RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 08:57 PM
RinnDogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leather Care

Just got my car back from the dealer (had some stuff checked out for my 1k mile appointment), and after I got home I noticed that the technicians pants must have been dirty because the leather seats were dirty

ANYWAY, what leather cleaning and care products would you recommend, where can I find it, and how much (approximately) would it be?

Autonetperformance has leather cleaner and moisturizer for $29+S&H. Is that a good deal?

Thanks

PS: I don't know if it matters, but I am talking about the Coach Edition seats
Old 08-18-02, 09:54 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Take the car back to the dealer and get the job done for free.

Else:
The dealer parts sells Lexus Leather cleaner which works well but will NOT remove ink stains.

Other good cleaner to use is Lexol (sp?) available at Pep Boys etc.

I would spray on the cleaner on a soft towel and rub the seat.

Note: The leather gets darker as it absorbs the cleaner and you have to let it dry to retun to orig color. Check first.

Soft shoe polish brush works wonders in cleaning out betweeen the cracks/texture of the leather.

Salim
Old 08-18-02, 10:38 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by salimshah
Take the car back to the dealer and get the job done for free.

I have to echo this.

Even at what I consider GOOD Lexus dealers/service I've had this happen. I never, ever leave the service center until I've done a complete walk-around and inspection. Dirty seats? yup, been there, done that. No excuses for this... besides being $35k-75k vehicles, they are also folks pride and joy, something that I personally worked hard for rewarded myself. They need to have more respect for folks property. What I don't understand is why they don't have some kind of cheap plastic slipcover they could throw on the seats while they work. They got those throwaway carpet mats...

ALWAYS inspect your vehicle before leaving the service area. Another bit of advice is always avoid picking up your vehicle after sundown if possible. There are a lot of things that you can miss in a dimly lit parking lot.

I finally got tired of all the little micro-dings and scratches they were leaving on the wood steering wheel... made a stink.. they replaced it. If they can't get the grease off the seat, make them replace it.
Old 08-19-02, 12:46 AM
RinnDogg

Default ^

Thanks for the feedback guys. Actually, I had a relative pick it up for me because I was in the Sacramento area at the time and the car was getting serviced in the San Francisco area. They (relatives) didn't really notice it, I guess. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-19-02, 10:29 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Also, to answer your original question (I'm not wwest and just like to hear myself talk), I've talked to auto leather experts and they all say just about any product on the market is good and is better than using nothing when maintaining leather. Two products that you can't go wrong with are:

1. Lexus Brand Leather Care -- these products are actually made by Connolly, the same folks who produce auto leathers for Jaguars, etc.

2. Lexol -- this is the industry standard that is widely available at any auto parts store. I use this with no problems.

You always want to get a separate cleaner and conditioner. In the Lexol case, you use a damp sponge to work up the lather (it's like using saddle soap), which means the leather will dry out a little from the water evaporating. You always want to follow up with conditioner after cleaning.

Hope this helps,
TC

Last edited by RX300TC; 08-19-02 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-19-02, 05:34 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Hey if those stains are really bad go out and get a bottle of soft scrub (you may even have it laying around in the house) and find one of those little paint brushes with the nylons tips. Put a few drops where the stain is and make sure the brush is damp and lightly rub it in circles and then clean it off with a white towel and they should go away. It will do wonders. there is a thread about this its called soft scrub or something. I did this to my 95 SC and I was amazed. My leather looks like new. Give it a try to a stain it will really get out just about any stains on leather carpet or vinyl. Hope it help.

