are I won't stop driving all weekend, but I'll post my findings on Monday - I can't wait - gotta love PERFORMANCE upgrades
Old 08-09-02, 07:59 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

I don't know if you know this, your TRD Drop in filter won't do you any good.
Old 08-11-02, 09:45 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by Swing913
I don't know if you know this, your TRD Drop in filter won't do you any good.
Could you please elaborate? I'm interested in finding out more about the high-flow filter from TRD, too. Thanks.
Old 08-11-02, 09:53 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

Well, for drop in filters, you won't notice any performance upgrade at all. You need an intake to really feel the difference. The better drop in filters would be the K&N one.
Old 08-12-02, 07:01 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Well, for drop in filters, you won't notice any performance upgrade at all. You need an intake to really feel the difference. The better drop in filters would be the K&N one.
Swing, you're right about one thing: an intake would definately exceed the performance gains of the high-flow filter... However, by saying that my 'TRD filter won't do me any good,' certainly you must have meant that:

1. It has made acceleration more responsive
2. It has added better high end torque
3. It increased high-end torque
4. It increased my average gas mileage by 4 mpg!!!
5. It is replaceable and cleanable
6. It eliminated downshift stutter
7. It does all of this WITHOUT voiding warranty as a cold-air box & intake would.

Not to be a jerk, but I've gotta question you a bit swing, especially due to the fact that the TRD filter is the same K&N filter you told satxrx was 'the better drop-in filter.'
All other people on this forum who used the K&N/TRD filter must be incorrect in reporting their findings on the above as well then... the dealer mechanics along with Lexus/Toyota must also be incorrect.
Swing, the TRD filter IMPROVES air flow by 50%... now, when you breathe more air into an engine, what happens? Performance/horsepower INCREASES... this may not be as dramatic as with an intake, but you are DEFINATELY not correct in stating that it, "won't do any good."
On a more positive, less critical note... I couldn't be happier with the TRD filter - I drove all over the place this weekend - highway and city driving to the Creed concert at Alpine Valley (WI), Sheboygan, downtown Milwaukee, etc... Gas mileage average after 2 full tanks of gas (1 reformulated, 1 not reformulated) is a full 4 mpg better! Acceleration has DEFINATELY improved across the board... quicker from a dead stop and ESPECIALLY at passing speeds - there is almost zero acceleration lag now I did notice that the filter seems to have changed the sound of the engine a bit as others have reported - just sounds different and maybe a tiny bit louder... very subtle though.... especially compared to the RMM exhaust that I've got coming!
I'll post any further observations on the filter as I make them.
Sorry Swing - don't mean to burst your bubble, but you're just plain wrong.
ck
Old 08-12-02, 07:17 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

Hey Rookie, are you reading those off the stats sheet that came with your TRD Air filter or did you actually measure the air flow went up by 50%, if so, I am very impressed. Unless you measured that with some sort of accurate equipment, otherwise, the specs sheet is just a piece of crap like you. TRD air filter is just a filter that is 1% better than your stock one and trying to rip your money off kid.
Old 08-12-02, 07:18 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

Oh yeah, and one thing about the warranty, who give a ****. If something messed up, just buy a new car. Besides, you can always put the original air box back in and still get the warranty.
Old 08-12-02, 07:20 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

Oh and to finish up all the specs you just said, who cares if it's replaceable or cleanable, after you cleanned a filter, the performance decrease even more which means it's down to 0% for your TRD filter, JUST BUY A NEW ONE, DAMNIT. If you spend a little more money and do a little more research and read all the forms back then, you'll know what I am talking about ROOKIE.
Old 08-12-02, 07:32 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Thanks for setting me straight.

Hey Rookie, are you reading those off the stats sheet that came with your TRD Air filter or did you actually measure the air flow went up by 50%, if so, I am very impressed. Unless you measured that with some sort of accurate equipment, otherwise, the specs sheet is just a piece of crap like you. TRD air filter is just a filter that is 1% better than your stock one and trying to rip your money off kid.
Okay, thanks for setting me straight swing!!!
By the way when are you releasing your line of high-performance parts? When is your automobile line since you seem to know more than the dealer mechanics. By the way, I didn't measure the TRD air filter's flow - but my buddy who is the HEAD OF SERVICE at Lexus DID measure the flow on the TRD filter, and the "spec sheet" is correct - 49% increase in air flow... To further clarify, this isn't just a guy at the dealership who pretends to be friendly to sell me stuff - this is a guy who I fish with on the weekends and play with in a band... There's no reason for him to bull****. Did I mention he's the head of service?
Oh, by the way - where are your measurements taken with "accurate equipment" to support your "1%" performance improvement? Also, to clarify, a 4 mpg increase from 19.1 mpg to 23.2 mpg IS NOT a 1% increase - to be exact, 21.58% increase.
Please go back to the hole you gutter you crawled out of - that way when I whip past in my RX I can splash water and mud all over you.
Kid? Thanks, but not a "kid." I don't think I started the name calling. And if I am a piece of crap, then I hope my stink gets all over you - it'd be an improvement.
Regards,
ck
Old 08-12-02, 07:38 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Oh and to finish up all the specs you just said, who cares if it's replaceable or cleanable, after you cleanned a filter, the performance decrease even more which means it's down to 0% for your TRD filter, JUST BUY A NEW ONE, DAMNIT. If you spend a little more money and do a little more research and read all the forms back then, you'll know what I am talking about ROOKIE.
Where are you getting your information? And who are you again? - certainly if your this knowledgeable in the auto industry your reputation must preceed you. So let me get this straight - you clean the filter and the performance DECREASES. Right. Okay there it is!
Old 08-12-02, 08:20 AM
Handogen
Driver

Cut it out! Don't stink up our forum with your mudslinging. Both of you!

Things can be debated without name calling.. jeeeez!

-Hando
Old 08-12-02, 08:27 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Handogen
Cut it out! Don't stink up our forum with your mudslinging. Both of you!

Things can be debated without name calling.. jeeeez!

-Hando
Okay - you're right Hando... my bad. I let a "discussion" get the best of me. I still feel like a guest here because I'm so new... sorry about the trouble. I appreciate all the great resources here and don't want to ruin anyone else's fun here!
Old 08-12-02, 09:22 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I can't believe what I'm reading...an argument in the RX forum :eek: I don't know how this went bad but no more will be tolerated.

Guys I hope you can settle your differences.
Old 08-12-02, 09:25 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX
I can't believe what I'm reading...an argument in the RX forum :eek: I don't know how this went bad but no more will be tolerated.

Guys I hope you can settle your differences.
You betcha! You won't have any more problems with me - I'm here to learn, not to argue.
Old 08-12-02, 09:51 AM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peace man, PEACE.

I just put in a K&N Filter in my RX and I can feel a difference too. Nothing major, but it has improved gas mileage and my accelaration is a bit more responsive. I too, am getting a RMM exhaust (today it will come hopefully), and the combination of the two should make a big difference.

Hey, if nothing else, I'll have a cool sounding exhaust and the peace of mind that I have a good filter! Right?

Quick Reply: TRD high-flow air filter has ARRIVED!