RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX Cupholders??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 05:54 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX Cupholders??

For the last couple days I have had an RX Loaner and have come to the conclusion that the cup holders SUCK. Other than that, I really think the RX's are pretty nice SUV, but I just can't get over the fact that Lexus would but such #$@# cupholders in one of their vehicles.

Do any of you feel the same way or am I just very picky??
Old 08-16-02, 08:15 AM
Goncookoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im still partial to the old cup holders than hang on the sides of doors! i loved those things. you can put a drink anywhere. now with the side airbags etc... im afraid to use them.

but yea they are kind of in an awkward place. at least the ones between the two bucket seats. but i got used to reaching to the side and behind me and they dotn bother me as much anymore.

as for the ones in the drawers in the center console... well they are useless to me... im a pack rat and there is so much stuff jammed in there that the cup holder tray is useless.
Old 08-16-02, 08:25 AM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

I agree, the cupholders in the middle arm rest that pop out and are plastic suck cuz they squeak if you have like a can or plastic water bottle. Plus, they just look ugly.
Old 08-16-02, 08:40 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found the ones in the cupholders in the drawer and they seem to be much more functional. The fold out ones seem cheap.
Old 08-16-02, 09:24 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

To avoid the rattling of cans, etc, I bought some black felt fabric and cut it to the circular size of the holders. Sure has been a quite ride since then.
Old 08-16-02, 04:50 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I always use the ones in the drawer and found them more useful than most. I especially like the adjustable arm.

What freak size drinks are you people using

Last edited by LexRX; 08-16-02 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 06:54 AM
scooby doo
Driver School Candidate

Default how many drinks are you packing?

Respectfully, I think you are being too picky about the cupholders. There are four cup holders upfront and thats a lot of drinks to be packing unless you installed some type of wetbar that was not mentioned.

Personnally, if you want to be very **** about things, the last thing I want is for my passengers to eat and drink in my car and mess the whole place. After all, my RX is not a movie theater where you carry a bucket of popcorn and the 7-11 type softdrink.

Scooby
Old 08-19-02, 07:14 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: how many drinks are you packing?

Originally posted by scooby doo
Respectfully, I think you are being too picky about the cupholders. There are four cup holders upfront and thats a lot of drinks to be packing unless you installed some type of wetbar that was not mentioned.

Personnally, if you want to be very **** about things, the last thing I want is for my passengers to eat and drink in my car and mess the whole place. After all, my RX is not a movie theater where you carry a bucket of popcorn and the 7-11 type softdrink.

Scooby
exactly! Right on scoob - nobody drinks in my ride 'cept me... and if I do it's usually water anyways. Ain't no way to really clean your ride if somebody spills a soda or some **** - just ain't worth it. So if you wanna drink a "bucket o' pop," get your big mac eatin', tub o pepsi drinkin', french fry dippin' *** outta my LEX!
By the way - I don't thing cup holders outta be your deciding factor when purchasing an auto - you sound like my Mom! No offense intended - just having fun and voicing an opinion.
Old 08-20-02, 03:28 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

man those cup holders are weak!! it cant hold my drinks well. when i move the car, the adjustable arm on the holder would pop back to normal when i pop it tight so it wont move... i'd rather have cup holders that'll say pocket the drink instead.... but o well hahah
Old 08-07-03, 08:00 AM
badams
Pole Position

I've had the RX330 as a loaner twice now and I don't think there are any drink holders for backseat passengers to use. I own a RX300 and the backseat passengers can use the middle drink holders but the new RX330 has them way to far forward for practical backseat use.

Unless they are hidden somewhere?

badams
Old 08-07-03, 08:33 AM
anonymous
Pit Crew

Originally posted by badams
I've had the RX330 as a loaner twice now and I don't think there are any drink holders for backseat passengers to use. I own a RX300 and the backseat passengers can use the middle drink holders but the new RX330 has them way to far forward for practical backseat use.

Unless they are hidden somewhere?

badams
They're located in the middle seat. You just have to bring it down from the seat and voila! Armrest and cupholder.
Old 08-07-03, 08:56 AM
badams
Pole Position

Ah! We had a child seat in both times so the middle part couldn't fold down. That explains it. I was thinking, "How could they not put drink holders in the back of the RX330?".

For the record I am pretty happy with the drink holders in the RX300. It holds every drink I have ever wanted it to hold. Usually 12 oz. cans and larger plastic soda bottles. We don't ever get BIG Gulps or anything like that.

Thanks,
badams
Old 08-07-03, 03:56 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have long thought the holders are very weak IMO. The console holders are too low to hold cups in any hard turn, and are not tight. I have had stuff spill.

All the holders simply need a moderately strong spring-loaded arm to actually grip the container, and need to be at suffiecient height to support the container. Every time I put a drink in any of the holders I grimace at the thought of it spilling. I believe Lexus should have put a bit more thought into these simple devices.
Old 01-23-04, 01:40 PM
The Sebastian Cat
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 Cupholders

You can make the cuholders custom it using an old can coozy. Cut the coozy down until it is even with the cup retaining arm. It will keep most travel mugs from flopping around and the retainer will keep it in place when you pull the cup out. You can also wedge a coozy into the holder and use it to support smaller bottles. Of course you can't close the cupholder, but your cup is in it anyway.

On the cupholder in the drawer, use the fuzzy side of large velcro to pad the holder. This will prevent rattles and can give you a custom fit for your travel mug. If that's not secure enough use the velco to mount a scrap of the coozy you cut up above.

Old 01-23-04, 04:13 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSC, good ideas - and welcome to CL!

Quick Reply: RX Cupholders??