RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear rotors grinding, needs any help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 07:56 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear rotors grinding, needs any help!!!

Just replaced the rear pads and rotors on my 01 RX300 and took it for a test when I notice hearing alot of grinding and smoke coming from the rear tires. Like the pads are engaging on the rotors the whole time. Even when on drive, the car would not roll. I did everything right, i believe. Is this normal??? Any input would be great and highly appreciated.
Old 02-13-11, 09:32 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmysc3
Just replaced the rear pads and rotors on my 01 RX300 and took it for a test when I notice hearing alot of grinding and smoke coming from the rear tires. Like the pads are engaging on the rotors the whole time. Even when on drive, the car would not roll. I did everything right, i believe. Is this normal??? Any input would be great and highly appreciated.
You already know things are not normal.

If you have a FWD, you should ensure the rear wheels should spin freely before jacking the wheel down.

All parts should have assembled without forcing any part. Disassemble and put it back. Check both wheels and if one spins free, then use it as a reference to fix the other.

You mentioned .. replacing the rotor. So make sure, the parking brake mechanism is not dragging.

Salim
Old 02-14-11, 12:15 AM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

the rear wheels both spin freely and i triple checked that everything was ok. My concerns were when i pulled over to check them, there was smoke coming from the rotors, and the brake pads grinding on the rotor. I did have trouble removing the driver side rotor but both rotors over heated and smoked. I'll do another inspection tomorrow but if there's any other input, that's be great. Thank you.
Old 02-14-11, 07:45 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

the rear wheels both spin freely and i triple checked that everything was ok. My concerns were when i pulled over to check them, there was smoke coming from the rotors, and the brake pads grinding on the rotor. I did have trouble removing the driver side rotor but both rotors over heated and smoked. I'll do another inspection tomorrow but if there's any other input, that's be great. Thank you.
Did you clean & re-lube the caliper slide pins?
Old 02-14-11, 11:30 AM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

=D Ahh i haven't. I must've forgotten to do that. With the rainy weather coming, i'm gonna have to wait until the weather get's better. Let's hope that be it. Also, the heat from the pads left the rotors discolored around the outer hub where the brake drums are under and also on the disc's itself. It's like a gold or copper color. I'm guessing it's from all the friction from the pads engaging the rotors as i was taking it for a test.
Old 02-14-11, 02:57 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

=D Ahh i haven't. I must've forgotten to do that. With the rainy weather coming, i'm gonna have to wait until the weather get's better. Let's hope that be it. Also, the heat from the pads left the rotors discolored around the outer hub where the brake drums are under and also on the disc's itself. It's like a gold or copper color. I'm guessing it's from all the friction from the pads engaging the rotors as i was taking it for a test.
Slide pins on the RX are notorius trouble-makers. The first time I changed rear pads the slide pins were seized so I started lubing every two years when I replaced brake fluid. That was a good interval as the pins were already getting a little dry. There is very little clearance between the pin OD and the caliper bore so most of the lube gets squeezed out during assembly. Make sure you clean well and remove all old grease. Use a high quality synthetic brake lube. Even if that doesn't solve your current problem it will prevent an equally troublesome different problem.
Old 02-14-11, 04:28 PM
salimshah

If they did spin free when you put the pads on, they are certainly at not any more .. (unless I have totally misunderstood your post). I usually take a rubber mallet and bang on the drum portion of the rear to help settle in things.

When you put the wheel on and torque the lug bolts, the disc (front and rear) gets adjusted. I always take the opportunity to flush out the fluid. Do that if you have not done so, specially now that the slave pistons have been pushed back.

Salim
Old 02-14-11, 05:53 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

Gonna get started on it in an hour. Two main things i'm gonna check for are the slide pins and if the caliper piston is bedded in. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for your inputs!
Old 02-14-11, 05:56 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

oh btw, what's the brand name lube that you use artbuc?
Old 02-15-11, 08:42 AM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

So the slide pins were seized up and was pretty much dried up. No lube on it at all. Went ahead and lube it with what the guy at my local auto store recommends. Another thing i find strange were the grinding noise didnt come from the pads dragging, it was coming from the caliper bracket rubbing on the rotors. So i disassembled everything, checked it and the rotors where effed up, both rear rotors. So now i went from replacing the old to new, the new to old, and im back where i started. Ill post up some pictures i took of the caliper bracket, rotor and pads whenever my friends forwards me them.

Last edited by jimmysc3; 02-15-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 10:27 AM
salimshah

So the slide pins were seized up and was pretty much dried up. No lube on it at all. Went ahead and lube it with what the guy at my local auto store recommends. Another thing i find strange were the grinding noise didnt come from the pads dragging, it was coming from the caliper bracket rubbing on the rotors. So i disassembled everything, checked it and the rotors where effed up, both rear rotors. So now i went from replacing the old to new, the new to old, and im back where i started. Ill post up some pictures i took of the caliper bracket, rotor and pads whenever my friends forwards me them.
DId you measure the new vs old rotors? Although the new rotors are all scratched up and your calipers, you may get your money back on the rotors. Some of the drying up could be due to excessive heat the setup generated. Lube is/was needed.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-15-11 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 11:08 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Another thing i find strange were the grinding noise didnt come from the pads dragging, it was coming from the caliper bracket rubbing on the rotors. So i disassembled everything, checked it and the rotors where effed up, both rear rotors.
How were they effed-up?
Old 02-15-11, 04:32 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

There are different rear rotors for FWD vs AWD. Did you possibly end up with the wrong parts? What you are describing has nothing to do with stuck caliper slides. The slides would only be a problem if you couldn't easily reassemble things and forced the caliper back on making the outside pad drag.

Last edited by carguy07; 02-15-11 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 11:39 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

As far as the AWD or FWD rotors and pads, I don't know. I had my brother get me all that and he told me he got the right parts. Until I looked at the reciept it shows the guy at Kragen rung him up for 2000 rx300 pads and rear rotors. But it had nothing to do with the slide pins. Im going to attempt tp upload the pics. Not sure on how to upload them correctly.
Old 02-15-11, 11:40 PM
jimmysc3
Driver School Candidate

file:///file:///C:/Users/Jim/Downloads/photo-2.JPGCfifile:///C:/Users/Jim/Downloads/photo-1.JPGle:///C:/Users/Jim/Downloads/photo.JPG:/Users/Jim/Downloads/photo-3.JPG

Quick Reply: Rear rotors grinding, needs any help!!!