P.S I would take it to the dealer first but After I got my car tuned up at the dealership I realized they will rip you off any way they can. They might even find a way to charge you for it so becareful and definitly follow the advice of other and do a walk around check before you leave because they some how do some weird stuff to our cars while they're there. If you get something replaced or fixed check it before you leave.

oh yea...My mom used soft scrub on her leather and its like new again. The arm rest were starting to ger darker from dirt and cracked but now they're nice a soft and match the rest of the leather. By the way dont be too ruff you could damage the leather like if you put on too much soft scrub or rub to hard with the brush. She got lazy and used a towel instead of a brush and I think she might have damaged the leather a little but but I used leather conditioner wipes and they're in perfect condition now. The key is to follow up with a good condition and let it soak in nicely
Later

Last edited by jimmit; 08-19-02 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 06:55 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Zymol baby!

I had a co-worker recommend a product called Zymol - he drives a mint caddy so ya know he cares about his ride.
Bought Zymol last week at Target (yeah, that's right, as in Target stores with little "target" logo). It cost me $16 I think for both the cleaner and the conditioner - cleaned and then conditioned on Thursday with VERY nice results - gives it that nice leather smell in the ride again too!
Good luck-
ck
Old 08-20-02, 03:30 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

i used the one in a car care kit that came with my touch of class. It smells GOOD =) like a cherry ICEE.. MmMmmmmMm

o and after i do the leather, its all night and SMOOTH and SUPPLE and SOFT... man my butt slides all over the place!
Old 08-21-02, 12:35 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Hmmm....

I used some Armor All leather protectant on mine and it is anything but smooth. It wont let me slide out by any means....I feel like I have to peel my butt off everytime I get out. Any ideas whats causing this? Crappy Product?
Old 08-21-02, 12:41 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Jonnystan
Hmmm....

I used some Armor All leather protectant on mine and it is anything but smooth. It wont let me slide out by any means....I feel like I have to peel my butt off everytime I get out. Any ideas whats causing this? Crappy Product?
Armor All isn't bad for the dash/ plastic, vinyl, etc. - in fact it's great! But their leather care is really lacking IMHO. Any product that is a cleaner/conditioner in one is really lacking when it comes to leather care. They specialize in protecting synthetics, and leather's a whole different ball game - it's like buying a luxury car from Saturn - just not who you'd look to for luxury.
On the other hand, I don't think Armor All is bad for the leather and is definately better than nothing at all, but not the best tool for the job either - like using a vice grips when you really need a socket wrench. (sorry about all the metaphors)
Look at Zymol or some comparable 2 step cleaner/conditioner - a bit more expensive and takes a bit longer, but you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-21-02, 03:44 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Ya I think your right. Love the metaphors. I will get some real stuff next time I am out.
Old 08-22-02, 02:47 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Armor All/Jonnystan

Are you sure you using Armorall and not Super glue? That would explain your butt sticking to the seats

Sorry couldnt resist HEHE
Old 08-24-02, 01:12 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had similar problems, grease on seat bases, etc.

SUGGESTION : if you have one of the digicams, take a film closeup of your entire car on the lot as you drop it off, inside and out. Let them see what you are doing. As soon as I get one of these I plan to do this every time. Let me know if it works for you.

Especially wheels. Check your wheel lug recessed areas for nicks from the air socket wrenches. # of my wheels have several nicks very likely from wheel rotations as they were spotless otherwise (except one the wife took over a curb, argghhh. I took her keys away, fast!) and the marks are lateral to the wheel, just like as a spinning socket would make. A tire dealer confirmed to me that this happens if they aren't very careful.

I now go to the trouble of practically detailing the car before I take it in for service, cleaning out any clutter to so they see what looks llike a NEW car. That way they see a perfectly clean car and I HOPE take better care of it. ALso it makes it easier for me to quickly spot new issues.

I make a point of telling them there are NO scratches on any of the wood ANYWHERE!

My dealer also now has a check slip they use to tell you what marks are on the loaners and there is one for the car being serviced, they do a quick walk around and have me sign off for minor dings on the exterior..... wow. I guess they can get burned too with people claiming they did the damage.

They also give you a small handi-wipe to clean off their dirt, I find this unbelievable for a 40k car and service that costs, well, IMO a lot!

rc